You are not logged in.

#26 2010-01-02 19:33:56

pogeymanz

Re: What is a nice way to shutdown in a WM?

drcouzelis wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:

Some of my running apps freak out and leave errors (that I can see for a few moments after X dies but before it shuts down) along the lines of "Holy crap: can't find screen 0, OMG crash dead"

Is there a smarter way to shutdown? Maybe a script that sends sigterm calls to all running programs first?

Are you looking for behavior more similar to Windows? I mean, when you tell the computer to shutdown, it first asks all the applications to quit. If an application doesn't want to close yet, (for example, if there is a popup asking if you want to save an unsaved document) then the OS will wait until the application is finished closing. Is that what you are looking for?

I'm sorry, I don't know of a way to do that in Linux. I really like the way Linux handles shutting down though. When I tell it to shutdown now, it shuts down now! big_smile This way, the computer is doing exactly what I tell it to do, instead of what the software wants to do. I just close all of applications first, including any web browsers and IM clients.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your question.

You have it right. That's what I was asking. It's no big deal really, I've been doing it this way for years.

#27 2010-01-15 02:53:42

Wintervenom

Found Jesus Superstar's [Pancakes].

Last edited by Wintervenom (2010-01-15 02:54:11)

#28 2010-01-15 03:49:41

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

On a BSD system, you'd probably prefer shutdown to halt. On Arch, they seem identical, as last I looked, halt calls shutdown anyway.

#29 2010-01-15 04:16:58

Cyrusm

really?  I just unplug my 'puter and plug it back in.....

(p.s. I'm joking! don't do it!)

Last edited by Cyrusm (2010-01-15 04:18:38)

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#30 2010-01-15 05:42:15

milomouse
Website

Hm, I haven't really thought about this. Usually I don't have any foreground applications open when I close my window manager (via whatever option it has to Quit). Once the WM closes I do a "poweroff" in the console which kills any background apps and daemons and shutdown the computer. I've never seen any performance/stability issues with background apps closing on shutdown. Also, I don't use HAL.

Last edited by milomouse (2010-01-15 05:42:44)

#31 2010-01-15 11:58:28

dumas

pogeymanz wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:

Some of my running apps freak out and leave errors (that I can see for a few moments after X dies but before it shuts down) along the lines of "Holy crap: can't find screen 0, OMG crash dead"

Is there a smarter way to shutdown? Maybe a script that sends sigterm calls to all running programs first?

Are you looking for behavior more similar to Windows? I mean, when you tell the computer to shutdown, it first asks all the applications to quit. If an application doesn't want to close yet, (for example, if there is a popup asking if you want to save an unsaved document) then the OS will wait until the application is finished closing. Is that what you are looking for?

I'm sorry, I don't know of a way to do that in Linux. I really like the way Linux handles shutting down though. When I tell it to shutdown now, it shuts down now! big_smile This way, the computer is doing exactly what I tell it to do, instead of what the software wants to do. I just close all of applications first, including any web browsers and IM clients.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your question.

You have it right. That's what I was asking. It's no big deal really, I've been doing it this way for years.

I've been looking for ways to do it "the windows way" too. The reason is that with virtual desktops, I might forget to close some terminals with vi on. If vi is not yet saved, it leaves a .swp, and next time I need to figure out whether the swap version is the one I want or not, which can get very messy. If course now I am all used to checking all terminals before shutting down, but a script to aid me would help. Think about the potential headache of losing data because of mistakenly deleted swap files! Also, machines should do mechanical checks, which I for one suck at doing. I think someone with the knowledge should do it. Does pancake do what I want? Sorry but I'm too busy at the moment to check.

Board footer