Re: Bauerbill: Powerpill + ABS, AUR, CPAN and Hackage support + more

@cool
It's not a typo. Read the info page. wink

Thanks for reporting it nevertheless.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#577 2010-03-21 17:35:40

Kazuki

First of all, thank you very much for this. bauerbill is really awesome and has completely replaced yaourt for me.

There are 2 problems I encountered:

If I use "bauerbill -Si" to look up information of a package the umlauts are not displayed correctly:

bauerbill -Si powerpill

Repositorium         : community
Name                 : powerpill
Version              : 17.1-1
Installed      : yes
URL                  : http://xyne.archlinux.ca/info/powerpill
Lizenzen             : GPL  
Gruppen              : Nichts
Stellt bereit        : Nichts
Hängt ab von         : aria2  perl  perl-xyne-arch>=1.0  perl-xyne-common  
Optionale Abhängigkeiten: perl-crypt-ssleay: for reflector support
Konflikt mit         : Nichts
Ersetzt              : Nichts
Download-GröÃe       :   4,14 K
InstallationsgröÃe   :  20,00 K
Packer               : Xyne
Architektur          : any
Erstellt am          : Di 02 Feb 2010 19:57:08 CET
MD5-Summe            : 4b8aee2253e7c22bf1edbe16d821f734
Beschreibung         : A wrapper for pacman that speeds up package retrieval by
                       using aria2c for concurrent/segmented downloads.

pacman as well as powerpill display them correctly. "bauerbill -Qi" has no problem with displaying umlauts.

If I enable PatchDir in the options and [e]dit the PKGBUILD, I get no [d]iff at the prompt. If I try to [d]iff nonetheless, I get an error message about the PKGBUILD.bak file not being in the BuildDir. There is an empty patch file in the PatchDir afterwards and I have a [p]atch option at the prompt. I'm using vim as the editor.

#578 2010-03-21 18:00:11

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Try perl-xyne-arch>=2010.03.21.1 and let me know if it works. I've set STDIN to UTF-8 mode but I don't know if that will work for backticks. All bauerbill-specific output will be in English too, so it might make more sense to for me to add "LC_ALL=C" to those sections of the code which mix the output.

What do I need to do to get German output from pacman so that I can test this here? Do I just need to set the locale with "LANG=x pacman..."?

You need to back up the file at the prompt with before you edit it, otherwise there is nothing to diff against. It does not automatically create the backup when you edit the file because it would create clutter in most cases and it would also prevent users from re-editing the file without losing the original.

#579 2010-03-21 19:20:43

pogeymanz

This is probably a feature that you wont even want to include, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

With yaourt, if I install something from the AUR, it has the option to also display the last five comments on the AUR package which is really useful if there is something wrong with the package or PKGBUILD file. Would you consider include this option in bauerbill?

#580 2010-03-21 23:00:46

Kazuki

Xyne wrote:

You need to back up the file at the prompt with before you edit it, otherwise there is nothing to diff against. It does not automatically create the backup when you edit the file because it would create clutter in most cases and it would also prevent users from re-editing the file without losing the original.

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Xyne wrote:

Try perl-xyne-arch>=2010.03.21.1 and let me know if it works.

It doesn't work. I get the same output.

Xyne wrote:

What do I need to do to get German output from pacman so that I can test this here? Do I just need to set the locale with "LANG=x pacman..."?

Seems to be. "LANG=en_US.UTF-8 pacman ..." gives me the English output. Therefore "LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 pacman ..." should give you the German one.

#581 2010-03-22 00:05:41

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Thanks, Kazuki.

Try perl-xyne-arch>=2010.03.21.2. Jetzt kann man die schöne Umlaute sehen. wink

*edit*
@pogeymanz

That has been suggested/requested before, but I'm still reluctant to implement it. If I did then I should logically include a news reader for the main site too, and track any info for CPAN and Hackage packages as well. It would end up being more effort than it's worth.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-03-22 00:09:31)

#582 2010-03-22 00:57:28

Kazuki

Xyne wrote:

Try perl-xyne-arch>=2010.03.21.2. Jetzt kann man die schöne Umlaute sehen. wink

Wunderschön. big_smile

#583 2010-03-22 23:23:32

korpenkraxar

I have a CPAN problem again. It looks like bauerbill tries to cd into the file Makefile.PL:

--> Building perl-ppix-regexp...
==> Making package: perl-ppix-regexp 0.6.0-1 x86_64 (Tue Mar 23 00:19:52 CET 2010)
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...
==> Checking Buildtime Dependencies...
==> Retrieving Sources...
  -> Found PPIx-Regexp-0.006.tar.gz in build dir
==> Validating source files with md5sums...
    PPIx-Regexp-0.006.tar.gz ... Passed
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
    PPIx-Regexp-0.006.tar.gz ... Passed
==> Extracting Sources...
  -> Extracting PPIx-Regexp-0.006.tar.gz with bsdtar
==> Removing existing pkg/ directory...
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting build()...
/home/adde/devel/arch/bauerbill/tmp/build/cpan/perl-ppix-regexp/PKGBUILD: line 21: cd: /home/adde/devel/arch/bauerbill/tmp/build/cpan/perl-ppix-regexp/src/PPIx-Regexp-0.005/Makefile.PL: Not a directory
Can't open perl script "Makefile.PL": No such file or directory
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...
ERROR: makepkg exited with an error (512)
ERROR: no package found: /home/adde/devel/arch/bauerbill/tmp/build/cpan/perl-ppix-regexp/perl-ppix-regexp-0.6.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
:: Abort? [Y/n]

#584 2010-03-23 00:22:19

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@korpenkraxer
It works as expected here. Did you edit the PKGBUILD? The following line is strange:

/home/adde/devel/arch/bauerbill/tmp/build/cpan/perl-ppix-regexp/PKGBUILD: line 21: cd: /home/adde/devel/arch/bauerbill/tmp/build/cpan/perl-ppix-regexp/src/PPIx-Regexp-0.005/Makefile.PL: Not a directory

The relevant code in the PKGBUILD is

_dir=$(find $srcdir -maxdepth 2 -type f -name 'Makefile.PL')
  if [ ! -z "$_dir" ]; then
    cd $(dirname "$_dir")

That should never try to cd into ".../makefile.PL" so I suspect that you've changed something.

Remove <BuildDir>/cpan/perl-ppix-regexp and try again. All I did here was

bauerbill --cpan -S perl-ppix-regexp --trust-cpan

and it installed without any intervention.

#585 2010-03-23 02:50:06

Vrekk

Love the app. Loving the fast aur downloads big_smile

But one thing I noticed is that Bauerbill won't update my chromium-browser-bin package automatically. Yaourt says there is an update but I can only get Bauerbill to update if I run

bauerbill -Su --aur chromium-browser-bin

Any ideas?

#586 2010-03-23 04:49:47

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

What if you run bauerbill -Su --aur?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#587 2010-03-23 15:46:55

Vrekk

it just tells me that my system is up to date

#588 2010-03-23 19:46:13

Wesman26

So for a few weeks now I've been having this problem with bauerbill, whenever I try to download something:

Exception caught
Exception: [XML2SAXMetalinkProcessor.cc:141] Cannot parse metalink XML file. XML may be malformed.

:: 2 unsuccessful download(s). Would you like to retry? [Y/n]

I looked back about a month or so and didn't see any one else with this problem on here, although I may have missed it, any suggestions?

#589 2010-03-24 01:02:59

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

bauerbill -S winetricks --aur inside a 32-bit chroot passes the wrong $CARCH to makepkg, making it look for bin32-wine dependency instead of wine.

makepkg works fine with the same PKGBUILD inside the same chroot.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#590 2010-03-24 01:55:01

milomouse
Website

milomouse wrote:

Again, I know you have a lot on your plate, but I noticed that when "BuildAll" (also/or ABS) is set in conf that if Bauerbill detects a new version it will present the PKGBUILD like usual but sometimes the PKGBUILD prompted for edit will be for the previous version, not the new one. I'm guessing it looks for a pkgbuild for that program (in that repo?) and succeeds but doesn't check to see if it's the same version as what it's supposed to be updating to.  Therefore, I would humbly like to request that Bauerbill (at one point in time) check to make sure that the PKGBUILD being used is the version it needs to update to.

An example is (right now, anyway) is when I try updating to testing/mesa it keeps presenting me with version 7.7-2 when the testing version is 7.7-3. There's a few other packages doing that right now, too. Like I said, I guess it's an ABS thing not being up-to-date or something and Bauerbill is fetching the build and not checking if the version of the PKGBUILD matches what version of the newest is supposed to be. You may be working on this already, who knows. I'm just letting you know because I always BuildAll and notice it kept asking me to update the same 4 programs over and over and I didn't notice until afterwards it was the wrong version numbers in the PKGBUILDs. Thanks for reading and all your hard work

One week bump. An example for this right now is python, it keeps prompting me 2.6.5-1 and the new version is 2.6.5-2 (again, this is with abs/buildall) detail in above quote. Whiiiich brings me to my next [more pesky?] request:

I was wondering if it would be able to have it backup an existing directory before copying files into it. Like make a directory called "$fpath/previous-build" and move files from $fpath into it, and THEN copy new files into $fpath. I already know about the [b] backup for the PKGBUILD but that only backs up the new one? The only reason I'm requesting this is because I keep losing the configuration options I defined in my old PKGBUILD/install/conf/rc files before even knowing it's going to be prompted to update. Like I'll do a "Syu" and wait to see what's going to be updated and next thing I know it shows the first program prompted for editing, etc, but by then my old files are already overwritten by the copy, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for reading !

#591 2010-03-24 07:28:09

Xavion

My ISP is an Arch Linux mirror site and I only want one download thread.  In my rare case, 'libfetch' is much faster than 'aria2'.  Its progress indicator is also more visually appealing.

I really like 'bauerbill', particularly for its attractiveness and AUR support.  Please tell me how I can force it to download packages from only my ISP and via 'libfetch' instead of 'aria2'.

#592 2010-03-24 09:22:59

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@Vrekk
I think the chromium-browser-bin package uses a non-standard pkgver. I think someone else reported a problem with "LATEST" in this thread. If pacman wouldn't recognize it as a new version, neither will bauerbill. Talk to the packager or show me pacman documentation that deals with it.

@Wesman26
Save the output when that happens by appending "--save-metalink test.metalink" to your command, then try running "aria2c -M test.metalink". Post the metalink and the output of aria2c.

@milomouse
I'll look into sanity-checking the version right now.

I won't back up everything in the build directory because it's easy enough to do with a script. There's no reason to add more complexity to the code. Just use a new BuildDir when you run an update, then copy it into the old one when you're done.

If you use the PatchDir option, you can save patches and re-apply them later. It only works with the PKGBUILD and install file right now, but I will extend it to work with other files. I need to determine the best way to create and apply the patches.

*edit*
After looking at it, I just realized a problem. The user is inspected to review the PKGBUILD before it's parsed and the only way to get the pkgver from the PKGBUILD it obviously to parse it. This leaves me with two options. Either I parse all PKGBUILDs twice, which seems wasteful, or I leave it up to the user to either update the PKGBUILD  (which usually just means changing the pkgver) or skip it at the prompt.

@Xavion
There is no way to use libfetch right now, but you can use the Aria2Args option to limit aria2c to single-connection, unsegmented downloads.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-03-24 11:50:00)

#593 2010-03-24 11:43:25

Kiwi

Xyne wrote:

@Vrekk ... Talk to the package or show me pacman documentation that deals with it....

Oh shi-, packages are sentient now!?

Does this mean all the package managers/wrappers have to start implementing AI? sad

#594 2010-03-24 11:50:45

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Kiwi wrote:
Xyne wrote:

@Vrekk ... Talk to the package or show me pacman documentation that deals with it....

Does this mean all the package managers/wrappers have to start implementing AI? sad

*slaps Kiwi*

Sssshhhhhh, don't give them ideas for more feature requests.

#595 2010-03-24 15:45:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Xyne wrote:
Kiwi wrote:
Xyne wrote:

*slaps Kiwi*

Sssshhhhhh, don't give them ideas for more feature requests.

Just make him implement it smile.

And Xyne, did you see my report on odd behaviour in 32-bit chroot? Somehow it's detecting that CARCH should be 64-bit, when uname -a in the chroot shows i686.

#596 2010-03-24 15:50:20

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

ngoonee wrote:

[
And Xyne, did you see my report on odd behaviour in 32-bit chroot? Somehow it's detecting that CARCH should be 64-bit, when uname -a in the chroot shows i686.

I saw it but I forgot to reply to it when replying to everything else. Use the "--arch" option to set the correct architecture (or try using 32-bit Perl in the chroot if you're not).

#597 2010-03-24 23:44:00

korpenkraxar

Xyne wrote:

@korpenkraxer
[...] and it installed without any intervention.

I was trying to install it as part of an "-Syu --cpan" and all packages reported this kind of error. I am not sure what was going on, I had not done anything manually in the build dir. Anyways, I just removed all perl package-directories from it and tried again. Now I get this for all packages instead, which seems to be a mismatch between the tweaked package version and the version number stored in the package filename:

--> Building perl-moosex-params-validate...
==> Making package: perl-moosex-params-validate 0.140.0-1 x86_64 (Thu Mar 25 00:37:42 CET 2010)
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...
==> Checking Buildtime Dependencies...
==> Retrieving Sources...
  -> Found MooseX-Params-Validate-0.14.tar.gz in build dir
==> ERROR: Integrity checks are missing.
ERROR: makepkg exited with an error (256)
ERROR: no package found: /home/adde/devel/arch/bauerbill/tmp/build/cpan/perl-moosex-params-validate/perl-moosex-params-validate-0.140.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz

#598 2010-03-25 04:12:26

Xavion

Xyne wrote:

There is no way to use libfetch right now, but you can use the Aria2Args option to limit aria2c to single-connection, unsegmented downloads.

Thanks for the response.  I also wanted to know how I can force 'bauerbill' to download packages from only my ISP, rather than using the mirrors that 'reflector' spits out.

#599 2010-03-25 10:56:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Xyne wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

[

I saw it but I forgot to reply to it when replying to everything else. Use the "--arch" option to set the correct architecture (or try using 32-bit Perl in the chroot if you're not).

My chroot would be using the perl installed there, would it not? In any case, bauerbill -S --aur --arch i686 winetricks doesn't work. For good measure...

pacman -Qi perl | grep Architecture
Architecture   : i686

#600 2010-03-25 12:45:51

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@korpenkraxar
As the man page says, the CPAN option is not fully automatic and some user intervention is required for some packages. Pay attention to the output and fix whatever needs fixing. In the output that you posted makepkg has reported an error due to missing integrity checks. Check the rest of the output for warnings about missing files (META.yaml, checksums, etc) and work from there.

@Xavion
Unset the Reflect option too if you wont' want to use it.

@ngoonee
This actually has nothing to do with the architecture or makepkg. Edit the PKGBUILD to remove whatever "if...then...else" logic it has, The PKGBUILD parser does not understand conditional statements in the PKGBUILD.

Board footer