You are not logged in.

#26 2010-01-30 08:50:16

wriggary

Re: [radeon] Falling back on software rendering after update

Well, I went for the late start option, seemed the safest.

I removed all mentioned packages in the wiki with pacman -Rd, installed libdrm-git from the AUR, fished the mesa PKGBUILD out of the abs tree, makepkg, installed mesa, libgl, and ati-dri with pacman -U, compiled xf86-video-ati-git from AUR, cleared the vga= append from grub, added radeon.modeset=1 to the append line, added intel_agp, radeon, and fbcon to the modules array in rc.conf, crossed my fingers, prayed, and rebooted.

Everything appeared normal until the ::Loading Modules ... line in rc.sysinit, and then my monitor gave me the good old "Out of sync"  error.

I managed to log in on one of the VTs blindly and sudo reboot.  I then changed the kernel append to radeon.modeset=0.  Although it seems like a failure, I did notice one thing when the system came back up after rebooting again:  it didn't fall back to the software rasterizer with KMS disabled.  So a little progress.

One thing I did notice after looking at my logs from both boots.  Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old had differently detected modelines in them. (after the EDID data.) With KMS enabled, the first (best guess) modeline was at 65hz refresh.  My monitor doesn't do 65hz. It only does 60, 70, and 75. (at full-res anyway)  Without KMS, it properly detects the base refresh rate at 60hz.

So, in the morning, I'll try making a barebones xorg.conf with the properly detected modeline from a non-KMS boot.   And if that doesn't work, I'll try early start.

#27 2010-01-30 15:42:07

Labello
Website

wriggary wrote:

So, in the morning, I'll try making a barebones xorg.conf with the properly detected modeline from a non-KMS boot.   And if that doesn't work, I'll try early start.

What do you want to achieve? installing libdrm-git and xf86-video-ati-git should do the trick.

Last edited by Labello (2010-01-30 15:43:16)

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#28 2010-01-30 21:26:05

wriggary

Well, yes, it does feel good to have the latest and greatest of something, but there are a few quirks that I'm hoping will be ironed out when I do get KMS enabled.

1.  Ever since I upgraded to xorg-server-1.7, flash videos, whether they be youtube, vimeo, etc. have choppy playback, and uses 90-100% cpu time. The 1.6 series xorg-server did not exhibit this behavior.  I haven't read anything that would make me think this would fix it, but its worth a shot.

2. Some directly rendered programs (anything ioQuake) brightness adjustment fails, and the framerate drops in wierd places and during some effects.  (local games, not internet)

#29 2010-01-31 08:39:08

Labello
Website

and you are absolutely shure that these issues will get fixed with KMS enabled? i am just asking out of pure curiosity.

btw: flash-videos can be played with vlc out of the /tmp directory!

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#30 2010-01-31 21:10:53

wriggary

1. No, but its something to try.
2. I know.  I installed Debian Lenny on an Imac DV 450 a few weeks ago.  Learned the hard way that there is nothing Flash 10.x compatable (gnash and swfdec in the lenny repos will only do flash 9.x stuff) for PowerPC.

I just don't want to do something out of the /tmp directory that my computer should be able to do in-browser. (Athlon64 2GHz, OC'd to 2.4, 1G of fast ram, and accelerated video)  If it all fails though, I can still roll back to xorg-server-1.6.3.901, and everything smooth as silk again.  I just want to see if forward is the way to go for now.

#31 2010-01-31 22:45:21

surfed

wriggary wrote:

mesa-git is having problems building, does anyone know if this is a makepkg issue or is the problem upstream?

try editing the pkgbuild and disable gallium-intel support

Board footer