You are not logged in.

#26 2010-04-03 11:11:53

tvale

Re: Xyne's Arch Linux Stuff - update

yc6qp6r
Firefox 3.6.2 from repo.
Screen resolution is 1366x768, if it helps in any way.

#27 2010-04-03 14:39:13

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Windows 7! Heresy!

Weird that even though its firefox it doesn't render properly though.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#28 2010-04-03 14:42:50

lswest
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Windows 7! Heresy!

Weird that even though its firefox it doesn't render properly though.

Haha, yeah, well, better than running 95 tongue  Besides, all my computers (besides my netbook) dual-boot win7 and Arch.  And yeah, I found it strange that it didn't render properly either, thus I pointed it out.  Maybe the font he uses is substituted for something else in windows.

Last edited by lswest (2010-04-03 14:43:28)

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#29 2010-04-03 15:36:37

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I'm surprised that it doesn't render correctly with Firefox in Windows. It might just be a font issue, but even that would be a bug because all fonts should line up the box-drawing characters.

Does the following line up?

#!/bin/bash

cat <<TEST
        /home/ ●─┐
┌────────────────┘
├─▶ arch
├─▶ img
├─▶ manpages
├─▶ miscellaneous
├─▶ notes
├─▶ pkgbuilds
├─▶ projects
├─▶ repos
├─▶ sandbox
├─▶ scripts
├─▶ src
└─▶ taurballs

┌─┬┐
│ ││
├─┼┤
└─┴┘

TEST

It's a bash script so you can run it in a terminal to see how it should look.

Thanks for sharing your workaround, lswest, but I prefer to avoid user-agent detection. Getting css layouts to work the way you want is already a black art and I don't really care if non-compliant browsers show something a little different as long as people realize that its their browser's or system's fault.  If I find a way to force most browsers to render it correctly in a user-agent-agnostic way then I will implement it. If the code above doesn't render properly (line up & connect) then it seems to be out of my hands unless I find a graphical alternative to the special characters that I'm using.

*edit*
I didn't notice that the thread had already moved onto the second page, whence my lack of response to the posts above.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-04-03 15:40:37)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#30 2010-04-03 15:43:31

lswest
Website

Indeed it probably is some sort of Font issue.  What font is the webpage supposed to be using (sure, I could check the css, but asking is easier big_smile)? I can run a test on my machine to see if it really does lie with the font.

And as for the workaround...it is a pain, but I've gotten the best results with it before, so I figured I'd mention it!

Also, I'm assuming the bash-script solution was intended for the post after mine?  Seeing as I have yet to find a way to easily run bash scripts in windows tongue  Let me know if you'd like any help testing website stuff out!

*edit* Ah, you were referring to my comment with the bash script?  If so, I have a good idea of how you intended the menu to render.  If you want me to run the script anyways, I'll be happy to run it through cygwin.

*edit#2*  I've just checked your website in Opera, Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer on Windows.  Each one has the misalignment for the very top of the directory menu, but only opera and firefox have the gaps between each sub-level of the menu.  The top mis-alignment may be caused by your "margin: auto;" setting for the directory?

Last edited by lswest (2010-04-03 15:53:56)

"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#31 2010-04-03 15:55:40

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I had originally included 2 code blocks in my post but the first one was just the bash script minus the bash, so I combined them. I wanted to know if the characters inside the code block line up and connect in your browser (e.g. Firefox on Windows 7) as intended or if they rendered the same way that they do on the site. The idea was to determine if it truly is a font issue or it it's due to something in my style sheet (margins, padding, borders, etc).

I've updated the page to use " " instead of " " for the padding. Let me know if that changes anything.

I've also just looked at this page's source and all of the special characters have been replaced with their html entities. That shouldn't make any difference (the page on my site is explicitly utf-8 encoded), but it might. I might try using those just in case.

The monospace font-family specification on my site is "font-family: 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono','Lucida Console',monospace;" Even if the font isn't present, the text should align vertically. I really don't understand why the top line (.cwd) is sometimes shifted to the left. It seems that some browsers don't respect monospace, but maybe they simply fail to render the box-drawing characters as monospace.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-04-03 15:58:09)

#32 2010-04-03 15:58:47

lswest
Website

The html-entities render properly for me on this site without issue.  If you were willing to swap the characters out, or send me the code you use for the directory creation, I can test it out using the html entities and let you know if that fixes it?

The monospace font works fine, I've used it on a few of my website as well, so I'm more inclined to think it has to do with the UTF-8 encoding.

Swapping out the whitespace hasn't helped.  Are you creating the directory tree using an html unsorted list?  If so, I believe there was something I needed to add to make it avoid the useless gaps between items, I'll post the code I used to solve it if you would like.

*edit* It might help if you swapped out "border: none" with "border: 0px;" in your css file here:

.navigation_tree .cwd {
[...]
border: none !important;
}

I remember reading something about IE not respecting "none" as a valid setting for borders, might apply to windows in general.

Last edited by lswest (2010-04-03 16:14:29)

#33 2010-04-03 16:12:05

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I've replaced the characters with corresponding html entities. Does that work?

#34 2010-04-03 16:13:02

lswest
Website

Xyne wrote:

I've replaced the characters with corresponding html entities. Does that work?

Sorry to say but...it doesn't seem to change anything at all hmm

*edit* Not to try to get you to re-write your whole site or anything, but is there any specific reason why you decided to do it in a pre/div mix, instead of an unsorted list? <ul>?

Last edited by lswest (2010-04-03 16:31:11)

#35 2010-04-03 16:46:31

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

lswest wrote:

*edit* Not to try to get you to re-write your whole site or anything, but is there any specific reason why you decided to do it in a pre/div mix, instead of an unsorted list? <ul>?

That's partly because I'm a web-design noob and partly because I thought having the whole thing in a pre block would guarantee the layout. The nav bar was originally just links in a div too, but I've moved them to a list. I'll probably do the same for the nav tree (I considered it yesterday, actually), but I wasn't sure that the arrows etc belonged inside the li tags. They're not really content after all.

It's obvious that you have more experience with web design than I do so if you want give me suggestions then I would appreciate it.

I've updated the style sheet to include the font-family specifications from this site. If it displays properly here then it should display properly there. The only other thing it could be is the font-weight of the links in the "cwd" class at the top.

#36 2010-04-03 16:54:04

lswest
Website

Whatever you changed fixed it for me.  Works in all browsers on Windows 7 now!

As for the ul and symbols.  You could actually specify the arrows as the bulletpoint I believe (they may need to be images, but I'm not certain of that off the top of my head).  Otherwise, I'd stick the entire line in the list tag, and get rid of any bulletpoints for the list.  As for the top two lines, they could stay outside the list, unless it presents issues with spacing again, since they deviate from the pre-defined format of the other list items.

I wouldn't really say I have much web design experience hmm  I just spent hours on one site for my dad's company and half of that stuff stuck with me since.  However, I'd be happy to help in any way possible!  If you want a more concrete, or less public, way to bounce ideas around, feel free to email me (the email I use on the forums links to my main one).

Definitely seems to have fixed it though!

Last edited by lswest (2010-04-03 16:55:14)

#37 2010-04-03 18:48:24

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I played around with using an unordered list. I managed to get a really nice result using the ":before" and ":after" pseudo-elements, but they required custom attributes for the dynamic content and that opened a whole new door of complications that just weren't worth it.

Thanks for the help with debugging the site. smile

#38 2010-04-04 18:49:32

lswest
Website

That always seems to be the case...change one thing and it just keeps getting more complicated smile

Glad to hear that it's working now, and you're very welcome for the help.  Give me a shout if you want me to test anything else out for you.

#39 2010-05-27 19:46:30

skualito

The link on the homepage to xac seems broken, I get a 404 not found when clicking on it. It's not working either from the miscellaneous section.

#40 2010-05-27 20:25:03

lswest
Website

skualito wrote:

The link on the homepage to xac seems broken, I get a 404 not found when clicking on it. It's not working either from the miscellaneous section.

Works fine for me.  Maybe Xyne has quietly fixed it since you posted it?

#41 2010-05-28 06:01:51

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Nope, I just fixed it (I think).

Thanks for letting me know.

*edit*
I've added an RSS feed and a "customization" page a few days ago, btw.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-05-28 06:02:41)

#42 2010-05-28 08:50:47

lswest
Website

Xyne wrote:

*edit*
I've added an RSS feed and a "customization" page a few days ago, btw.

Maybe add a "updates" section on the main page? tongue  I didn't notice the RSS feed *signs up*

#43 2011-02-01 22:16:21

memeplex

It would be nice if obfilebrowser lauched apps having "Terminal=true" in a CLI-configurable terminal emulator.

#44 2011-02-02 04:33:48

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

memeplex wrote:

It would be nice if obfilebrowser lauched apps having "Terminal=true" in a CLI-configurable terminal emulator.

See my reply here in the ObFilebrowser thread.

#45 2012-04-02 16:13:46

skanky

Hi Xyne, I know you have had some gnupg issues, so I'm sure you're aware of this, but just in case, I'll report this here.

I'm getting signing errors on you databases when I try and do a pacman update:

error: xyne-any: missing required signature
error: xyne-i686: missing required signature
:: Synchronising package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 xyne-any is up to date
 xyne-i686 is up to date
 community is up to date
error: database 'xyne-any' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
error: database 'xyne-i686' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))

Here's the keys I have:

$pacman-key -l
pub   2048R/C2E5C0D2 2011-11-24
uid                  Xyne. <xyne@archlinux.ca>
sub   2048R/2E7C56EC 2011-11-24
$

Won't be online from soon, until tomorrow again, if you need any testing, but I'm sure there are others here who use the repos directly?

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#46 2012-04-03 16:16:44

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@skanky
The signatures are good. There's a bug in pacman that removes database signatures when running "pacman -Sc". Pacman does not redownload the signatures until it downloads a new database. This will be fixed in the next release: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28714

Until then, just run "pacman -Syy" to force it to download the signature files.

If that doesn't fix it, do this and post the output:

$ cd /var/lib/pacman/sync/
$ pacman-key --verify xyne-any.db.sig
$ pacman-key --verify xyne-i686.db.sig

#47 2012-04-03 16:34:45

skanky

@Xyne - that did it, thanks. Sorry I should have checked elsewhere as well, I had put two and two together and got 5.

"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#48 2012-04-03 16:44:21

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

There's no reason to be sorry. Pacman lied to you and there was no way to know about the bug. If anyone should be sorry, it's Allan. tongue

skanky wrote:

I had put two and two together and got 5.

Doubleplusgood, comrade! Your chocolate ration will be increased to 25 grammes this week, up from last week's 30 grammes.

#49 2012-04-03 17:21:24

skanky

Xyne wrote:

There's no reason to be sorry. Pacman lied to you and there was no way to know about the bug. If anyone should be sorry, it's Allan. tongue

skanky wrote:

I had put two and two together and got 5.

Doubleplusgood, comrade! Your chocolate ration will be increased to 25 grammes this week, up from last week's 30 grammes.

I normally check the pacman bug list if there's an error reported by it, but didn't this time so now, despite knowing full well where the blame lies (Goldstein, naturally), I still feel like I messed up. neutral

#50 2012-11-18 18:02:35

pouar
Website

mind porting arch32-light to systemd?

Last edited by pouar (2012-11-18 18:02:45)

Yep, I'm a diaperfur now, I guess

while :;do if windows sucks;then mv windows /dev/null;pacman -Sy linux;fi;done
for i in {\ metal,core,grind};do echo death$i rules\!;done

Board footer