You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-28 15:23:39

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

README: Asking smart questions!

Before posting on these boards please read the following article, it could save you a lot of trouble!

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

#2 2005-10-28 15:59:37

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: README: Asking smart questions!

could save the rest of us a lot of trouble too! smile

#3 2007-11-13 09:00:22

somairotevoli

Perhaps "New to Arch? There are no stupid questions here!" needs to be updated

#4 2007-11-13 09:48:37

iphitus
Forum Fellow

somairotevoli wrote:

Perhaps "New to Arch? There are no stupid questions here!" needs to be updated

Hrm, not really. We won't suddenly flame or go elitist on people who ask stupid questions, and this thread is certainly no excuse to. Consider it "advice" to be more "productive". I think telling them to read ESR's doc is a bit overkill though.

To those who do flame/get elitist - and unfortunately there's one or two - bad people, be tolerant!

dtw: Maybe we could add a "short" version... linkin to the ESR doc isn't much fun, and few will read it in entirity. Additionally, I don't want to see "why didn't you read <asking smart questions>" replies on posts that... havn't.

Last edited by iphitus (2007-11-13 09:55:10)

#5 2007-11-13 14:52:23

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

iphitus wrote:

To those who do flame/get elitist - and unfortunately there's one or two - bad people, be tolerant!

Quoted for emphasis!

dtw: Maybe we could add a "short" version

Ironically, I drafted/improved this section of the guidelines about a week ago. It might be a bit "too short" for this purpose, but I'm open to suggestion for improvement.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … OW_TO_POST

Finally, this orignal post is over two years old, bear this in mind.

Dusty

#6 2007-11-13 14:55:11

Allan
Pacman
Website

Dusty wrote:

Whats with that... Next thing you know, there will be an old post revived about someones box being hacked!

#7 2007-11-13 15:25:19

PJ

Dusty wrote:

Ironically, I drafted/improved this section of the guidelines about a week ago. It might be a bit "too short" for this purpose, but I'm open to suggestion for improvement.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … OW_TO_POST

Might be a bit common sense but should it contain something about cross-posting?

Last edited by PJ (2007-11-13 15:25:49)

#8 2007-11-13 15:35:44

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

PJ wrote:

Might be a bit common sense but should it contain something about cross-posting?

Excellent suggestion, thanks!

Dusty

#9 2007-11-13 15:40:09

mucknert

Dusty wrote:
iphitus wrote:

Quoted for emphasis!

Hey, I try to improve myself! tongue

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#10 2007-11-13 19:22:50

somairotevoli

Dusty wrote:

Dusty

Wow I missed that...hahaha....I only stubled apon it from a link from another thread...
I browsed through it and was like woah...I thought it was some new guidelines and found it a bit harsh in it's wording of things.. I need to stop reading the forums so late.

#11 2008-08-20 07:21:18

Mazon

About the link howto ask questions: I think the whole self image of alot of hackers and acctually alot of these are wannabe hackers are wrong and elitistic. Thinking the world spins only around them because they know and have information about things in the small universe of computer sience. This is ofcourse not only a problem in computer sience but generelly a problem for mankind in all areas of life. Not to say stupid questions feel hard to answer, but i dont  think they deserve a harsh answer in any way if they are just stupid and not ignorant. There is a dark side and dark culture in this,  it has alot of explantions ofc. Some come from Computer sience in late 70 and begining of 80 being togheter with video games etc as culture revolution from young people without alot of life experience, anyways i was one of them. Thinking i knew everything because i could c. Unfortunaly this selfimage lives on in generations and in computer culture on irc, the web etc. Well i suppose better then these people go out and drink and drive or something. (and ofc its not allways young people. just an ex of where  a subculture came from)  ....ramblings...ramblings..

On a  sidenote, there are ofc ways you should ask questions and th elink gives alot of valid pointers. I only disagree on the whole "all that matters are the (wannabe)hackers point of view". Most cases there is no reason to be harsh. sorry for offtopic.

Last edited by Mazon (2008-08-20 07:27:14)

#12 2008-08-20 08:41:21

tomk
Forum Fellow

As pointed out earlier - this thread is old. Nearly three years old now, and the most recent post before yours, Mazon, is nine months ago.

If you want to have a discussion about elitism, I'd recommend you start a new thread in the Off-topic forum.

Board footer