You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-02 15:20:10

paulicat

pmount-hal error

HI all,
My usb keydrive is not automounting with gnome-volume-manager, Im getting the following error when running gnome-volume-manager from a shell:
lock_dir(): creat: No such file or directory
Error: could not lock the mount directory. Another pmount is probably running for this mount point.

I get this error running it as root or as user, so its not permissions...
There is definately no other pmount running (killall pmount?)
The /media/usbdisk directory exists (gnome-volume-manager/pmount-hal actually created the dir).
I can manually mount it from the shell as root (since no fstab entry is created now).
This is on a fresh install with gnome 2.12.2.
Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, I redid the installation from scratch again and its working fine now...strange...

Edit: If I add it to fstab, i works fine as user. So there is clearly a pmount-hal issue going on here...can anyone confirm this behaviour??

#2 2006-01-12 15:02:53

lunke

Re: pmount-hal error

I've just noticed I have the same problem. sad

EDIT: I've just found it's because pmount is trying to create the lock file in /var/lock. Just create the /var/lock dir and make it writeable for users. smile

mkdir /var/lock && chown root.users /var/lock && chmod g+w /var/lock

Someone file a bug report, I'm to lazy tongue
This dir should come with the pmount pkg.

#3 2006-01-12 15:07:29

paulicat

Sorry to hear that...I've left arch linux for ubuntu, I just ran into too many bugs with hal/dbus/gnome-volume-manager.

But, I never fixed this problem, I had to reinstall, and on the second try, it worked ok...no clue what the problem was.
Hate to say it but, there are many other problems with hal/dbus/gnome-volume-manager in arch...specifically when you want to start using cdrw's.

#4 2006-02-17 21:36:48

Moo-Crumpus

Ja, gnome seems to be out of focus...

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#5 2006-07-02 02:05:56

otake-tux

lunke wrote:

I've just noticed I have the same problem. sad

EDIT: I've just found it's because pmount is trying to create the lock file in /var/lock. Just create the /var/lock dir and make it writeable for users. smile

mkdir /var/lock && chown root.users /var/lock && chmod g+w /var/lock

Someone file a bug report, I'm to lazy tongue
This dir should come with the pmount pkg.

I had the same pmount problem and this advice saved me! I wonder how you figured it out.  thanks!

#6 2007-12-17 04:39:27

MartinZ

I just had this exactly problem, i can't believe that a two-years-old thread saved me! I think same as lunke, pmount pkg should create the goddamned dir to avoid this.

All your base are belong to us

#7 2009-06-28 09:22:02

splondike

Saved me too, 4 years after the OP :S. I've reported it as a bug here: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15292 .

Board footer