You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-12 02:39:11

user

Embedded arch

Hi, i would have it,
I knew the ale, but it is for USB, NOT for arm or ppc.

Just like embedded debian or openembedded or scratchbox.

That's all.

I removed my sig, cause i select the flag, the flag often the target of enemy.

SAR brain-tumor
[img]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/460/cellphonethumb0ff.jpg[/img]

#2 2006-07-12 05:48:09

tor

Re: Embedded arch

I for one would support an embedded repository of Arch. As it is today i use Debian Arm for my bigger embedded projects and uClibc/Busybox for the smaller ones. But it would be ultracool to be able to use Arch.

I have thought on starting something like this for some time but doing it alone takes quite some time. So anyone interrested?

#3 2006-07-12 07:26:34

user

tor wrote:

I have thought on starting something like this for some time but doing it alone takes quite some time. So anyone interrested?

me/ hands up ;-)

I removed my sig, cause i select the flag, the flag often the target of enemy.

SAR brain-tumor
[img]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/460/cellphonethumb0ff.jpg[/img]

#4 2006-07-12 14:41:04

soloport

user wrote:
tor wrote:

me/ hands up ;-)

Would gladly help.

#5 2006-07-18 15:24:16

soloport

First question: What platform, first?  ARM?  PPC?  x86?

Second question: What target, first? Mini-ATX? PC-104? PXI? Moto-eval?

Third question: What RT support?  RTAI/AEOS?  RTLinux?  Not needed?

Just thought the ball should start rolling...

:?

#6 2006-07-18 15:27:28

kth5
Website

not to dissapoint you guys, but embedded arch would not be much more than a pacman based repository of packages. since you would have to heaviliy modify most packages to strip down size and features. also using uclibc is a nice idea which required lots of attention while building packages. then you still need a proper cross building host...

that summed up is probably not maintainable, a proof of concept should be very well possible though.

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#7 2006-07-18 18:38:00

tor

kth5: At least my ambition isn't to do a scaled down version. I want a pure arm/ppc version of arch. If i want small i often only need uClibc, busybox and some custom compiled packages. My whole point is to reuse some of Arch mentality, sensible bleeding edge with a wast selection of packages. This to simply be able to build cool devices from these packages. As said earlier, today i use Debian for this and i think an Arch repository would be cooler.

I agree with you that a slimmed down version of these will be a lot of work. Probably to much. As a compromise maybe one could tweak package build to produce two versions of a package, one normal and one with headers, documentation and static libraries removed to save install space.

Regarding cross compilation, i actually think its feasible to builld on target. My primary target is Arm based with "plenty" of Ram and disk. I know that this takes a long time but on the other hand im not sure that Firefox and OpenOffice is the first packages im after.

A bigger nut to crack i think is most likely, how to install and in this scenario which kernels should be supported if any. Initially i say a debootstrap environment is enough, i think pacman is capable of this?

Im not sure what you other guys have in mind.  But im interrested in above, primarily for Arm and later most likely PPC.

#8 2006-07-18 18:57:47

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Well, there is already a ppc port. I don't think reinventing that wheel would be very useful.

Arm would be cool though.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer