You are not logged in.

#26 2006-10-11 08:21:13

onearm
Website

Re: What do you think about "TAB" support in Openbox?

I've been always against any kind of space-eaters (like big icons, panels too large, more than 1 bar in firefox and so on), so I'm against tabs too. Happy to see that OB isn't going in this direction anytime soon smile

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#27 2006-10-11 10:17:31

detto

I dont get what the problem is when there is going to be implemented a feature taht is maybe used by some and some not. I would use it roll
And to the space thing! :shock: You should know that tabs are (at least in flux) configurable so that they use just the titlebar. So your titlebar is splitted in the middle and you see which windows you have in this one (frame?).
http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=examplede9.png
Let's all breath in and out and be open for changes wink

#28 2006-10-11 13:39:28

iphitus
Forum Fellow

rezza wrote:

No. They are unnecessary and unintuitive. They won't be going in to openbox any time soon, believe me. As said above, if you need tabs use flux, the reason openbox feels "clean and efficient" is that it doesn't have these crappy features even as an option. No icons in the menu, no panel, no transparency, no pixmap theming, no rounded corners, and no tabs. Fluxbox has all that stuff optional - it doesn't feel as fast as openbox but that's the trade-off.

You choose your side, features or lean-ness, and you stick to it imho.

yay for a closed minded "arrogant elitist arsehole" (hey, im just quoting him)

Tabs wouldnt be the end of the world. The overhead of adding tab support is negligable, unlike pixmap theming rounded corners, transparency and all that other stuff. Tabs have a functional benefit, and are useful. They dont exist for eye candy like the other crap you list -- they have a functional gain, not aesthetic (and there's no loss there either). But I can understand if you're too closed minded to see any possible benefit to anyone but yourself, everyone does that sometimes.

onearm: tabs wouldnt be space eaters, and would only appear once used. If they're anything like flux's they'd be within the title bar and take no more space at all.

tabs would draw openbox closer to my perfect wm, because for me, all the wms out there are essentially crap for my use. Something like openbox, except tiled instead would be nice. Heh, it's only a matter of finding time before I write/fork my own...

James

#29 2006-10-11 14:43:21

xterminus

yankees26 wrote:
xterminus wrote:

tabs are a waste of space...

just like titlebars! (yes, i'm serious). smile

Your screenshots without toolbars actually look pretty nice, but I question many people's (especially mine) ability to handle that tongue

I just bind mouse button 6 to openbox's move action, mouse button 7 to  resize, and button 8 to close.  (6 & 7 are thumb-buttons on my mouse, and 8 is an extra button behind the scrollwheel).  It's WAY faster to move or resize something when you dont have to hunt your mouse all the way to the top of a window or position it exactly on a window grip.

I have keybindings to do the same thing, but that's besides the point. smile

#30 2006-10-11 19:14:18

allucid

This discussion is all nice and dandy, but none of the openbox devs are going to implement tabs so it's kind of moot.

#31 2006-10-11 19:36:36

fk

@ ipitus

No there are no patches in the wild.

I would implement this, but I have no knowleage C (openbox is written in C?) and absolutly no Time to learn

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

#32 2006-10-12 08:51:04

onearm
Website

iphitus wrote:

onearm: tabs wouldnt be space eaters, and would only appear once used. If they're anything like flux's they'd be within the title bar and take no more space at all.

James

Honestly (I tried flux many months ago so maybe it's improved since then), I remember that the tabs appeared not on the titlebar but along with it. Has it changed (seeing the screens on the official site seems it hasn't)? If so then would be ok, but the problem isn't here.
Openbox is geared toward key-binding, it's the only wm which I feel comfortable in using without a panel and a pager, so why adding tabs when there is Alt+Tab? Or any other key/mouse binding that one have configured?
I'm not so against tabs that if the developers would implement them I'd quit using OB, I'd simply not use them. As has been already said, if you want tabs or others graphical-aid then there is flux (or if you want even more there are xfce, kde or gnome, compiz or beryl for the eye-candy part). If you want something more keyboard-oriented then there are ob, ratpoison (which has tabs) or the terminal prompt without X smile

For me, it's best to keep openbox the simpliest and plain possible.

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#33 2006-10-12 08:56:56

iphitus
Forum Fellow

onearm wrote:

Honestly (I tried flux many months ago so maybe it's improved since then), I remember that the tabs appeared not on the titlebar but along with it. Has it changed (seeing the screens on the official site seems it hasn't)? If so then would be ok, but the problem isn't here.

must have used fluxbox 0.1.14, the whole 0.9x and 1.0rc series have had integrated tabs.

Openbox is geared toward key-binding, it's the only wm which I feel comfortable in using without a panel and a pager, so why adding tabs when there is Alt+Tab? Or any other key/mouse binding that one have configured?

alt tab becomes frustrating when you have more than four or five windows, grouping with tabs simplifies things.

I'm not so against tabs that if the developers would implement them I'd quit using OB, I'd simply not use them. As has been already said, if you want tabs or others graphical-aid then there is flux (or if you want even more there are xfce, kde or gnome, compiz or beryl for the eye-candy part).

tabs arent eye candy. they're functional.

If you want something more keyboard-oriented then there are ob, ratpoison (which has tabs) or the terminal prompt without X smile

For me, it's best to keep openbox the simpliest and plain possible.

I've used ratpoison, it's *nice* but doesnt suit me. Try using the gimp with it and you'll see what I mean.

I spose this thread is moot now that it's been said that the devs wont add it, but dont forget the title "What do you think about "TAB" support in Openbox?" It's asking what we think about it, not what the devs think, and tabs has always been one thing that I've thought that openbox needs.

James

#34 2006-11-02 22:34:41

lyrae

I used fluxbox a lot, but I never used tabs.  So no thanks.

#35 2006-11-02 22:55:18

fk

mikachu, the main dev of openbox, has sya NO to Tabs, I dont't know why, but he is the dev.

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

#36 2006-11-03 00:25:29

rab

I would love to see tabs in openbox only if they are in the titlebar like detto said.  I've practiced XLibs in C, but im not that good.  If anyone else is willing to devote time to create a patch, I can join in.

rawr

Board footer