You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-20 20:29:05

rztka

wpa_supplicant.conf for wired connection [SOLVED]

hi
i'm trying to connect to internet (eduroam) in my university in utrecht but i'm stuck completely.. i have no idea how my wpa_supplicant.conf file should look like.... they have no support for linux users, only some pdf manul for windows but i guess there is not all the info i need...
http://www.uu.nl/content/Handleiding_la … 06_eng.pdf

is there someone from utrecht by any chance? sad

i'm completely new to this wpa stuff... i searched internet, there is lot of examples of configurations for wireless but not much for cable... someone have some simple example which you think i could use?

thank you very much in advance for pointing me in some useful direction wink

tereza

#2 2006-10-21 02:25:19

pauldonnelly

Re: wpa_supplicant.conf for wired connection [SOLVED]

You mean for a wireless connection, right? A wired network would not use WPA.

#3 2006-10-21 13:28:40

rztka

well they require everyone to identify (with our username and password) even if we use cable..

i want to use cable since i'm installing arch again from scratch on my laptop, and i know the wireless is more tricky so i thought it would be easier to start with cable to get all the packages i need..

the university recommends to use some "secure W2" software (both for wireless and wired connection).. and i found on internet that wpa_supplicant package is able to replace this for linux (also for wired connection).

problem is that i have to write my own configuration file for something i have no idea about.. but i already know that arch is like this and i like it wink if i make some progress i will post it here..

#4 2006-10-21 16:47:13

skr

rztka wrote:

the university recommends to use some "secure W2" software (both for wireless and wired connection).. and i found on internet that wpa_supplicant package is able to replace this for linux (also for wired connection).

problem is that i have to write my own configuration file for something i have no idea about.. but i already know that arch is like this and i like it wink if i make some progress i will post it here..

Hi,

I'm a student of "Hogeschool Utrecht" and I'm using the wireless eduroam with succes on arch.

Using the following network statement in my wpa_supplicant.conf.

network={
        ssid="hu-eduroam"
        scan_ssid=1
        key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
        eap=TTLS
        anonymous_identity="anonymous@student.hu.nl"
        identity="xxxxxxxx@student.hu.nl"
        password="xxxxxxxx"
        #ca_cert="/etc/802.1x/certs/SURFnet-PCA-Root-CA.crt"
        phase2="auth=PAP"
}

Ofcourse you'll have to change ssid, identity and password and the anonymous_identity domain. (prob. uu.nl or something)

Though I'm not sure wheter anonymous_identity is required.

This is how I start wpa_supplicant for my ipw3945. You could leave -dd away as its only for debugging.

# wpa_supplicant -dd -Dwext -w -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i wlan0

I'm also running the ifplugd so that whenever I connect or disconnect it automaticaly requests (dhcp) or drops an ip-address. It also works great for wired lan. Let me know if you need those configs too.

#5 2006-10-22 12:54:23

rztka

thanks! i didn't expect anyone from utrecht would reply so fast!!

your config works for me, i just ommited those ssid rows and added ap_scan=0 before the network section for now..

i'm glad the cable is working now, as soon as i have some time to kill  (after exams  wink ) i'll try the wireless.. it would be great if you could send me these configs for ifplugd too..

greetz,

t.

Board footer