You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-26 15:53:36

CavalierBob

New iPod nano - do I have the steps correct to step up?

Checked our Wiki and did not find anything specific to connecting a brand new iPod (never been set up on any computer) to an Arch system. I cobbled together the steps below from some of our forum posts and a HOWTO on the Gentoo Wiki.

Let's see if I have the steps correct to connect in Arch (using Gnome, HAL, dbus, gnome-volume-manager...my iPod is automounted when connected):

1 ) Create a mount point

# mkdir /mnt/ipod

2 ) Create a ipod group

# groupadd ipod

3 ) Add your user ID to group (bob in my case)

# gpasswd -a bob ipod

4 ) Create a udev rule (/etc/udev/rules.d/60-ipod.rules):

BUS=="usb", ATTRS{manufacturer}=="Apple*", ATTRS{model}=="iPod*", KERNEL=="sd?2", SYMLINK+="ipod", NAME="%k", GROUP:="ipod"

5 ) Restart udev

# /etc/start_udev

6 ) Plug in iPod to USB port

7 ) Open gtkPod, click 'Load iPod' button and allow gtkPod to load the iPod. (need to add info on assigning the correct mount point in gtkPod)

8 )  Load music and enjoy iPod!

Any errors or improvements? I don't want to brick my new toy!  big_smile

Thanks!

Bob

EDIT: added step 4 to add user ID to group
EDIT #2: Corrected udev entry from SYSFS{manufacturer}=="Apple*" to ATTRS{manufacturer}=="Apple*"
EDIT #3: Removed step of creating an fstab entry of '/dev/ipod  /mnt/ipod  vfat  async,nodev,nosuid,user,rw,noauto 0 0'. Snarkout pointed out that by my use of HAL & dbus I could just have them recognize the device.
EDIT #4: Added info at top that my steps apply to user using Gnome, HAL, dbus, gnome-volume-manager. Also corrected command to restart udev in Step 5 as per Snarkout.

#2 2006-12-26 16:04:25

timtux
Website

Re: New iPod nano - do I have the steps correct to step up?

Think that will work, anyhow, remember to umount  and eject it before you unplug it smile By the way, its hard to break a ipod as you easily can flash it.

http://timtux.net/ - my personal blog about almost everything

#3 2006-12-26 16:37:11

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{serial}=="000A27001591DB2F", KERNEL=="sd?2", NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="ipod", MODE="0660", GROUP="users"

I mount to /media/ipod

Would nice to able to get my photos on my ipod .....

Mr Green

#4 2006-12-26 17:04:55

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Great post and great question. i have been wondering about this myself.
Can you try and get it into the wiki?

#5 2006-12-26 17:43:26

CavalierBob

Thanks for the feedback all!

I made a couple of changes based on the feedback so far and a step I saw I missed.

@ timtux: Got it. I should be OK by just unmounting from the icon on the Gnome desktop, correct? That will cover both unmount & eject?

@ Mr. Green: I found some of this from posts from you and Snarkout. Some questions for you 1) any particular reasons to mount the ipod to /media/ipod over just /mnt/ipod?, 2) why use the serial number of you ipod in the udev rule vs. the one I posted (from Snarkout)?, and 3) is the MODE setting really needed? Reading the udev man page was not all that enlightening, looks like the MODE sets permissions....thought that was handled in fstab (rw notation in the stanza)

@ Misfit138: That is an excellent suggestion. Let me see if I get any more commenst here on improving the steps. Then I'll rewrite it a bit and see about getting it to the Wiki.

Bob

#6 2006-12-26 18:06:31

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

my rule is a mess lol ... as I said I use pmount quite a lot [rather than fstab] & it mounts to /media

No I guess I could clean my rule again ... been so many changes to udev

It works for me so... not a problem

Rule can from a mix of things wiki lanrat  wink

Will try out your rule see what happens

Mr Green

#7 2006-12-26 19:05:56

codemac
Website

You should put this in the wiki if that's where you initially looked to find a similar article smile

#8 2006-12-26 19:57:24

CavalierBob

Hmmm, problems.

Udev mounts the iPod fine, icon appears on the Gnome desktop, and a Nautilus window opens showing the directories of the iPod.

However, when I run gtkPod and try to load the iPod, I get the following error:

Could not find iPod directory structure at '/mnt/ipod'.
If you are sure that the iPod is properly mounted at '/mnt/ipod', gtkpod can create the directory structure for you.

Do you want to create the directory structure now?

If I click yes to create the directory structure (should not have too, it is already there), I get this error message:

Error initialising iPod: Problem creating iPod directory or file: '/mnt/ipod/iPod_Control'.

I would guess some permissions problem. When I check the permissions of the ipod icon on the Gnome desktop I see the following:

Owner = bob, Folder access = create and delete files, file access = blank
Group = root, Folder access = access files, file access = blank

The Group being root, is that correct? If not, how would I correct? I created the ipod as root with groupadd; I did not think you could add a group as user.

When I click on the 'Volume" tab in the Properties window, this shows the mount point as /media/ipod (?).

I tried adding Mr. Green's MODE setting of 0660 to the udev rule, but that did not seem to make any difference.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

Bob

#9 2006-12-26 20:28:57

Snarkout

ls /mnt/ipod after you've mounted it with the gnome volume manager - it sounds like it's being mounted at /media/ipod rather than /mnt/ipod.  I'm not familiar with GVM, but I thought it used pmount or similar to mount devices.

Another option is to remove the fstab entry and let hal and dbus handle things for you since it sounds like you're using them in any event.  Then point gtkpod to /media/ipod rather than /mnt/ipod.  This is what I do - I had problems trying to use fstab, but I don't recall exactly what they were.  I also use amarok, not gtkpod.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#10 2006-12-26 21:33:27

CavalierBob

Snarkout...rock!!! smiley-faces-84.gif

Getting rid of the fstab entry and mounting at /media/ipod in gtkPod did the trick. Talking Heads are 'Burning Down the House' on the nano as I type.

Sounds like, as with most things Linux, there is more than one correct way to do thiings. I will have to rewrite for the Wiki, specifing that the steps assume use of HAL, dbus, gtklPod, and Gnome (I guess).

I'll edit my OP to reflect removing the fstab entry and some steps around setting the mount point in gtkPod. Then I'll see about getting into the Wiki.

Thanks everyone!

Bob

p.s. does anyone know a way to safely restart udev? The 'udevstart' command did not work. Came back as a bad command. I've been forced to reboot to activate udev rules changes.

#11 2006-12-26 21:37:41

Snarkout

As root run /etc/start_udev

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#12 2006-12-27 08:36:59

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I do not use gnome so ... I use pmount to mount ipod to /media

gtkpod works for me ok

Banshee is a nightmare atm

Amarok is just too big lol

Mr Green

#13 2006-12-27 14:53:12

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

So, if I am to understand correctly, in order to use an iPod with KDE and amarok, I need to follow your directions except omit the fstab tweak.
(I already have hal and dbus daemons runing on boot)

So its:

create mount point
create ipod group
add your user to ipod group
create udev rule
restart udev

And that should do it?

Sounds almost too easy.

#14 2006-12-27 16:33:15

CavalierBob

Misfit138 wrote:

So, if I am to understand correctly, in order to use an iPod with KDE and amarok, I need to follow your directions except omit the fstab tweak.
(I already have hal and dbus daemons runing on boot)

So its:

create mount point
create ipod group
add your user to ipod group
create udev rule
restart udev

And that should do it?

Sounds almost too easy.

Yes, that's it. smile

And, as with so many things Linux, you could just use an existing group and not even create the ipod group. I did this following the udev rules idea laid out in a post Snarkout made. But setting up the udev rule with an ipod group make sense to me.

The key (for me) was learning that I needed to use /media/ipod as the mount point in gtkPod. This was selectable...I actaully have the choice between /mnt/ipod (the mount point created) and the mount point udev (apparently) assigns (/media/ipod). I suspect amarok is the same...you'll just need to pick the mount point for the device in the app.

I've updated the OP to reflect the removel of the fstab step.

Bob

#15 2006-12-28 02:21:31

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Well, I tried your method. (Copied and pasted udev rule) and my machine won't boot. It hangs at the kdm step. I also get an alsa error (no sound card found).
Only way to fix it is to remove the udev rule with a live cd. What am I doing wrong?

#16 2006-12-28 02:37:55

CavalierBob

Misfit138 wrote:

Well, I tried your method. (Copied and pasted udev rule) and my machine won't boot. It hangs at the kdm step. I also get an alsa error (no sound card found).
Only way to fix it is to remove the udev rule with a live cd. What am I doing wrong?

Where did you create the rule? Should be in its own text  file named 60-ipod.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d. The rule needs to be pasted in as one continuous line of text IIRC.

If you have all this correct, I am at a loss why this udev rule would conflict with kdm & alsa, which I would expect you have in the MODULES array in rc.conf.

Bob

#17 2006-12-28 13:01:33

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Me too sad I'm at a loss.
I used your rule at /etc/udev/rules.d and changed the group to 'users' rather than creating an 'ipod' group.
I created a mountpoint /mnt/ipod and restarted udev...amarok can't find my ipod, it was looking for libgpod, which I installed. Then I rebooted.
On shutdown, the system could not shut down dbus or fam IIRC, and then on reboot, KDM starts for maybe a split second, then I am dumped back to a frozen console. One of the messages scrolling up the screen was the alsa error.

#18 2006-12-28 22:41:35

RobbeR49

I ran through this on my parents computer, for whatever reason I could not get it to work unless I added the mount point to fstab. It gave me permission-related errors otherwise.

It did eventually work, though. Now I just have to teach them how to use the iPod.  :?

#19 2006-12-29 02:17:32

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

RobbeR49 wrote:

I ran through this on my parents computer, for whatever reason I could not get it to work unless I added the mount point to fstab. It gave me permission-related errors otherwise.

It did eventually work, though. Now I just have to teach them how to use the iPod.  :?

Well, I had to use this rule:

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{manufacturer}=="Apple*", SYSFS{product}=="iPod*", KERNEL=="sd?2", SYMLINK+="ipod"

(Your rule froze my machine on boot, Bob! The 2 are very similar, but this one works for some reason.)

I got it from the Gentoo wiki, oddly enough. Also, I have added this to my fstab:

/dev/ipod              /media/ipod  hfsplus async,nodev,nosuid,user,rw,auto 0      0

Strangely, though I have the "auto" function, I still must manually mount the ipod. gtkpod works quite well, but I can't seem to get Amarok to work as it complains that the fs is mounted as read only....?

#20 2006-12-29 06:01:32

CavalierBob

Misfit138 wrote:

Well, I had to use this rule:

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{manufacturer}=="Apple*", SYSFS{product}=="iPod*", KERNEL=="sd?2", SYMLINK+="ipod"

Do me a favor Misfit, run the following and post back the results:

# pacman -Qi udev
# pacman -Qi kernel26

My understanding was SYSFS was deprecated from udev >=098 in favor of ATTRS. I have udev 103-2 on my system. And udev >=098 recommends kernel26 >=2.6.18. I have kernel26 2.6.19.1-1

And the use of hfsplus in the fstab stanza leads me to think that your iPod had been formatted in the past with the Apple file system, not vfat like mine (?).

Thanks!

Bob

#21 2006-12-29 22:14:03

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

You got it. I will post back when I get home. (Late night working tonight.)

#22 2006-12-30 11:37:54

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Name           : udev
Version        : 103-2
Groups         : None
Packager       : Arch Linux (http://www.archlinux.org)
URL            : http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/k … /udev.html
License        : None
Architecture   : i686
Size           : 498451
Build Date     : Mon Dec  4 22:37:20 2006 UTC
Install Date   : Sun Dec 10 03:45:15 2006 UTC
Install Script : Yes
Reason:        : explicitly installed
Provides       : None
Depends On     : coreutils mktemp util-linux
Required By    : hal initscripts
Conflicts With : hotplug pcmcia-cs
Description    : The userspace dev tools (udev)

AND

Name           : kernel26
Version        : 2.6.19.1-1
Groups         : None
Packager       : Thomas Baechler <thomas>
URL            : http://www.kernel.org
License        : None
Architecture   : i686
Size           : 58837034
Build Date     : Tue Dec 12 12:11:28 2006 UTC
Install Date   : Fri Dec 15 02:11:12 2006 UTC
Install Script : Yes
Reason:        : explicitly installed
Provides       : None
Depends On     : mkinitcpio>=0.5.11 module-init-tools
Required By    : lirc nvidia
Conflicts With : None
Description    : The Linux Kernel and modules

So I guess my rule is not doing very much of anything(?)
I know the symlink is working, because I mount by doing
mount -t hfsplus /dev/ipod /media/ipod
And you are right, my iPod was first used on a Mac, so I guess that explains the hfsplus fs.

#23 2006-12-30 11:47:36

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

what does ls -la /dev/ipod show?

Mr Green

#24 2006-12-30 18:02:49

CavalierBob

So I guess my rule is not doing very much of anything(?)

That would be my guess, but it is just a guess.

Glad it's working for you but I just cannot fathom why the udev rule I used would act up for you. Just reread the iPod entry on the Gentoo wiki. My guess would be that your fstab entry is allowing you to mount your iPod and (as                            you state) your udev rule is invalid (which makes sense to me since I still think the SYSFS call is wrong and should now be ATTRS).

Well, I'm going to keep digging on this before I try to post a item on the Arch Wiki.

Maybe I'll contact lanrat. Mr. Green mentioned him and I have seen his postings related to udev rules. Hopefully he can get me on the correct path.

Bob

#25 2006-12-30 18:09:37

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

if he has symlink ... then rule is working just maybe it needs a little tweaking [technical term!]

Mr Green

Board footer