You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-18 14:41:26

redge

Searching for network at boot [solved]

I have Arch and Gentoo running on a laptop that is used both connected and unconnected, via DHCP, to the internet. Connected, it takes each of these operating systems, from the Grub screen, about 30 seconds to boot. Unconnected, it takes Gentoo about 3 seconds longer and Arch about 25 seconds longer. The additional Arch time is attributable to Starting Network, which takes 4 or 5 seconds when connected and about 30 seconds when unconnected.

I would like to tell Arch to stop spending so much time trying to make a connection. I have been unable to pinpoint a configuration file that would let me do this. Is there one and, if so, which one?

I should add that I am running Arch .08 Alpha 3, partly because I'm curious about it and partly because it simply installs better than 7.2.2 on my computer. Although it might be an idea to address this before .08 is finalized, I am assuming that the rather long time looking for a non-existent connection is something that I can change myself in a configuration file.

This is not, of course, a major problem. Just a little irritating.

Thanks.

#2 2007-01-18 15:15:49

rayjgu3

Re: Searching for network at boot [solved]

edit
/etc/conf.d/dhcpcd

#
# Arguments to be passed to the DHCP client daemon
#

DHCPCD_ARGS="-t 5 -h $HOSTNAME"

it will drop it to 5 seconds

#3 2007-01-18 15:41:47

redge

Re: Searching for network at boot [solved]

Thanks very much. When I was looking for the right file, somehow I managed to miss that one. It was set to 30 seconds. Five works just fine. Interestingly, when I connected my computer and configured for four seconds, the connection failed. So five it is.

Board footer