You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-22 13:53:58

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Wireless topology: network bridge

I currently have a wireless router connected to my modem to share our internet connection at home.  Although the router has 4 ethernet ports they are almost never used.

If I buy a new printer, and purchase a simple usb/ethernet print server, I want to connect that to the wireless network too.  However, the printer will probably be in the office and the home network router will not.

I think I need a bridge to connect the printer to the wireless network OR connect the printer to a hub and connect a wireless bridge to the hub, is that doable?  Then I can also access the printer via the hub with wired devices, right?

I have attached a rough topo map...don't laugh.

#2 2007-01-23 02:36:18

karsten

Re: Wireless topology: network bridge

dtw wrote:

connect the printer to a hub and connect a wireless bridge to the hub

i think this is what you need yes.  maybe replace the hub with a switch

#3 2007-01-23 05:02:17

mint

I currently use a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT [dd-wrt.com] for that very purpose.  It gives you much more flexibility than you get from most wireless bridging hardware, and it has an integrated 4 port switch to boot.

#4 2007-01-23 06:33:20

iphitus
Forum Fellow

that looks fine. I'd take mint's suggestion though, and get a Linksys WRT54GL and put DD-WRT on it, that's what mine runs.

That'd eliminate the need for an extra hub, as the linksys has 4 ports already.

James

#5 2007-01-23 08:25:22

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

What benefits does DD-WRT provide?  Why not any old router?

#6 2007-01-23 11:43:16

iphitus
Forum Fellow

dtw wrote:

What benefits does DD-WRT provide?  Why not any old router?

because "not any old router" will work as well.

Take for example one brand, I know someone who went through 2 failed routers. My neighbours bought one and it was ridiculously unstable, requiring frequent reboots, the company offered no support. Another friend of mine had one that just died.

My old router, no name, wired router. It was slow, no features, and just crap in general.

Or another name brand. Mine had fits, where it would randomly refuse certain computers and required a restart to allow them to connect. My friend had one just die after it was out of warranty.

Of the above routers, none of them offer bridge support either.

So our point of DD-WRT on a WRT54GL, is not to make a brand war (And please do not reply to this post with a brand war).

Rather we're recommending a solution that we've had experience with and is known to work, because there are crap name brand routers out there, and it's easy to accidentally get one. The other advantage, is that DD-WRT is an open source, custom firmware for linksys routers, which means that if you do have problems, you can file bugs. Or if you want to mess with new features, you have more freedom to do so. And if you have any software problems, you'll still be able to fix them once it goes out of warranty.

What do you think? A linksys wrt54gl costs a little bit more than other brands, but you get peace of mind that it will work, more support, and a quality product.

James

Board footer