You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-02 09:31:50

Salkay

[SOLVED] Packages moved into official repositories then discarded

In the last few weeks, I've come across two packages that were originally in the AUR, then moved to the official repositories, and later discarded.

I (re-)uploaded plasma5-applets-active-window-control to the AUR in 2017, and it was moved into the official repositories about a week later. However, about a week ago, it disappeared from the official repos. Often when packages disappear from the official repos, they are uploaded into the AUR. This was not the case this time, so I just reuploaded it myself. The Arch mailing lists are a pain to search, but I don't this there is any information on this package there.

Similarly, plasma5-applets-thermal-monitor was uploaded to the AUR in 2017, then deleted and moved into the official repositories later that year. This has subsequently been deleted from the official repositories recently, with no package uploaded to the AUR. I also cannot find any reference to this package on the Arch mailing list.

What is the story with these? How should I find information on why these packages were removed? Should they have been uploaded to the AUR?

I'm happy to keep reuploading if I have to, but I just wanted to check what was going on.

Last edited by Salkay (2024-03-03 01:01:00)

#2 2024-03-02 13:19:10

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Packages moved into official repositories then discarded

Likely because they haven't been ported to Plasma 6 yet and that's where we're going?

#3 2024-03-02 13:40:43

Salkay

Thanks @V1del, I suspected this might be the case, but it seemed a bit premature since many of us are still using Plasma 5. IDK how it's worked in the past, but presumably some might stay with Plasma 5 even when 6 comes out of testing, so it's probably worth keeping these packages in the AUR.

In any case, are the deletion of these packages generally discussed anywhere accessible, or is it usually just an independent decision by the maintainer?

#4 2024-03-02 14:47:08

V1del
Forum Moderator

If someone wants to stay on plasma5 they'd have to maintain that themselves anyway.

If there are decisions that concern the wider distribution it's discussed on arch-dev-public but in this case I'm strongly assuming a maintainer decision.

#5 2024-03-03 01:00:46

Salkay

Thanks again @V1del. I've re-uploaded it to AUR in the meantime.

Board footer