You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-09 18:51:29

Tucky

Black screen on second monitor connected through dock station wayland

I made the update to Plasma 6 on my laptop.

Before that, I never tried wayland which is now activated by default.

I have a second monitor plugged on an usb-c docking station which works well with Xorg.

However, with wayland, this screen stays black. If I plug it directly on my laptop with HDMI wire there is no problem.

> lspci -k | grep -A 3 -E "(VGA|3D)"
06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cezanne [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] (rev c5)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Cezanne [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series]
        Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
        Kernel modules: amdgpu

Result of `journalctl -b`

#2 2024-04-23 09:15:12

marlemion

Re: Black screen on second monitor connected through dock station wayland

Hello, I can confirm this behavior with a thinkpad dock. The dock worked beforehand with plasma 5 and also works with another (same model) windows laptop. I have not booted into a live plasma 5 to exclude a hardware problem.

Funnily enough, if I twist the thunderbolt connector at the laptop around 180 degree and plug it in again, the screens work, but the other periphery does not.

Have you tried this as well?

PS: by the way: the screens (I have two screens connected via the dock) are recognized in the system settings even if black. Also the border of the screen still shown (the laptop screen) is not a 'hard' border. It appears that the system simply does not activate the screens.

Last edited by marlemion (2024-04-23 09:16:40)

Board footer