You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-05 14:22:51

migam830

Changes to default /etc/makepkg.conf affecting AUR users

A few months ago, some changes were committed to the default makepkg.conf file included with the pacman package (commit 90bf367e). As I understand this, these changes were made so that all users would have the same default configuration (as discussed here). These changes include enabling debug builds, enabling LTO and changing the ZST compression flags to use heavier compression.

While this new configuration might be beneficial to package maintainers, I feel that this is likely to cause issues for AUR users. For instance, when these changes were made, I suddenly noticed that running makepkg took much longer (due to the heavier compression) and it was now building two packages (regular and debug) instead of one. I hadn't changed the file so a .pacnew file wasn't created and I wasn't aware of the changes. It was only recently that I discovered this commit and reverted the changes on my system. After reverting the changes everything works as it used to.

I have already seen people on this forum having issues as a direct consequence of the changes (for instance, here and here) and it took me some time to work out what was going on. I understand that this doesn't affect users who have edited the config file, but this is going to affect every new Arch Linux user who wants to use the AUR. Because of this, I think that users should be notified of these changes and told what they can change for a better experience. Alternatively, it might be useful to have a separate default config file for AUR users and package maintainers since having heavy compression and debug builds might be useful for package maintainers, but is an inconvenience for the vast majority of AUR users.

Last edited by migam830 (2024-04-05 14:53:08)

#2 2024-04-05 15:26:39

merlock

Re: Changes to default /etc/makepkg.conf affecting AUR users

Since AUR isn't supported, users have to make changes to adapt their system; either by editing /etc/makepkg.conf, or do their own in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pacman.

Eenie meenie, chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak -- Bullwinkle J. Moose
It's a big club...and you ain't in it -- George Carlin
Registered Linux user #149839
perl -e 'print$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10); '

#3 2024-04-05 15:44:03

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Merlock, that's true, but guidance on editing their config in order to productively use the AUR is reasonable.  We already have an AUR page on the wiki instructing users on installing base-devel and configuring compressing in their makepkg.conf.  It sounds like a good proposal to me to add a bullet point there noting the option to disable building debug packages.

Though this should probably be in the wiki discussion sub-forum and / or directly on the talk page of the AUR page of the wiki itself.

(edit: fixed error that reversed the meaning ... oops)

Last edited by Trilby (2024-04-05 22:48:51)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2024-04-05 16:05:34

merlock

@Trilby, point taken.

Last edited by merlock (2024-04-05 16:05:47)

Eenie meenie, chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak -- Bullwinkle J. Moose
It's a big club...and you ain't in it -- George Carlin
Registered Linux user #149839
perl -e 'print$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10); '

#5 2024-04-05 16:08:21

migam830

Yes, that is all true. However, on the Arch Wiki page for the AUR, under the section about "Debugging the package build process" (here), one of the suggestions made is to "Try the default makepkg configuration". The problem is that this default configuration is likely to cause more issues due to the changes.

#6 2024-04-05 16:56:29

loqs

migam830 wrote:

Yes, that is all true. However, on the Arch Wiki page for the AUR, under the section about "Debugging the package build process" (here), one of the suggestions made is to "Try the default makepkg configuration".

Why not discuss that on the wiki as Trilby suggested?  If you want changes to makepkg.conf as provided by the pacman package that would have to be done though Arch's gitlab instance.  If you are assuming a developer will see your post,  historically very few are active on the forums.

Last edited by loqs (2024-04-05 16:56:49)

#7 2024-04-05 17:01:01

migam830

loqs wrote:

Why not discuss that on the wiki as Trilby suggested?  If you want changes to makepkg.conf as provided by the pacman package that would have to be done though Arch's gitlab instance.  If you are assuming a developer will see your post,  historically very few are active on the forums.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion.

#8 2024-04-06 12:01:56

tekstryder

On the topic of makepkg.conf defaults, the thing I found confusing with the new defaults is the disparity between the documented default OPTIONS and the actual OPTIONS that are set by default:

#########################################################################
# GLOBAL PACKAGE OPTIONS
#   These are default values for the options=() settings
#########################################################################
#
# Makepkg defaults: OPTIONS=(!strip docs libtool staticlibs emptydirs !zipman !purge !debug !lto !autodeps)
#  A negated option will do the opposite of the comments below.
#
#-- strip:      Strip symbols from binaries/libraries
#-- docs:       Save doc directories specified by DOC_DIRS
#-- libtool:    Leave libtool (.la) files in packages
#-- staticlibs: Leave static library (.a) files in packages
#-- emptydirs:  Leave empty directories in packages
#-- zipman:     Compress manual (man and info) pages in MAN_DIRS with gzip
#-- purge:      Remove files specified by PURGE_TARGETS
#-- debug:      Add debugging flags as specified in DEBUG_* variables
#-- lto:        Add compile flags for building with link time optimization
#-- autodeps:   Automatically add depends/provides
#
OPTIONS=(strip docs !libtool !staticlibs emptydirs zipman purge debug lto)

Doing a quick stare-compare tells me these two lines differ:

OPTIONS=(!strip docs libtool staticlibs emptydirs !zipman !purge !debug !lto !autodeps)

Last edited by tekstryder (2024-04-06 12:05:34)

#9 2024-04-06 13:58:10

loqs

# Makepkg defaults: OPTIONS=(!strip docs libtool staticlibs emptydirs !zipman !purge !debug !lto !autodeps)

Is from the pacman project and is the set of options that will be used if OPTIONS is not set.

Is from the pacman package setting Arch's defaults.

#10 2024-04-07 00:25:43

tekstryder

Thanks @loqs for taking the time to explain the difference, makes perfect sense.

Even after 15+ years using our beloved distro, I often forget the agnostic upstream-ish pacman.

Board footer