You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-18 17:22:09

wideroger

[SOLVED] Wrong keyboard layout on new user

Hi!
This is my first post on the forums big_smile.

I've been using Arch with GNOME for about a year and a half on my laptop, and for the most part I've been able to solve any issue that has come up searching the forums or with the help of a friend of mine who also has experience with Arch and with Linux systems in general, but I haven't been able to find anything on this, it's possible that I haven't searched thoroughly enough if so please point me to the right direction.

I wanted to create another user so that I could work on my uni stuff from there and have a cleaner home directory on my main user. I've tried creating it through GNOME Settings, using the adduser script and with this useradd as well. In all 3 cases when I log onto the user the us keyboard layout gets loaded. Also when I created the user using either useradd or GNOME Settings Spotify didn't work (I didn't try to fix it since I've been more preoccupied about the layout not loading, and I think it has an easy fix so I'm not worried).

This is the command I ran to create it with useradd

sudo useradd -m -G wheel,vboxusers -c "Uni Name" -s /bin/zsh uni

This is what's in /etc/vconsole.conf

KEYMAP=es
XKBLAYOUT=es

This is my localectl output

System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
               LC_NUMERIC=ca_ES.UTF-8
               LC_TIME=ca_ES.UTF-8
               LC_MONETARY=ca_ES.UTF-8
               LC_PAPER=ca_ES.UTF-8
               LC_MEASUREMENT=ca_ES.UTF-8
    VC Keymap: es
   X11 Layout: es

Last edited by wideroger (2024-04-19 12:08:58)

#2 2024-04-18 20:47:18

seth

Re: [SOLVED] Wrong keyboard layout on new user

vconsole isn't relevant, for gnome (certainly on wayland but ultimately also on X11) the relevant part are the gnome settings (for that user) in gnome-control-center
=> Is this on X11 or wayland?

#3 2024-04-19 12:08:12

wideroger

Re: [SOLVED] Wrong keyboard layout on new user

I can't believe it was something this simple I feel so stupid, but I don't remember having to change this setting when creating my main user after installation. Thanks! big_smile
It's on X11 btw.

Board footer