You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-19 19:01:51

user7z

Increased powerconsumption in kde desktop

With older plasma my laptop configured via tlp stays up to 10 hours , after a recent updates i remarque that :
/usr/lib/kf6/baloo_file_anything
nvme0qn
eates the energy regardes other stuff , i have 10 cores powerfull prossesor but with the the fan is running , before i use my laptop without need for cooling and laptop could stay 4hours up to 5.30 with unstable power consumption
Journalctl-xb :
baloo_file_extractor[1957]: qt.gui.imageio: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile.
kernel: warning: `kdeconnectd' uses wireless extensions which will stop working for Wi-Fi 7 hardware; use nl802

Last edited by user7z (2024-04-19 20:40:19)

#2 2024-04-20 06:36:15

Vamp898
Website

Re: Increased powerconsumption in kde desktop

Ah yeah, the joy and pain of semantic desktop search features. This issue exists pretty much since semantic desktop was introduced in KDE4 in 2008. It was improved with the switch from NEPOMUK to baloo, but yeah, its not gone. Don't expect it to go away anytime soon.

Semantic desktops provide an good solution for an insanely small amount of users, but bring a big headache to almost all of them. But a lot of design choices in KDE are like this, sadly, but thats a topic for another day. But to be more specific to your question, you basically have three choices.

- Just wait until baloo ever finishes (could take some time depending on your home folder) and accept the immensely large database that will be followed by that and the high cpu consumption whenever you search for small things
- Find out which folder is causing pain to baloo and exclude it from indexing
- Disable baloo (what most people do because they don't need an semantic desktop search)

You can change the settings in the Systemsettings --> Search

#3 2024-04-20 09:27:34

kokoko3k

I just disabled desktop search and never looked back.

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#4 2024-04-20 18:50:58

user7z

he thank you friends , i see the services that causes the problem but i didnt know its the kde search who causing this , i well disable it and soon i well switch to something more simple like dwm windows manager, i dont want bloated arch ,i want a lightweight linux

#5 2024-04-21 04:48:04

Vamp898
Website

user7z wrote:

he thank you friends , i see the services that causes the problem but i didnt know its the kde search who causing this , i well disable it and soon i well switch to something more simple like dwm windows manager, i dont want bloated arch ,i want a lightweight linux

Having less doesn't automatically mean faster/more efficient. You can have a very small/simple code that's slow/inefficient and a big/large code that is fast/efficient.

A lot of Linux users end up with the slower system when trying to debloat, beside that, the only Desktop that supports working HDR out-of-the-box currently is Plasma 6, just as one example.

Feel free to experiment and test around, but KDE is very modular and can be small, if you want it to be. Some options can't be changed because they are decided by the Arch devs. But in Gentoo for example, you can build whole KDE without semantic-desktop/baloo.

So KDE can be very small and lightweight if you want it to be. Some options can only be changed at compile time (so can't be changed in Arch), but even the things you can't uninstall on Arch, you still can disable and not use.

Another example is the Music Player Elisa. Elisa works with ffmpeg/QtMultimedia out-of-the-box and doesn't need any additional dependencies. The Arch devs decided to built it with VLC support (for whatever reason i don't know) and that is why it pulls in a full blown VLC with old ffmpeg and so on. But that is not an KDE issue.

If you want an extremely small/lightweight Linux System, you have to built it yourself (either using Gentoo or LFS). You can workaround by the choice of applications, but most people end up needing one application in particular that will pull in hundreds of packages as dependencies because one single feature in that application, you might not want/need, needs an KDE/GNOME Library as dependency.

It does work on Archlinux, but it is significantly simpler on Systems where you can just choose the build time dependencies. But that also comes with a cost. As you have to decide for yourself what you want in your system, you need a good and deep understanding about how these components work together and so on. So its nothing you just do intuitive without experience.

Installing Arch is pretty easy and straightforward, there is nothing much you can do wrong following the manual and you're done. With Gentoo, the manual expects you to know what you're doing and often only gives a few examples forcing you to decide yourself on how to do things. There are more then enough people who spend a week or even more getting their first Kernel working because they have no idea what they need, what not and disabling what features causes what effect.

So think twice if you _really_ need an lightweight System when you will probably run a Web Browser on top that is often as complex as an whole Desktop Environment and eats up all your RAM anyway.

Last edited by Vamp898 (2024-04-21 05:02:17)

Board footer