You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-22 00:32:09

mechanized-madman

System unusable because D-Bus fails to start after failed upgrade

A few days ago I walked away from a running pacman installation, only to come back to my machine completely frozen with a flashing caps lock. Somehow it kernel panicked on step 2

reloading system manager configuration

... so I rebooted.

I am greeted by "error: vmlinuz-linux not found, you need to load the kernel first"... weird, but after some searching I reinstalled the kernel and systemd, then regenerated my grub config file. The system now "boots" but I get several D-Bus errors before getting a blank screen with blinking cursor. No TTYs at all.

Various posts here on the forum suggested that my packages were broken and that some variation of pacman -Qkk then reinstalling would work... which it kind of did. I ended up here, with the D-Bus failing to start and SDDM working but not logging in. I disabled the quiet kernel parameter and rebooted and found that some empty XML files in /usr/share/dbus-1/system.d/ were causing fatal error -131, so I removed them... but I still get the errors when booting and journalctl doesnt say anything about it now.

Attempting to run a full upgrade from within the chroot environment returns "there is nothing to do" but if I try and install something I do end up with a successful installation(but it does spit "ldconfig: File *** is empty, not checked)

Some stuff seems to still work from the chroot environment (though Vim required to be reinstalled), but being a noob, I can't verify much-so is there anything I can do? I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

I'd rather not have to reinstall everything again(as that feels antithetical to the do-it-yourself mentality of Arch) but I do understand that amateurs attempting to fix something are much more likely to irrecoverably break it.

Last edited by mechanized-madman (2024-04-22 11:18:56)

#2 2024-04-22 07:15:02

seth

Board footer