You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-22 11:43:58

GearMic

Bluetooth not connecting on cloned machines

I have a system with four machines that have USB Bluetooth dongles and ideally each of them should be able to connect to a Bluetooth speaker (of course only one at a time). The four PCs were set up by cloning a hard drive three times, so the majority of the system is the same. However the IP and MAC addresses are different and Bluetooth (The packages recommended in the Wiki) was installed individually after the initial setup process.

When initially pairing, the speaker connects normally. But when all Computers have the speaker remembered, connecting only ever works on the computer that the speaker was last paired to. On all other machines the following happens:

However, it only ever connects to the PC that last paired with the speaker. On all other machines, the following happens:

[bluetooth]# connect 40:C1:F6:69:4C:3C1:F6:69:4C:3C
Attempting to connect to 40:C1:F6:69:4C:3C
[CHG] Device 40:C1:F6:69:4C:3C Connected: yes
[JBL Boombox 3]# Failed to connect: org.bluez.Error.Failed br-connection-unknown
[CHG] Device 40:C1:F6:69:4C:3C Connected: no

Related to the problem might be the fact that the user accounts are managed centrally via LDAP. However to my knowledge the bluetooth configuration is saved somewhere in /var/bluetooth so there should be no user specific issues. Also, the same problem occurs on a account that is locally managed.

The closest thing to my problem I have found online is this post. It mentions that this might be related to some kind of local caching, but it does not provide a solution other than forgetting and repairing the device every time.

#2 2024-04-22 12:13:08

Outswayer

Re: Bluetooth not connecting on cloned machines

you've linked the bluetooth wiki page, so you might have read it already, but just a guess (i think i've had an issue with it in the past...) have you read the info on dual booting concerning pairing keys? I know you're using different devices instead of dualbooting off one, but i imagine having the same pairing key on multiple devices might confuse the speaker?

if you've cloned the drives, there is a fair chance they all have the same key (although you did say you installed bluetooth later, but still, check just in case), in your situation i'd probably try to change them so each device has it's own pairing key and see if that fixes it. Not too sure if it's really this though.

Last edited by Outswayer (2024-04-22 12:14:24)

#3 2024-04-24 11:03:18

GearMic

Re: Bluetooth not connecting on cloned machines

You might be right. Currently I don't have time to check but I have to admit that it's been a while since I read the Bluetooth wiki entry so I didn't have the part about pairing keys in mind anymore.

Board footer