You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-23 01:03:03

SaphireLattice

KDE 6 - Lock screen (kscreenlocker_greet) shows black with cursor only

So, after updating to Plasma 6 (at least 6.0.3 and 6.0.4), I have had my lock screen just end up as pure black. Sometimes it manages to show up, but otherwise it is just blank screen with a cursor that reacts to stuff on it - text field gets a selection cursor, etc. Typing in my password works, but I have to do it blindly and it's getting annoying as I want to try out new layouts. Also because it's all blanket out, I don't know what layout is even active on the screen and I have at least one different one that can be active beyond the QWERTY.

Updating did not help. Not seeing anything notable in `journalctl`? Like the only thing related to it is complaining about Hunspell dictionary. Also, running  `/usr/lib/kscreenlocker_greet` directly from terminal works okay without any errors, other than the same warning about the dictionary.

Edit: Right, forgot, it's all on X11. Single monitor, 4k at 150% scaling. amdgpu on RX6800XT. Cleaning `~/.cache/*.kcache` files like someone said in https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=293631 did not help at all

Actually, playing around with "Plasma Style"... somehow it consistently breaks only on default vanilla plain "Breeze". Others are fine. Not sure if it's an issue with that, or more cache to clear out and so? Odd

Edit 2:  Found the KDE bug report related to this, which is different from a similar bug also tracked over there - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=483163

Workaround for me is to create a blank plasma style in `~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/` with two files:
"metadata.desktop":

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=Blank copy of Breeze
Name=Custom - Breeze Copy
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=breeze-copy
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Version=0.0.1

"setttings":

baseTheme=breeze
Translucent Background=breeze
Widget Background=breeze
Analog Clock=breeze
Dialog Background=breeze
Tooltip=breeze
Notes=breeze
Run Command Dialog=breeze
Pager=breeze
Icons=breeze
Shutdown Dialog=breeze
Panel Background=breeze
Task Items=breeze
Kickoff=breeze

Last edited by SaphireLattice (2024-04-23 01:49:12)

Board footer