You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-23 10:38:28

atggreg

Cursor with black screen instead of sddm after terminating plymouth.

I can switch to other tty. So here's couple of things I tried.
1) I tried uninstalling Nvidia drivers. Now there is no black screen with cursor instead splash screen is stuck with "terminating plymouth".
2) After reinstalling Nvidia, I did `sudo systemctl status sddm`. apparently sddm is working fine. (apart from some locale warning. it doesn't seem to be a issue to me)
3) Tried nvidia-lts on linux-lts. Still the same problem. (I thought problem might be with nvidia drivers)

I am uploading output of `journalctl -b` at:

https://0x0.st/XoC-.txt

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks.

#2 2024-04-23 10:47:45

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Cursor with black screen instead of sddm after terminating plymouth.

What's in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log ? Did you run nvidia-xconfig when installing the nvidia drivers? Remove the config it generated if so.

#3 2024-04-23 12:32:06

atggreg

OMG. Yes I tried running nvidia-xconfig it generated a config in /etc/ X11/xorg.conf. I deleted that file and it WORKED!!!. Thanks a lot good sir.

#4 2024-04-23 13:12:09

V1del
Forum Moderator

Running nvidia-xconfig or any sort of "auto xorg configuration tool" has not been necessary for decades by now and especially in the PRIME usecase it will generate an incorrect configuration (unless the --prime command argument is given, but even that isn't necessary on new enough xorg versions, where "new enough" is like 6 or more years ago)

Please mark as [SOLVED] by editing the title in your first post (might have to shorten it a little)

Board footer