You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-28 00:28:44

antarctic

My dwm windows are lagging after a while

Hello, I've had this problem for some time and it's getting really annoying after a while. If I have DWM on for a long time, the windows suddenly start bugging, e.g. When I open the suckless terminal it opens very small in the upper left corner above my open window.

or if I want to open something else, it just opens over it and covers everything.

#2 2024-04-28 06:34:01

seth

Re: My dwm windows are lagging after a while

Did dwm crash?
Positioning a window at 0x0 is what will happen by default when there's no wm and you're not instructing the client to move the window somewhere (-geometry)

#3 2024-04-28 09:58:59

antarctic

seth wrote:

Did dwm crash?
Positioning a window at 0x0 is what will happen by default when there's no wm and you're not instructing the client to move the window somewhere (-geometry)

No, it just happens sometimes. If I'm working for a long time and spawn a new window, it spawns above the open one and doesn't split up like it usually does

#4 2024-04-28 10:48:26

manyroads
Website

It sounds like you may have borked some things in config.h  If you check for errors during your compiles and/ or report versions of dwm and st you are running, perhaps you can obtain more useful help.

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
spectrwm, i3, bspwm, dwm  ~ Reg. Linux User #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

#5 2024-04-28 13:48:25

seth

Make sure dwm is actually still running when this happens - the described symptoms (0x0 on top of the stack) is what will happen if there's no window manager at all.
If this is happening while DWM is running, I'd first and foremost take a look at the patches you apply.

How long is "long"? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?
I guess dwm might wrap around some integer that keeps a window index?

Board footer