You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-01 03:09:53

freddie27117

[SOLVED] Getting Nvidia GPU fans to run after reboot

Hello all, I've been struggling with this for a few days now so I figured I'd see if anyone has a solution.

I am trying to set it up so that when my computer starts the fans on my GPU come on automatically. At first I figured this would be easy however it has become quite the challenge. If I open nvidia-settings and enable manual fan control the fans come on, however this does not persist after a restart, even with saving the xconfiguation file.
Running nvidia-settings -a "[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1" works but this again does not persists through a restart.

For context my GPU is a RTX 4090 and im running X11 on KDE.

So here are the thing i've tried:

- I made a small bash file and entered the above command, if I manually run the bash file it works, but when cron tries to I get "ERROR: The control display is undefined"

- So I figured I would pass it the display:
export DISPLAY=:0
nvidia-settings -a "[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1"

Still... no luck.

- I tried creating a systemd job but that has the exact same issue.

The only thing that actual works is manually running my bash script every time I boot my PC which id rather not do. If anyone has any advice/idea's id be very grateful

Last edited by freddie27117 (2024-05-02 15:19:11)

#2 2024-05-01 07:29:28

seth

Re: [SOLVED] Getting Nvidia GPU fans to run after reboot

even with saving the xconfiguation file.

Remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf again, nvidia-settings generates horrible cruft that will only come back to bite you later.

Running nvidia-settings -a "[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1" works but this again does not persists through a restart.

Yes, that's normal.
You can load the entire ~/.nvidia-settings-rc w/ "nvidia-settings -l", though.

but when cron tries to I get "ERROR: The control display is undefined"

cron? Run nvidia-settings -a with your X11 session script (this depends on how you start X11, dm, startx, …)
If you don't want to wait for/rely on X11 try to use https://man.archlinux.org/man/extra/nvi … #Fan_Speed

#3 2024-05-02 03:51:26

freddie27117

Setting in in the sddm session script work, thanks a ton!

#4 2024-05-02 05:45:53

seth

\o/
Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

Board footer