You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-05 16:44:21

DERA
Website

RPM to pkg.tar.gz and Pacman

Hello,
Is there any easy way to convert rpm packages into Pacman compatible ones?
I'm not interested in installing rpm's in Arch Linux (and if it is possible to do that, I don't even know how to do it). My problem is that I need/want to install the OpenOffice suite in my native language: portuguese from Portugal (in the Arch repository there are only packages of the Brazilian portuguese localization). And, when I unpack the OOo_2.1.0_LinuxIntel_install_pt.tar.gz file I've downloaded from the OpenOffice official site, the only thing I get is rpm's. Once I used Alien in Ubuntu to convert rpm's into deb's and It works very well.
How can I do something similar in Arch?

DerA (pt_PT)

What one fool can do, another can. - Ancient Simian Proverb

#2 2007-04-05 16:51:12

shamrok

Re: RPM to pkg.tar.gz and Pacman

Try rpmextract or rpmunpack (they are in arch repos).

#3 2007-04-05 17:10:52

DERA
Website

Thank's shamrok.
rpmunpack creates easily cpio's files (example: "openoffice.org-base-2.1.0-6.cpio.gz" from the rpm "openoffice.org-base-2.1.0-6.i586.rpm".
And now? How can I install this cpio file?
I've tried with Pacman, but it just tells me that misses some kind of an info file:

[root@XXX RPMS]# pacman -A openoffice.org-base-2.1.0-6.cpio.gz
loading package data... load_pkg: missing package info file in openoffice.org-base-2.1.0-6.cpio.gz
[root@XXX RPMS]#

Can you give me please further information? Sure I'm not doing it right.

DerA (pt_PT)

What one fool can do, another can. - Ancient Simian Proverb

#4 2007-04-05 17:22:51

XazZ

rpmextract just extracts the content of a .rpm file... (like unzip unzips a .zip file)
You have to create your own PKGBUILD for the package you want...
You can take this PKGBUILD and use it as example: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =1&ID=6528

XazZ

#5 2007-04-05 19:10:44

toofishes
Developer
Website

DERA wrote:

Hello,
Is there any easy way to convert rpm packages into Pacman compatible ones?
I'm not interested in installing rpm's in Arch Linux (and if it is possible to do that, I don't even know how to do it). My problem is that I need/want to install the OpenOffice suite in my native language: portuguese from Portugal (in the Arch repository there are only packages of the Brazilian portuguese localization). And, when I unpack the OOo_2.1.0_LinuxIntel_install_pt.tar.gz file I've downloaded from the OpenOffice official site, the only thing I get is rpm's. Once I used Alien in Ubuntu to convert rpm's into deb's and It works very well.
How can I do something similar in Arch?

Why don't you take the PKGBUILD of one of these files and modify it accordingly to build your locale?

Board footer