You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-22 14:50:06

Bogart

Firefox File handling in KDE problem [SOLVED]

Recently I've noticed that Firefox doesn't give me a default app to open a file anymore. I mean, if I click on a PDF file, it used to open a dialog offering me to open it with kpdf (default). Now that same dialog just offers me to browse for the application I want to open the file with, so I have to manually browse to /opt/kde/bin/kpdf each and every time ! And the same with other file types. Does anybody else experience this?

You can test it clicking on this link:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

EDIT: I think this is related to this bug, since my /etc/mailcap and /etc/mime.types are empty except for java entry:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6801

EDIT2: No, it doesn't have anything to do with that bug. It should work without /etc/mailcap.

Last edited by Bogart (2007-05-22 22:34:50)

#2 2007-05-22 22:34:36

Bogart

Re: Firefox File handling in KDE problem [SOLVED]

Ok, I found the problem.

In order to have Firefox offering you the default application to open a certain file, you need to install libgnome !

I removed bluefish some days ago with its dependencies and since then it stopped working.

libgnome depends on gnome-mime-data, gconf, gnome-vfs and libbonobo, but none of these are enough to make Firefox work correctly. It really needs libgnome.

Not sure if it would be a good idea to put these dependencies on Firefox. Probably not. Each one should decide if it's worth or not. Maybe some info would be useful, though.

#3 2007-05-22 23:12:47

crc32

I can confirm that installing libgnome works.

Thanks Bogart. I used to do this by mailcap and it was painful to maintain. But I don't need to do that anymore now smile

#4 2007-05-29 17:28:29

vtn

Hmmmm, this should go to the wiki!

I have also had this problems... File associations in Firefox stopped working with KDE some time ago but at the time I did not realize the causes. Two days ago I installed some Gnome apps and today I realized things were OK, and was investigating the reason for it.

Desktop integration is really important and this Firefox issue is an annoying problem for almost everybody.

Board footer