You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-11 19:25:15

pressh
Developer/TU

Enlisy

Did anyone tried this distro yet? From the little information that is available on the site it looks pretty much like Arch... Out of curiousity, anyone knows what the difference is compared to Arch ?

#2 2007-06-11 22:59:01

Borosai

Re: Enlisy

That looks like a re-branded version of arch with a few minor changes.

#3 2007-06-12 00:51:21

loserveg

yeah wow, that kinda makes me mad...wtf enlisy

#4 2007-06-13 18:39:31

noitroi

I'm one of the developers of enlisy, I'm also the founder of enlisy.

Enlisy is a new distribution with some of its concepts taken from arch.
For example is the layout of our buildscript (ELSBUILD) almost like archlinux, but instead of using
pacman we using apport (written in python).

I know that's arch is clean and so on, but we wants to make enlisy even more clean.

One example is that we not move gnome and xfce back to /usr, we use /opt for bigger things instead.

We neither have as much packages in base, that arch have.

As init system, we using initng instead.

Gnu/Linux is free, so anyone is free to make his changes of a distribution and release it under their own name.

We are NOT a remastering of arch, we just borrow some few concepts and ideas from arch - that we think are very great.

Some screenshots of our installer (written in python and curses): (page in swedish)
http://enlisy.com/sv/index.php?title=Enlisy_Leone

Btw, we had also borrow some concepts from other distributions like gentoo (their base layout).

So stop whining and be glad for the reason that linux and gnu are free big_smile

EDIT: We also don't using initrd or some patches on the kernel - just clean and beautiful vanilla sources wink

EDIT2: Almost forgot something! - our community are nice, pleasant, peaceful and helpful!

So get out in the sun and be happy about living!

Last edited by noitroi (2007-06-13 19:21:56)

#5 2007-06-13 20:56:23

pressh
Developer/TU

the installer looks clean and ok, though you may want to rephrase the 'you may nou...'  sentences in the installer, it looks kinda annoying. You say the community is nice, there are like 3 posts on your english phorum....

anyway, thanks for explaining what the distro is about as I could not find it anywhere on your homepage. Good luck with your distro.

#6 2007-06-13 21:05:53

Mikko777

Swedes... need I say more?

GL indeed tongue

#7 2007-06-13 21:09:05

noitroi

pressh wrote:

the installer looks clean and ok, though you may want to rephrase the 'you may nou...'  sentences in the installer, it looks kinda annoying. You say the community is nice, there are like 3 posts on your english phorum....

anyway, thanks for explaining what the distro is about as I could not find it anywhere on your homepage. Good luck with your distro.

Yes we have got some more complain about the text in the installer, so that will change to our next release who will hopefully be released in May 2008.

Our forums isn't so big yet, but on IRC and other places on the net its different - just sweden then!

Thanks!

EDIT: And btw, arch was inspired from crux - another swedish linux-distribution.

So it goes round and round all over the world big_smile

Last edited by noitroi (2007-06-13 21:11:09)

#8 2007-06-13 21:42:56

barebones

Is apport a python implementation of pacman?

Sounds interesting, could you point me towards some more information about it?

#9 2007-06-13 22:16:10

xerxes2
Website

hello guys.
you can say that enlisy very much is arch revritten in python. we don't share code (distro specific) but the packagemanager is using pacmans api and we are normally using archs buildscripts unmodified. special thanks to jgc and others big_smile. and we are just a hobbydistro that are 100% opensource so everything we do is on our svn repo. and our installer is pretty neat yeah, it's fairly modular too so just take it if you want it. i'll happily steal your improvements back anyway. big_smile

now we are in no rush with enlisy and this year i've perhaps coded one week on enlisy (been busy) so we move a tad slooow and we are always looking for more devs so just join in on the action if you like.

and about our english beeing bad, well, i guess so but it's usually just dumbasses who give a rats ass about it so to put it frankly "our base are ... " big_smile

btw: very nice forums this, hell, even i learned linux here.

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#10 2007-06-13 23:20:43

Borosai

Thanks for the additional background information on your project. I guess whenever you have more time, an About page (or something similar) would be a good idea, as it would clear up any questions about Enlisy (unless you already have one and I completely missed it).

I wish you guys good luck... it's great to see people take the initiative and make something that they enjoy. I don't have a problem at all with borrowing ideas from here and there... that's what it's all about anyway.

And your English is better than my Swedish. big_smile

NOTE: I don't speak Swedish.

#11 2007-06-13 23:44:29

tomk
Forum Fellow

xerxes2 wrote:

hello guys.

Hi xerxes2 - I remember you smile  - I think I adopted one of your packages. Best of luck with the distro, sounds interesting.

Mind if I pick up on something?

xerxes2 wrote:

the packagemanager is using pacmans api

Enlisy website wrote:

Apport is Enlisy's packagemanager and it's using Libpypac/Libpysrc as backend.

pacman website wrote:

As of version 3.0, pacman has been lib-ified, with a backend library named 'libalpm' (Arch Linux Package Management)

So will you be migrating to libalpm? And if so, will that wait until the May 2008 release mentioned above?

#12 2007-06-14 00:25:10

xerxes2
Website

hello again guys and thanks for the comments.
yeah, i know our websites sucks and will need some more work. some about pages or something would be a good idea. and arch is pretty big in sweden, i was loudmouthing myself about it when i ran it. big_smile

and afaik we will not ever use libalpm. we already have the whole crap written in python which is a thousand times better language than c, especially for opensource projects. use c where it makes sense, not for packagemanagers. tongue

should i ask when arch will move to apport instead. big_smile

tongue

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#13 2007-06-17 05:56:45

fancris3

http://bbs.archlinux.org/search.php?sea … 1565084295
And apport its something like yaourt in arch.
xerxes2 have 1249 posts and tomk say:Hi xerxes2 - I remember you smile . big_smile
I like arch alternatives,if arch die I have where to go smile

Board footer