You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-13 01:55:38

abhaysahai

A Newbie Guide to installing Arch

Hi,
I did a Arch install from the scratch using Arch Voodoo CD.
I have documented my steps and hope it might help others.
Please read it at
http://abhay-techzone.blogspot.com/

Please give suggestions for changes that might improve it.
Your comments are most welcome.

Regards,
Abhay

#2 2007-06-13 02:02:24

detox332

Re: A Newbie Guide to installing Arch

i really like how it looks, very user friendly, nothing too scary or unclear...i would suggest that you give alternatives other than kdemod, such as gnome or xfce...flux users should know how things work :-P but overall very good, very simplistic guide.

thanks for the contribution!
~matt

Arch64
KDE4 user

#3 2007-06-13 02:25:58

dolby

well this aint actually a guide but the notes ragarding your own installation of archlinux. even so some might find it handy. especially kdemod users

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#4 2007-06-13 07:24:07

abhaysahai

detox332 wrote:

i really like how it looks, very user friendly, nothing too scary or unclear...i would suggest that you give alternatives other than kdemod, such as gnome or xfce...flux users should know how things work :-P but overall very good, very simplistic guide.

thanks for the contribution!
~matt

This is a good idea.
I will go ahead with installing Flux and e17 and will update the guide.
In the meantime please feel free to send in your own customizations or tweeks.
I would really appritiate that.

Thanks for the encouragement.

[For Dolby]
I never claimed it to be a guide, I always said that I have simply documented my steps.
Most of my friends like KDE ( SUSE, Kubuntu users) so I thought that Kdemod would be
a good way to introduce them to Arch.
Moreover, many steps like Restricted  Apps, Audio/Video, NTFS mount etc are independent of the DE used. 
However, point taken. I will add steps for other DE's also.

#5 2007-06-13 08:38:09

dick_turpin
Website

abhaysahai wrote:

please give suggestions for changes that might improve it.

First I'd like to say your Install guide for the uninitiated ArchLinux user is awesome. I did start to write one of my own on my site but having seen yours I was wondering if it would be OK to link to yours instead and can I nick some bits of text for my site?

I'm not a big fan of sudo but that's OK the advice you give is still relevant. On a personal level I like pictures with help guides then the user can 'see' what you mean rather than just 'read' what you mean but that's just my personal preference.

Well done.

Last edited by dick_turpin (2007-06-13 08:38:29)

Regards
Peter Cannon
"The man who never makes mistakes never makes anything."

#6 2007-06-14 02:48:32

abhaysahai

dick_turpin wrote:
abhaysahai wrote:

please give suggestions for changes that might improve it.

First I'd like to say your Install guide for the uninitiated ArchLinux user is awesome. I did start to write one of my own on my site but having seen yours I was wondering if it would be OK to link to yours instead and can I nick some bits of text for my site?

I'm not a big fan of sudo but that's OK the advice you give is still relevant. On a personal level I like pictures with help guides then the user can 'see' what you mean rather than just 'read' what you mean but that's just my personal preference.

Well done.

Nice Idea.
I am preparing the next draft with details of e17 installation. Will add screenshots of terminal with pacman running.

#7 2007-06-14 08:32:25

dick_turpin
Website

Hi

abhaysahai wrote:

Nice Idea.
I am preparing the next draft with details of e17 installation. Will add screenshots of terminal with pacman running.

ROLFLMA

e17 was formerly a boy band over here in the UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_17 however I did cotton on to what you was talking about. smile

Um you didn't answer my main question by the way, can I Link to your blog section?

Cheers

Regards
Peter Cannon
"The man who never makes mistakes never makes anything."

#8 2007-06-14 10:53:59

abhaysahai

dick_turpin wrote:

Hi
ROLFLMA

e17 was formerly a boy band over here in the UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_17 however I did cotton on to what you was talking about. smile

Um you didn't answer my main question by the way, can I Link to your blog section?

Cheers

I have created this article so that more newbies like me can be benifitted.
Please go ahead and Link.
I will be more than happy if this proves useful.
For the NTFS mount, it is already linked by another website.

Cheers Mate.

#9 2007-06-14 18:56:19

nogoma

Nice, simple guide. The only minor edits I would suggest is that you use "visudo" to edit the sudoers file (just invoke "visudo"). Read the manpage for why it's a little superior to editing the file directly; for one, it can help prevent a bogus edit breaking sudo on your system. Additionally, and this is good general advice, IMO, use "sudoedit" to edit config files and such, instead of invoking "sudo vim <file>" directly. Again, read the manpage for details on why, but sudoedit will make a temporary working copy that you can edit, and will put it in place when you quit the editor.

-nogoma
---
Code Happy, Code Ruby!
http://www.last.fm/user/nogoma/

Board footer