You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-25 22:07:37

akejo

Install windows after Linux + partitions

After I posted a thread in http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=35557 I realized its probably in the wrong section so I continue here with reference to the previous post.

I've decided to install Windows to make certain work things and games easier(lazy me) and would really not like to rearrange my arch installation. so I've come up with a partition scheme and would like a comment on which to prefer based on installation/re installation of windows/arch some day. Anyways, heres the questions in order smile

1. I wonder how 'safe' gparted is, as I will probably try to shrink my / partition a fair bit to make room for either data or windows partition, much of / is not used at all..

2. How will installing Windows on a second physical disk affect arch(or on the first disk), especially regarding the boot loader, I have a faint memory about mbr being overwritten or something when installing windows as second OS.

Below is my 2 proposed partition schemes.

/dev/sda1   Swap                    520M    swap
/dev/sda2    /boot                   124M    ext2
/dev/sda3   /                       10G     reiserfs
/dev/sda4   Extended
/dev/sda5       /home                4G      reiserfs
/dev/sda6       /home/akejo/data     60G     reiserfs

/dev/sdb1    /mnt/winc                65G     ntfs         (Windows C:)
/dev/sdb2    /mnt/wind                10G     vfat         (Windows D:, Shared files, Win/Linux)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

/dev/sda1   Swap                    520M    swap
/dev/sda2    /boot                   124M    ext2
/dev/sda3   /                       10G     reiserfs
/dev/sda4   Extended
/dev/sda5       /home                4G      reiserfs
/dev/sda6       /mnt/winc            60G     ntfs    (Windows C:)

/dev/sdb1    /home/akejo/data        65G     reiserfs  
/dev/sdb2    /mnt/wind               10G     vfat      (Windows D:, Shared files, Win/Linux)

Last edited by akejo (2007-07-26 00:07:26)

#2 2007-07-26 18:53:56

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Install windows after Linux + partitions

Yes, windows overwrites the MBR, you may have to reinstall grub to get the MBR back.

Also windows needs a primary partition to boot from and expects to be booted from  the first hdd.

I recommend you use the 1st partition scheme, but reverse the disk order.
what' s now sda will become sdb and vice versa.

Note : it is possible to install windows on a logical partition, but then you need a primary boot partition (usually fat)  that's readable by windows.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2007-07-26 18:54:23)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2007-07-26 19:23:29

akejo

Thanks.

I guess the first solution could be best then, but with switched disks as you suggest. Since I got sata disks I actually never bothered to check whats first or not so I'm a little daft on sata.

Lets say I switch the cables to my two sata disks(in my MBoard), then the first partition should be second and vice versa. I guess the following points would be needed.

1. Switch cables in mb(sda becomes sdb, sdb becomes sda)
2. Make sda1(65g) and sda2(10g). Install Windows in sda1.
3. Boot up from a live cd and mount the (now)sdb partitions.
4. Change the references to sda in fstab and grub to sbd, and add windows boot(sda1) option to grub.
5. Write grub to mbr? again
6 reboot and TADA smile

Did I miss something there? Is there more references to sda then fstab and grub?

Afterthought..:

Seems I'm making it more troublesome then I thought from the start... Wouldn't it be easier to install windows in the current sdb1, then boot from a live cd to restore grub and add windows boot(to sdb1) options to it. I assume that even if I install windows in sdb1, the mbr will be written to sda.

Or I just backup/wipe my whole arch system and start with Windows install then Arch again... (Geez, I hate reinstalling things I got 'just as I like it' smile )

#4 2007-07-26 21:39:44

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

akejo wrote:

Afterthought..:

Seems I'm making it more troublesome then I thought from the start... Wouldn't it be easier to install windows in the current sdb1, then boot from a live cd to restore grub and add windows boot(to sdb1) options to it. I assume that even if I install windows in sdb1, the mbr will be written to sda.

That would be indeed be  a lot easier.
While windows doesn't suppport it, a bit of searching showed that grub can fool windows into thinking it is on the first drive.
If this is setup correctly, you won't even have to reinstall grub.

from the arch wiki Grub_configure_examples

# (1) Windows XP Pro
title Windows XP Professional
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

The map commands are the important ones, check them thoroughly.

Add that to your menu.lst and set xp as default for the duration of the installation and it should work flawlessly.

Sidenote :
lately i've solved several windows problems by using linux.
I guess my next rescue cd will be archlinux based.
(provided ntfs-3g is stable enough)

Edit : corrected typos

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2007-07-26 21:41:50)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer