You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-29 18:45:27

funkyou
Website

remember fs-fcache? new prefetching patches

Just found this: http://code.google.com/p/prefetch/

It seems quite interesting and more matured than fs-fcache. Here the numbers that count:

Boot prefetching:
- Kernel with boot prefetching boots faster than standard Ubuntu kernel with readahead by 6.31s (54.91s vs 61.21s).
- Prefetch adapts automatically to changing boot sequence - for boot with OpenOffice as part of boot sequence boot time is shorter by 15.48s (65.53s vs 81.01s).

Application prefetching:
- Application prefetching gives some gain to disk-intensive applications like OpenOffice.
- Performance of app prefetching is better than built-in OpenOffice prefetching by 1.67s.
- Prefetching can cut down OpenOffice startup time (in comparison to no prefetching at all, i.e. disabled pagein) by 3.36s, from 14.38s to 11.01s. See InitialPrefetchingImplementationResults page for details.

Files reordering on disk:
- Files reordering gives even shorter boot time, by 4.93s (47.75s vs 52.68). See InitialDiskReorderingResults page for details.
- Impact on application startup or boot with OpenOffice was not measured, but it should help also.
- Further work on reordering files on disk seems worth the effort.

I tried to install it on my arch machine but failed at the initscripts. The Kernel patches located here are working perfectly, but the userspace stuff seems to be ubuntu-only, and my attempt to port it to arch failed miserably.

Has someone already played with this?

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

Board footer