You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-09 04:02:57

twhayes

Problem Updating with Pacman - First time with Arch

This is my first attempt to install Arch.  I've been following the beginner's guide and ran into a problem when trying to execute the "update, sync and upgrade the system with pacman" step of the beginner's guide.

After I run 'pacman -Syu' I get the following errors:

error:  failed to make path '/var/lib/pacman//extra' : read-only file system
error:  failed to parse config (unexpected system error).

I assume the extra '/' in '/var/lib/pacman//extra' is the problem, but can't figure out where is it coming from or how to fix it.

I checked /etc/pacman.conf and it looks OK.  I didn't change it during the install.  Can't post it here but only entries are Logfile and Holdpkg under [options] and Include = /etc/pacman.d/core under [core], Include = /etc/pacman.d/extra under [extra] and Include = /etc/pacman.d/extra under [community].

Only uncommented entry in /etc/pacman.d/extra is Server = ftp://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/ftp.arch … ra/os/i686.

Would appreciate any advice/suggestions on how to  solve this.

Thanks much.

#2 2007-10-09 04:05:58

detox332

Re: Problem Updating with Pacman - First time with Arch

youre running pacman -Syu as root right?

Arch64
KDE4 user

#3 2007-10-09 07:04:01

twhayes

Sorry.  Forgot to mention that.  Yes, I'm running as root.  At least that's what the prompt indicates '[root@(none) etc]#' and the response from 'whoami' is root.

One other question that might be related, when I try to change config files like /etc/resolv.conf using nano, I can't save any changes and get a message saying the file is a read-only system file.  Shouldn't I be able to change files like this?  I've always been able to on other Linux distros.

Thanks much.

#4 2007-10-09 10:17:19

ndlarsen

The "[root@(none) etc]#" + the read-only part leads me to believe that you might not have rebooted after installing arch, is this so? Unless you didn't define a hostname, that is...

I made it long
as I lacked the time to make it short...

#5 2007-10-09 11:03:46

lucke

For some reason, your root filesystem is mounted read-only. It might be wise to boot with Arch's install CD and run fsck on that partition. If you want to remount that partition with write rights from within a running system, run "mount -o remount,rw /"

#6 2007-10-09 12:31:52

cucullus

you should complete installation fisrt and then update

#7 2007-10-10 04:04:03

twhayes

Solved.  Many thanks to all who replied so quickly.  I discovered that I had not correctly set up /etc/hosts.  I had included the computer name on a separate line with a static IP, but hadn't included it on the loopback line. Once I did that, everything worked find.

Board footer