You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-15 22:07:04

ibendiben

How do I lower the brightnes of my desktop environment?

I know there is asked before about setting the brightness but I didn't find a nice answer. Maibe there is none. But if there is I'd like to know in simple steps what I'm supposed to do... I can hardly look at my screen so bright... hurts my eyes... yikes
I'm running the compaq 6710b with intel x3100 with the xf86-video-intel driver...
Both the function keys and the Gnome/Xfce4 brightness editors don't work. The screen flickers for a moment but stays bright. Outside X everything is working ok.
The Ati Catalyst control panel sais there there is no Ati driver installed, or it isn't working properly. Well I have a intel chip... so don't understand why I would need the Ati control panel... but somehow an ati driver (fglrx) is installed and Xorg -configure doesn't give an error loading it so i figured that isn't the problem. Also solutions which say I should puke with the acpi-> brightness file don't help me couse I did't find a brightness file in the acpi folder.
Hope anyone knows something, you guys helped me a lot allready today wink

#2 2007-10-16 08:26:56

ibendiben

Re: How do I lower the brightnes of my desktop environment?

Ok, comment "xbacklight -set 50" (backlight is now 50% in sted of 100%) did the job.
I'll have a look at wikis and stuff to see if there's a way to get the function keys working.

#3 2007-10-16 17:40:30

ibendiben

Well,
I fount two options to ajust brightness in X:
1. xbacklight -set [value]
2. nano /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness (change the value in there to the value you want

Leaves me with two questions:

What is the difference between the two options (backlight and brightness)?
How/Where can I set those values permanently so they remain after reboot?

I guess there must be some kind of config file that replaces the values every time I reboot. Since I followed the beginners guide to arch installation i installed cpufrequtils and added the acpi-cpufreq driver. With the core 2 duo t7200 do I need a different driver?
I appreciate any help

Last edited by ibendiben (2007-10-16 17:41:08)

#4 2007-10-22 14:30:05

ibendiben

ibendiben wrote:

How/Where can I set those values permanently so they remain after reboot?

Ok, so with help of this topic:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=38871
I found a way to set the brightness automatically at boot. I made a text file containing:

#!/bin/sh
#
exec xbacklight -set 50

Made it executable with:

chmod +x <filename>

(or by hand using right mouse button ->properties->access...advanced..etc)
and than copied it into the /home/<username>/.kde/Autostart folder

Now when I start kde a little after the bootsplash the brightness dims to 50%
... oh smile what a relief!

Board footer