You are not logged in.

#376 2008-02-24 21:12:38

toofishes
Developer
Website

Re: Arch on Eee PC

faelar wrote:

You are aware you can compile them on another box?

Not if the "other box" is in my room, and it means going upstairs wink

ssh? That is how I do it. smile

With your kernel :
- Time from the input on the power button to the login prompt : 22 sec
- Time from the input on the "enter" key to my Xdesktop with panel and co : 5 sec
- Total : 27 sec wink

Else, playing with Fn+F2 give me really stranges results.
My wireless won't go up again, and eth0 is also disable !
ifconfig eth0 works.
ifconfig wifi0 or ath0 up doesn't.
Adding wifi0 and ath0 in rc.conf (with a ! for both) changes nothing.

I'll try doing the same on the default kernel with dkite's package, but as far as I remember, it works on the second attempt to recover wireless...

EDIT :

With default kernel :
- Time from the input on the power button to the login prompt : 46 sec
- Time from the input on the "enter" key to my Xdesktop with panel and co : 5 sec
- Total : 51 sec sad

eth0 never go down.
wifi0 is up again on the next use of Fn+F2, but I wasn't able to access this page. I don't think it's related to acpi because I was connected again on wicd, and since my dhcp problem is not fixed... (I found a solution on this forum but I didn't tried it yet).

Yeah, I've been trying to address some suspend issues as well with ise. I'm also working on cleaning up some of the acpi scripts and making another package. ise has also built a camera module for my kernel, and I plan on making an actual repo in the next couple of days.

I don't announce all my updates, but the latest packages are always up:
http://code.toofishes.net/packages/

Thought I would share a screenshot since there aren't many (any?) in this thread:
http://toofishes.net/media/extra/Arch_o … b_2008.png

Openbox + feh (background) + conky + sonata.

#377 2008-02-24 21:39:23

faelar
Website

my dEEEsktop wink

SSH hum... It runs currently apache, mpd + icecast, I can add ssh to the list yes.. will think about it thank you. mpd and icecast let me have all my music everywhere, great with the EEE smile

#378 2008-02-24 22:00:15

DanielW

The problem with the wifi unloading/loading with toofishes kernel i think:

You need pci express hotpluging as module in the kernel. The acpi scripts undload it to reset the wifi device complete.

DanielW

#379 2008-02-24 22:16:57

ise
Developer
Website

DanielW wrote:

The problem with the wifi unloading/loading with toofishes kernel i think:

You need pci express hotpluging as module in the kernel. The acpi scripts undload it to reset the wifi device complete.

DanielW

You are right, that was the problem. Now it works with enabled pci hotplugging.

Here are the package for the webcam (linux-uvc) for toofishes' kernel.

packge: http://dev.archlinux.org/~daniel/linux- … pkg.tar.gz
src package: http://dev.archlinux.org/~daniel/linux- … svn.tar.gz

Daniel

Last edited by ise (2008-02-24 22:17:48)

#380 2008-02-24 22:40:35

toofishes
Developer
Website

The PCI Express hotplug deduction is correct. This also explains why cycling the wireless power helps solve some problems- it got the module loaded for people. The next version of my kernel will have this module built in, along with some sound updates that ise noticed. I'm also planning on a nice little [eee] repository with all my stuff.

Great work with all the discovery here guys! I'm liking my Eee PC a lot.

#381 2008-02-24 22:53:36

DanielW

yeah, lets make arch the best distribution for the eee big_smile

Is someone using 3G networks over a bluetooth connected mobile phone with the eee?

I have a problem with that, ok it is not really eee related but maybe someone has an idea.

I use wicd for wifi and gnome-ppp for 3g connect. The problem is, gnome-ppp doesn't overwrite the  resolv.conf. So i changed the ppp up script to do that. That works... but after doing this wicd (or the dhcpclient) doesn't update the resolv.conf anymore. Only a rm resolv.conf helps then.

Tried networkmanager, but that  has even more problems...

DanielW

#382 2008-02-25 02:49:51

dkite

DanielW wrote:

yeah, lets make arch the best distribution for the eee big_smile

Is someone using 3G networks over a bluetooth connected mobile phone with the eee?

I have a problem with that, ok it is not really eee related but maybe someone has an idea.

I use wicd for wifi and gnome-ppp for 3g connect. The problem is, gnome-ppp doesn't overwrite the  resolv.conf. So i changed the ppp up script to do that. That works... but after doing this wicd (or the dhcpclient) doesn't update the resolv.conf anymore. Only a rm resolv.conf helps then.

Tried networkmanager, but that  has even more problems...

DanielW

Set your resolv.conf to opendns and chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf so it isn't changed. wicd works sometimes, depending on the router. I think the problem is dhclient. dhcpcd works but wicd uses dhclient.

Derek

#383 2008-02-25 02:51:14

dkite

toofishes wrote:

The PCI Express hotplug deduction is correct. This also explains why cycling the wireless power helps solve some problems- it got the module loaded for people. The next version of my kernel will have this module built in, along with some sound updates that ise noticed. I'm also planning on a nice little [eee] repository with all my stuff.

Great work with all the discovery here guys! I'm liking my Eee PC a lot.

I got it working by fiddling with the timings in wlan.sh. A little more time for the hardware to settle did the trick.

Derek

#384 2008-02-25 03:03:50

dkite

A new acpi script package is available at http://members.shaw.ca/dkite

This fixes some problems with the original version.

Binaries and images were installed in /usr/local. Fixed so that they are in /usr. Thanks kant1.

Adjusted some of the timings that were causing problems with wireless restart.

Added support for uswsusp for suspend to ram and suspend to disk. Thanks jochen. You need to get uswsusp from AUR, and you need to install the hibernate package.

Added a configuration file that permits users to specify what action to take on the lid closing event, Fn-F1   sleep, and power button.

The configuration file, /etc/acpi/control looks like this:

# This file controls what script is called for lid, power button and sleep button events.
# Uncomment the command you want to run.

#lid=suspend2disk.sh
lid=suspend2ram.sh
#lid=uswsusp2ram.sh

#powerbtn=suspend2disk.sh
#powerbtn=suspend2ram.sh
#powerbtn=uswsusp2ram.sh
powerbtn=powerbtn.sh

#sleep=suspend2disk.sh
sleep=suspend2ram.sh
#sleep=uswsusp2ram.sh

#385 2008-02-25 04:19:03

toofishes
Developer
Website

dkite wrote:

A new acpi script package is available at http://members.shaw.ca/dkite

This fixes some problems with the original version.

Binaries and images were installed in /usr/local. Fixed so that they are in /usr. Thanks kant1.

I noticed this and fixed it in my revised PKGBUILD that was adopted from yours. You might have to do something like the following as well:

# build the Asus OSD binary
cd ${startdir}/src/asus_osd
# rework paths to Arch standards
sed -i -e 's#/usr/local/#/usr/#g' asusosd.c
make || return 1
mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/bin
/bin/install -m0755 asusosd $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/asusosd

Now that I look, I'm not sure you updated your source PKGBUILD with anything new...you might want to check that.

dkite wrote:

Added a configuration file that permits users to specify what action to take on the lid closing event, Fn-F1   sleep, and power button.

The configuration file, /etc/acpi/control looks like this:

# This file controls what script is called for lid, power button and sleep button events.
# Uncomment the command you want to run.

#lid=suspend2disk.sh
lid=suspend2ram.sh
#lid=uswsusp2ram.sh

#powerbtn=suspend2disk.sh
#powerbtn=suspend2ram.sh
#powerbtn=uswsusp2ram.sh
powerbtn=powerbtn.sh

#sleep=suspend2disk.sh
sleep=suspend2ram.sh
#sleep=uswsusp2ram.sh

Great idea!

If I could make one more suggestion, could you please not make packages that require a --force install? This isn't proper Arch packaging standards, and it really screws things up as we have two packages that insist they own a file. My ideas for an acpi package work this way instead- install handler.sh to handler_eee.sh, and add a post_install() function as follows:

post_install() {
  echo ">>> To use this package, you will have to change your events handler"
  echo ">>> in /etc/acpi/events/anything to be /etc/acpi/handler_eee.sh."
}

# vim:set ts=2 sw=2 et:

#386 2008-02-25 07:55:57

faelar
Website

#387 2008-02-25 15:03:55

ise
Developer
Website

Ok, for all people who has problems with the internal microphone. Here is the solution:

1. First of all set in alsamixer "Input Source" to "i-Mic"
2. Increase "Capture" and "i-Mic Boost" to your needs
3. Edit /etc/asound.state the following, change the 2 "false" to "true" like showing:

....snap.....
control.11 {
                comment.access 'read write'
                comment.type BOOLEAN
                comment.count 2
                iface MIXER
                name 'Capture Switch'
                value.0 true
                value.1 true
        }
....snap.....

4. After editing run

$alsactl restore

(this is necessary)
5. Now your internal microphone is working....Have fun

Do 4. and 5. as root.

Daniel

#388 2008-02-25 16:09:50

faelar
Website

After a speed test today, I can say that video works. But like with the other eee kernel, the computer is "slow" to redraw the content of the windows when I switch to another desktop...

my xorg.conf

#389 2008-02-25 16:18:27

ise
Developer
Website

faelar wrote:

After a speed test today, I can say that video works. But like with the other eee kernel, the computer is "slow" to redraw the content of the windows when I switch to another desktop...

my xorg.conf

Why have you turned on AIGLX and composite? Turn both off and you should have a speed improvement. Switching desktops works great and fast here with xfce4.

#390 2008-02-25 16:34:59

faelar
Website

Hum...
I wasn't dreaming, with your kernel the computer IS slow. It looks like if X was eating many CPU resources.
I tried with my xorg.conf backup (without any aiglx or composite inside). So it's not linked to aiglx.
Just in case : kernel-eee version 2.6.24.2-6

EDIT : back with the 2.6.24.2-3, and it's ok. Same apps, launched in the same order. Same version for video or wifi, both work. And no more lag... So it's something you changed between this two realases...
Note : the v3 is the one I compiled on the EEE, I have just downloaded the v6.

Last edited by faelar (2008-02-25 16:45:41)

#391 2008-02-25 17:43:31

ise
Developer
Website

faelar wrote:

Hum...
I wasn't dreaming, with your kernel the computer IS slow. It looks like if X was eating many CPU resources.
I tried with my xorg.conf backup (without any aiglx or composite inside). So it's not linked to aiglx.

EDIT : back with the 2.6.24.2-3, and it's ok. Same apps, launched in the same order. Same version for video or wifi, both work. And no more lag... So it's something you changed between this two realases...

We changed the default cpu governor from "performance" to "ondemand" to save battery power. Maybe this is the issue with the performance change, because now it is on 112MHz by default, instead on max frequency. Maybe the governor don't react that fast and that's the reason why there are lags.

Last edited by ise (2008-02-25 17:44:18)

#392 2008-02-25 20:29:18

toofishes
Developer
Website

ise wrote:
faelar wrote:

Hum...

We changed the default cpu governor from "performance" to "ondemand" to save battery power. Maybe this is the issue with the performance change, because now it is on 112MHz by default, instead on max frequency. Maybe the governor don't react that fast and that's the reason why there are lags.

The default up_threshold (where it will bump to a faster speed) for the CPU governor is 80, which means it will increase the CPU speed when utilization is above 80%. This can make X applications have a bit of lag. Try changing this value:

sudo bash -c  "echo 40 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold"

I use 40, which still leaves the majority of my CPU cycles at the lowest available clock speed but increases responsiveness. You can add this line to one of your startup scripts if you wish to keep it.

#393 2008-02-26 05:19:04

toofishes
Developer
Website

Announcing my new Eee repository, which will live on code.toofishes.net.

Gitweb: http://code.toofishes.net/gitweb.cgi?p= … ;a=summary

Repository:

[eee]
Server = http://code.toofishes.net/packages/eee

Currently there are three main packages, and supplemental packages will come as I add them or they are submitted to me. Tonight we kick things off with the brand new kernel-eee-2.6.24.3 and both the wireless and camera modules built for it. The luvcview program is also provided for convenience if you want to test out your webcam.

I uploaded everything tonight and set it up in my own pacman.conf to make sure it works, and I didn't see any problems. Oh yeah, the kernel and modules seem to work too. tongue

Suggestions, comments, and questions always welcome. I plan on adding a config/ directory to the git repository eventually, where I will check in some config files I have found helpful along the way to customize for Eee, including things like fstab, syslog-ng.conf, etc.

#394 2008-02-26 05:40:09

ise
Developer
Website

toofishes wrote:

Announcing my new Eee repository, which will live on code.toofishes.net.

Finally.... big_smile Great work toofishes, thanks to all other people out there for making packages and scripts (DanielW and dkite) and all others. smile

@toofishes: I will provide some configuration files, if you want some. Especially sound related and maybe later suspend2disk config files.

Daniel

#395 2008-02-26 19:19:28

brotheris

Anyone got working s2disk ? Seems like succesfully snapshots system to swap, but after turning it on again and booting with initcpio image, it doesn't find swap partition on sd card. I enter it again (/dev/sdb1) and it proceeds to boot normaly. No restore, no nothin'

I have uswsusp and hibernate-script installed, hibernate.conf is set up, s2ram works. Any ideas ?

#396 2008-02-27 01:43:57

dkite

brotheris wrote:

Anyone got working s2disk ? Seems like succesfully snapshots system to swap, but after turning it on again and booting with initcpio image, it doesn't find swap partition on sd card. I enter it again (/dev/sdb1) and it proceeds to boot normaly. No restore, no nothin'

I have uswsusp and hibernate-script installed, hibernate.conf is set up, s2ram works. Any ideas ?

It works if you put your swap on /dev/sda. It will write the image to /dev/sdb swap partition, but won't read it. Something about the usb subsystem being shut off too soon in the process to get a valid image.

Edit: Just wanted to add that with the default kernel, even with mkinitcpio, there aren't the drivers to run it. With the *eee kernels it sees the sd partition but the swap image is faulty and it goes on to boot normally.

Derek

Last edited by dkite (2008-02-27 02:22:29)

#397 2008-02-27 20:46:38

ighea

toofishes wrote:
faelar wrote:

toofishes, I tried 3 times to download the pkg but it doesn't work, don't know why. Anyway, I downloaded the sources and make the pkg myself, it goes smoothly (but compiling on a EEE take a little time wink ).
Boot is really fast indeed, and wifi works well.
Then I tried to suspend but couldn't manage to have the interface up again (enable/disable trick doesn't work, at least for me...)
If you want me to test specifics points, just ask smile

Hmm, at least one other person had downloaed the packages successfully, I'll have to look into that.

You are aware you can compile them on another box? I compile the packages on my desktop machine and then install them on my Eee.

I haven't started looking into ACPI stuff too much yet, but I believe dkite has some ACPI scripts that might help us out there.

I noticed sound doesn't work locally- that might need fixing too. Let me know if you see something different.

Thank you and dkite for your effort with eee.
With your kernel-eee and dkite's acpi scripts my eee pc is now working perfectly!
Boots up fast and suspends and wakes up from ram fast with just pm-suspend and some vty changing in acpi-script instead of module reloading!
Whee!

(╯°□°)╯~ ┻━┻

#398 2008-02-27 23:41:02

zodmaner

Great job toofishes! smile I've just tried out your custom kernel via the repo and the boot speed is really impressive! big_smile

Everything (wireless, sound, webcam) seems to be working fine. Suspend also works but wireless didn't come up after resume. I have to use Fn + F2 key to turn wireless off and on to get wifi working again

I also got this same error as vomix:

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24.2eee/modules.dep: No such file or directory

Running depmod didn't fix it. The strange thing is I look into the directory and the modules.dep file is there. hmm It still boots up fine despite the error, though.

Thank you toofishes, DanielW, ise and dkite. You guys rock! big_smile

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-02-28 00:04:20)

#399 2008-02-28 00:21:54

toofishes
Developer
Website

zodmaner wrote:

Everything (wireless, sound, webcam) seems to be working fine. Suspend also works but wireless didn't come up after resume. I have to use Fn + F2 key to turn wireless off and on to get wifi working again

The easiest way to fix this is to add pciehp to your MODULES array in rc.conf as the first module to load. This should ensure it gets loaded before the wireless drivers, which is required for the buggy hardware/driver to work.

#400 2008-02-28 07:39:31

zodmaner

I try to load the pciehp module by adding it into MODULES array in rc.conf, but got error during boot said that module is not found (I was using kernel-eee from toofishes repo).

Also, my iptables didn't work with kernel-eee. Recomplie iptables package didn't help either. sad

Board footer