You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-19 13:50:15

mezoko
Website

dhclient doesn't update /etc/resolv.conf

I have a slight problem. When I use wicd it connects the network, but it fails to update /etc/resolv.conf.

At home my name servers are 192.168.1.1 and at school they are 10.1.1.31 and 10.1.1.30

If I add the school ones into /etc/resolv.conf everything works. Is there a way to get wicd to update /etc/resolv.conf automatically? It would be a pain to add them to each school AP in the wicd configuration! Thanks

Last edited by mezoko (2007-12-19 14:02:03)

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

#2 2007-12-19 14:01:36

mezoko
Website

Re: dhclient doesn't update /etc/resolv.conf

After I little bit more looking into the problem I ran dhclient wlan0 and it didn't update /etc/resolv.conf, so I don't think its a wicd issue....
*Changed Topic Title

#3 2007-12-20 19:06:36

benmorgan

Check the contents of the file /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd
There are some settings in there that can affect how resolv.conf is treated
(there is an -R option which supposedly preserves the resolv.conf file,
but this may not be related to wicd)

You can also try the testing version of wicd, which has a global dns servers option
in which case you can find the ISP's dns server's and use those, in which
case they will be the same for home and school ...
works for me ... somebody correct me if I'm wrong though

another thing that you can do is make a quick script to copy the dns servers to resolv.conf
I've had to do that before too...

Hope you get your prob sorted out; one way or another.

#4 2007-12-20 22:06:37

mezoko
Website

Well I noticed that resolv.conf get written when I'm at home, but when I'm at school it just get changed. I'm going to check out /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd and see if I can find anything

#5 2008-01-03 13:23:44

macros78

Hi, did you find something? I think I have the same problem as you, I need to update /etc/resolv.conf by hand when I change the network. I have 3 wifi networks, same essid same router same settings, but in one of them I have to change the nameserver.

When I used netwok manager it was allright. But if I use netcfg or wicd I have same problem as you.

#6 2008-02-16 12:12:11

senjin
Website

In my case wicd doesn't update resolf.conf both when I use dhcp and when I write dns ip manually (in wicd). I don't know how to fix it.

#7 2008-02-18 22:02:49

nawcom

I had the same issue with slackware, and the reason dhclient doesnt modify the resolv.conf is because dhcpcd is set up by default to deal with it, not dhclient. My guess is Arch also still uses dhcpcd for modifying resolv.conf. i probably could of set up a dhclient-script to take control, but i just needed the fix fast so I added dhcpcd to the list of programs that wicd checks for.

http://www.nawcom.com/files/slack/networking.py

All I did was i replaced "dhclient" with "dhcpcd" in the run and kill commands and replaced dhclient's command "ip route flush dev" with dhcpcd's "route del dev" for the wired and wireless setup..

the wicd package for slackware just untars to /opt/wicd; my guess is the Arch package is the same. just replace networking.py with the new one in /opt/wicd, and just to be safe i deleted the bytecode file of it, networking.pyc, but that is optional.

Oh wells, it fixed my issue, let's up this will help you guys out.

Last edited by nawcom (2008-02-19 02:23:46)

#8 2008-02-23 15:12:18

natern

I'm having this problem too. Any time I use my school's network, it overwrites my resolv.conf and for some reason when I connect from home, i doesn't get updated/rewritten so I have to manually change it back to my home nameservers. Thanks for any help.

#9 2008-02-24 22:35:47

tuxce
Website

dhclient need to have both domain name and dns servers to update /etc/resolv.conf
your dhcp server at home doesn't seem to send all parameters

#10 2008-03-07 23:48:55

cromo

I am having the same problem as senjin. Is there any solution to this?

#11 2008-03-14 17:13:54

senjin
Website

I have switched to netcfg2 + archassistant. It works properly without editing *any* configuration files (except of adding netcfg to rc.conf and starting archassistant on boot of course). It works well with wired and wireless networks, both with static ip or dhcp.

There are 2 drawbacks:
1. archassistant is kde application... but I have no problem with it under xfce
2. archassistant needs sudo to run properly - but I can live with it

edit: oops, last edit I deleted the previous one... I think I was complaining about wicd... anyway, I'm satisfied with netcfg and archassistant

Last edited by senjin (2008-04-11 12:25:38)

#12 2009-01-29 12:22:18

filter_ua

Hi,

I had the same problem and solution was to change DHCP external client in the wicd configuration.
As of Wicd version 1.5.8 goto Prefereces -> External Programs (TAB) and change to dhcpcd

#13 2010-03-04 19:57:56

u_kapaley

Hi all,
I was looking around for a solution to this problem and found some useful stuff here
I use a distro which not many will approve of here which is kubuntu
But i did  solve the problem
(on my system)Its just that the /etc/resolv.conf should be a symlink to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf
so its just that /etc/resolv.conf is trying to take control which it was able to do when networkmanager was present but not anymore
Hope it helps
I dunno much about arch....

Board footer