You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-31 16:09:29

holydhaliwal

No sound in arch linux (tried all fixes i know of)

Hey guys im having trouble getting my sound to work in arch. I am using an onboard sound card, ac'97. The motherboard is an asus a8n-sli premium and in modprobe.conf it recognizes it as snd-intel8x0. I know a lot of people seem to have this problem fairly often, however i have followed they're posts and fixes but none seem to work for me. I've unmuted pcm, masterm and master in alsamixer, and im pretty sure its not the headphone jack sense issue because i dont even have that option in my alsamixer. I've also tried running alsaconf and that still doesn't fix the problem. I've also tried adding "options snd-NAME-OF-MODULE ac97_quirk=0" to the end of my modprobe.conf as suggested in the alsa wiki but that didn't work either. I know my soundcard isn't broken because i have a seperate partition with windows on it and the sound works just fine. Also my friend has the exact same mobo as me and is not having any trouble with his arch installation whatsoever. (we both installed off the same disk)

This is what my modprobe.conf looks like:

# /etc/modprobe.conf (for v2.6 kernels)
#
alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.15 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
options snd-intel8x0 ac97_quirk=0

The daemons in my rc.conf:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond slim alsa)

And my modules in rc.conf:

MODULES=(8139cp 8139too forcedeth mii sk98lin skge slhc ac97_bus snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-seq-oss snd-seq-device snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-rawmidi snd-timer snd snd-mpu401-uart snd-mpu401 snd-ac97-codec snd-intel8x0 soundcore)

Im not sure if you guys would need anymore information to help me if so just ask and i'll provided them asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this problem is bugging me to the extremes. Thanks in advance.

#2 2007-12-31 16:12:50

elliott

Re: No sound in arch linux (tried all fixes i know of)

Are you a member of the 'audio' group?

#3 2007-12-31 16:38:53

Mikko777

-remove all crap from modprobe.conf
-remove all crap from modules section, let udev autoload all modules
-run alsaconf, and then alsactl store, keep alsa in daemons line.
-add user to audio group

That should be all that is needed for the hardware part.

-make /etc/asound.conf for dmix and set the used output correctly HW0,0...3 and so on. for either digital or analog output.

-reboot just in case.

If you've done all that then you might have bigger problems. smile

#4 2007-12-31 17:02:44

Agent69

elliott wrote:

Are you a member of the 'audio' group?

That one got me the other day. It's a simple thing but I totally forgot about it.

#5 2007-12-31 23:18:01

holydhaliwal

Sorry i was at work, Yes i am a member of the audio group, Mikko777 could you explain to me on how to execute those steps, i dont really understand what crap it is im suposed to take out and what i should leave in, also i dont know what udev is.

#6 2008-01-01 05:42:41

abstracity

holydhaliwal, If you look at your '/etc/modprobe.conf' file you will see lines that indicate code generated with "ALSACONF," which is the name of the application that is run with the "alsaconf" command.  A little further down on "Mikko777" suggested procedure, he advised to "run alsaconf".  In other words, he thinks that maybe something weird happened during all the audio-fixing you had been trying, and maybe by clearing everything out that "ALSACONF" had saved, you can start from afresh and type in the command he thinks you will have the most success with, which is "/usr/sbin/alsaconf".  So basically, extending from Mikko's brief explanation, delete the following from your '/etc/modprobe.conf' file:

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.15 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
options snd-intel8x0 ac97_quirk=0

In the next step, he suggests allowing udev to load all the sound modules automatically instead of manually telling it to do so.  To do this, open up '/etc/rc.conf' and delete the names of all the sound modules from the "MODULES" line.  Maybe all of these:

ac97_bus snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-seq-oss snd-seq-device snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-rawmidi snd-timer snd snd-mpu401-uart snd-mpu401 snd-ac97-codec snd-intel8x0 soundcore

You may have to look up any other modules you are not familiar with in order to deduce which ones are which.  By doing this, you allow udev to attempt to auto-load the deleted modules.

Next, run "/usr/sbin/alsaconf" like you did before and, after making sure everything is unmuted, run "/usr/sbin/alsactl store" so all your volume settings will be saved when "/etc/rc.d/alsa stop" is performed on shutdown and "/etc/rc.d/alsa start" is performed on boot.

Also, if your friend has audio working, then try copying all of his relevant configuration files onto your setup.

Without error there can be no brilliancy. ― Emanuel Lasker

#7 2008-03-01 09:59:29

krazybastid

snd-intel8x0 should be at the beginning of modules

#8 2008-03-22 21:15:40

Acetoacidophilum

Mikko777 - you the best!!!!

"-remove all crap from modprobe.conf
-remove all crap from modules section, let udev autoload all modules
-run alsaconf, and then alsactl store, keep alsa in daemons line.
-add user to audio group
That should be all that is needed for the hardware part.
-make /etc/asound.conf for dmix and set the used output correctly HW0,0...3 and so on. for either digital or analog output.
-reboot just in case."

it works!!!!

Board footer