You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-12 08:54:44

dr_te_z

IBM DB2 9.5 Express-C

Hai,
I've just downloaded and installed the latest DB2 on my new T61 laptop. As arch is not a (IBM) supported platform I had to take some hurdles and I want to share them here:
The "db2setup"  expects some basic things (awk pwd) to exist in "/usr/bin", so you must edit that script to set things straight.
DB2 expects an 32-bit version of libstd5++ and the libaio lib present. I installed the 'normal'  version of libstd5++ and started my wrestle with libaio. It seems that libaio is present in the AUR but referes to an old version. I battled the script for half an hour (trying this/trying that) and decided that, although using arch, I will never become a real archer, because I downloaded the tar.gz and did a "make install" as root. shame on me

After this db2 installed like a charm and does not seem to suffer form the absence of the 32-bit verision of libstd5++.

I saw that my "oracle-brothers-in-arms" also suffered form the absence of libaio. Will it be a part of the standard arch soon?

Somewhere between "too small" and "too large" lies the size that is just right.
- Scott Hayes

#2 2008-01-17 12:06:30

dr_te_z

Re: IBM DB2 9.5 Express-C

dr_te_z wrote:

so you must edit that script to set things straight

That's bad advice. Next time I will create soft-links from "/bin/bla_bla" to "/usr/bibn/bla_bla:  and leave the 3ef party-script intact.

- Scott Hayes

#3 2008-02-13 06:49:57

dr_te_z

WoW, is this normal? I have to modify my "/etc/services" but now I see that after a kernel-upgrade my changes are gone! A new version of this file replaced the original one. I must re-do my changes. Is there a way to prevent this?

[grumpy]
This is exactly why I turnded my back on SuSE. I do not like distro's which do not respect the hand-made modification en the /etc system.
[/grumpy]

- Scott Hayes

#4 2008-02-13 08:15:11

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

An update of the filesystem package overwrote your changes.  Submit a bug report to have the /etc/services file added to the backup array.

Board footer