You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-13 22:19:59

skottish
Forum Fellow

The Quasi-Official Thank You Thread

Sadly, it's too easy to overlook the kindness and generosity of others. I'm aware of this and yet sometimes it's still elusive to me. This is why I'm starting the quasi-official thank you to everyone thread.

To all of the Arch developers: This is by far the best disto I've ever used and can't imagine that somewhere there's something better. I thank all of you for your hard work. I thank you for a forum to allow me to learn Linux and to help others that may need help. And, I think it's very cool that quite a few of you come into the forums to answer questions, ask for help, and generally "hang out".

To all of the people that write the software that I use: The title says it all. All of you are awesome. Thanks for teaching me that there's a choice.

(As a side note, some of the developers of this software are here in this forum; Although, they rarely make it known. Even one Enlightenment dev is sighting Arch's wiki as being what they want their setup to be! Lurker!!!)

To the submitters/developers of the stuff in AUR/Community: Cool! Everyone at takhis... Cool! stonecrest, you are Sonata, right? Cool! predatorfreak for setting my up with x264-svn and ffmpeg-svn. Cool! djclue for all of the help with WengoPhone. Cool! eyolf for "convincing" me that LaTeX is the best. Cool! Firmicus for TexLive. Cool! There's others, but you get the point.

To all of the Arch users: Thank you very much for your patience, your knowledge, and your will to help. This is truly a community, and it's you that makes it happen. Because of you I've upgraded from a Linux idiot to a Linux fool. I'm getting better!

Excuse me... I have to run off and wipe my eyes and blow my nose.

#2 2008-01-13 23:48:02

peets
Website

Re: The Quasi-Official Thank You Thread

Yes, those thanks are well deserved. Let me also say thank you to all. Good initiative skottish!

#3 2008-01-13 23:57:59

gunnihinn

Thank you Arch developers, for me you've made using Linux truly fun.

#4 2008-01-14 00:19:52

quad3d@work
Website

gunnihinn wrote:

Thank you Arch developers, for me you've made using Linux truly fun.

I second that!

#5 2008-01-14 00:48:40

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Skottish has said a mouthful, but I would also like to say: Thanks to the entire community for making it so possible to contribute. Most other wikis are kept locked down pretty tightly, but  the Arch community has established an environment which welcomes such contributions, and that means a lot to me.

#6 2008-01-14 01:22:34

lilsirecho
Veteran

Ditto ditto ditoo dito!!!!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#7 2008-01-14 01:46:33

lucke

Yay for community!

#8 2008-01-14 02:17:41

clarence

Given how some distro communitys conduct themselves we should consider ourselves very lucky indeed.

Cheers to the entire community!

fck art, lets dance.

#9 2008-01-14 04:24:03

theringmaster
Website

yeah...Big handshakes to all of the devs and users. You guys made me a geek...lol.

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#10 2008-01-14 05:13:55

3nd3r
Website

I am in 100% agreement!  You all ROCK!

#11 2008-01-14 08:42:07

ruscook
Website

What can I say the guys have already said it!  This is a great, fast, fun distro - and the first where I've really tried KDE (thanks kdemod). I run 5 machines with Arc on (2 are still dual boot) and it's much better than ubuntu.

Thanks to all the devs, admins, mods, tech writers and anyone else who contributes to the overall community.

Russ

#12 2008-01-14 09:27:11

zenlord
Website

Thanks @all for teaching me about linux. I hope I will be as useful to this community as I can be on another (hardware- and windows-) forum I frequent. I'm convinced that this feeling is the product of the magnificent environment around here: from lurkers to users to contributors to devs: all sharing and spreading the virus...

Zl.

#13 2008-01-15 18:10:21

Caspian

Some things just can't be said enough and this is one of them. Thank you guys for this great distro. I've been using gentoo, slackware and debian but arch is for sure my all time favorite and will stay for a long time i hope. And the community is just so helpful, polite and welcoming. Thank you all for this wonderful experience.

#14 2008-01-15 20:33:18

Raisuli

Thanks to everyone who's helping to make this the best distro possible. You're doing a great job!

#15 2008-01-15 21:18:10

Wilson Phillips

I too, would like to express my thanks to all involved. I came here to learn and grow. This is a great place for that. The members are helpful and I have not seen the first black eye or bloody nose. Everyone just seems to get along well. I am glad to be a part of it.

Guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack, or children under 5.

#16 2008-01-15 21:28:08

X/ax
Website

Even though the initial post sounded a bit religion (Which I am not) I think a thank you is indeed in place.
To all very elite programmers out there that have done their job in making arch a successful linux distro the way it is now. And for your ongoing work, even more of a thanks!!

Next to that, thanks for the support given every day, be it here on the forum, or in the irc channel (Or in a classroom or workspace where someone has a problem), all of those should be thanked too. Thanks a lot guys/women, you're really doing a good job (despite of what others might, or might not, say)

My coding blog (or an attempt at it)
Archer start page (or an attempt at it)

#17 2008-01-16 03:34:07

JTD

I too would like to say thanks to the developers for all their hard work and time for such a fun distro.
I've learnt tons and will continue to learn tons with the help of the very knowledgeable and friendly forums here.

jtd

#18 2008-01-19 02:46:34

Phrodo_00
Website

I too would like to thank everyone, not just the developers, that deserve special thanks nevertheless, but also at all the people that give their time so I can enjoy linux, from the kernel hackers to the gnome developers and the kde documentation writers. Of course, I'll keep trying to keep us rolling by doing whatever I can do well enough to do so smile (those where a lot of 'do's ain't it?)

#19 2008-01-19 02:57:35

underpenguin

I'll add my two cents:

The arch community is great, the forum is incredibly helpful, has a small-community-feel which I love, and best of all, is frequented by the devs. I think that having the head developers as an integral part of the support community is really fantastic. Phrakture himself has solved several of my problems personally, and I don't think there are too many other distros for which the lead dev. addresses users' issues on the forum.

I feel like the arch philosophy and community really separates Arch from other distro's I have experience with, and I think I'll be around for a while smile

#20 2008-01-19 08:34:45

floke

+ 1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

Thanks and thanks again.
Arch and its community really are the best I've ever seen.

#21 2008-01-19 12:08:39

Izuil

Good initiative smile

Thanks to the community and all developers! smile

#22 2008-01-19 14:18:50

drf

The best way I could introduce myself here: I'm using Arch for just a week, I'm already in love. Thanks for creating a distro that always reflects the will of the user!!

#23 2008-01-19 15:47:37

freakcode
Website

skottish, good initiative.

Want to send my respect to everyone involved on Arch too. You all rock, and you know it.

Now raise a beer (or some orange juice for those who don't drink) and shout "Hooray"! smile

#24 2008-01-19 21:30:38

Zer0

I want to thank all the Arch devs, TU's, forum mods, forum helpers, wiki writters, AUR contributers, all the people in the IRC channels, web developers, artists, 3rd party devs (kdemod etc..), people hosting and setting up repo, download, and torrent mirrors, people helping with bugs (reporting and fixing), Judd for founding Arch, phrakature for filling his shoes nicely.. In no particular order!

Most importantly I would like the thank the main people of Arch for keeping the various parts of the community very open so that we can give back without too much fuss..  For example.. the Wiki and AUR.  This way when users like me feel Arch as helped them so much, we can easily give back to the community without having to become someone "important" first.

#25 2008-01-20 12:27:29

vik

I've used Linux on and off for about a decade.  Most of the time, I would poke my head in, try the flavor-of-the-month distro, find it still didn't do what I want and return to Windows.  I used Arch back in 2005 and while it was the best of the bunch as far as my preferences, I felt it had a way to go. 

I came back just a few weeks ago and almost everything has matured; it's mostly do to the community and the arch developers and maintainers. 

Wiki:  By far the best community wiki for a linux distro (beats Ubuntu and Gento) and couldn't have gotten far without it.  Almost all of my questions were answered without even having to post. I've found similar issues in the forums and people responding with solutions, and I think I only posted a problem once or twice and both times it was one of those "I should have known better." 

Tools: pacman is simple to use and robust.  The community AUR is great; maintainers keep all the software up-to-date and I don't have to wait for official arch packages for even-more-bleeding-edge packages like I did with Ubuntu.  Best thing is everything from AUR is compiled without me having to edit cflags or any other gentoo crap (no offense to gentoo users, but you guys are ricers, just admit it). 

Performance:  Compiz on Ubuntu with my 7950GTX was still noticeably sluggish: unacceptable.  Arch Linux compiz is extremely responsive so I can actually keep all the bells and whistles on.  There was a debate over at the Ubuntu forums awhile back as to why Arch is faster, whatever it is (whether it's because of march=i686 is controversial), it works.

Board footer