You are not logged in.

#76 2009-04-14 00:30:35

markp1989

Re: The Quasi-Official Thank You Thread

thankyou to all devs, testers and users, and every one else who has helped make arch what it is !

and thankyou to the op, for giving me a place to air this .

Last edited by markp1989 (2009-04-14 00:33:07)

Desktop: E8400@4ghz - DFI Lanparty JR P45-T2RS - 4gb ddr2 800 - 30gb OCZ Vertex - Geforce 8800 GTS - 2*19" LCD
Server/Media Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX I-E - E5200 - 4gb Ram - 2* ecogreen F2 1.5tb - 1* wd green 500gb - PicoPSU 150xt - rtorrent - xbmc - ipazzport remote - 42" LCD

#77 2009-04-19 12:29:42

gsmani.vpm

Thanks for the developers and the community and all the teams for providing such a great distro!! I started with PCLinuxOS for the linux world. I always was hesitant giving archlinux a try after reading the reviews. But after giving a try myself I see it not all that difficult getting setup with archlinux especially with the excellent document the community provides!! and after using it for about 3 months now, I can see that more users had the same experience as me. smile It is well thought out and the good thing is that it makes a lot of things much easier. Looking at the bigger picture, though other distros make things easier for PC users like me to migrate, I guess once things got familiar, this is where the world is going to be.. wink just my opinion and dont want start any flame wars. Thanks again for providing Arch & pacman.

--
edit
----
oops apologize revoking an older thread... sad just noticed it is older than 6 months. Sorry if it offends anybody.

Last edited by gsmani.vpm (2009-04-19 13:01:22)

#78 2009-04-28 06:02:43

toad
Website

It's been said often enough before, but here goes again: thanks for getting together and creating this bang up to date, rolling release, arse kicking, stable, extremely well documented, easy to use, very customizable and lean creature called Arch!

There is only one feature missing: the overall general hold-my-hand, slow-to-boot, we-NEED-that-daemon kind of thing. And well done for keeping it out.

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#79 2009-04-29 20:05:38

Peasantoid
Website

I could never have truly learned about the Linux internals without Arch. Much <3!

#80 2009-04-30 03:10:16

semeion

Arch Linux is the best linux distro in the world!!!!!

Thanks for all!!!

Great Work!!!!

#81 2009-05-15 09:50:17

ivande

Just adding to the list here, but many thanks to the devs, the community, the guys who keep the wiki up to date, etc. Arch is by far the best distro I've used, and I'm surely going to stick with it for a long time !

#82 2009-05-15 16:13:07

Isomorphism

The features of a simple-to-configure OS, a wiki with amazingly succinct explanations and having the most amicable forum are undeniably the reasons why I love Arch...All this was possible due to the entire community, especially the arch "officials"(devs, mods etc).
I thank the entire community for making Arch such a wonderful distro big_smile

Last edited by Isomorphism (2009-05-15 16:13:33)

#83 2009-06-23 15:59:24

akephalos

Thanks guys! (devs, community and users - in any order)
But screw you! (I almost forgot how to install and configure my Linux machine because of Arch)

#84 2009-07-04 19:27:19

XFire

Just like to thank all those involved for my first year and a bit of Linuxing and how relatively painless it has been.

So thank you, a great deal Arch people.

There is a difference between bleeding [edge] and haemorrhaging. - Allan

#85 2009-07-07 08:16:25

blazingbazooka

Many thanks to the devs!

Also thanks to all those who edit and keep the wiki up to date. I really have no idea where i'd be without it :X

#86 2009-07-17 18:39:43

slenkar

thanks for arch linux, I have a much faster system than when I was using Xubuntu

#87 2009-07-21 03:06:27

hwkiller

I actually signed up JUST to express my gratitude!

I started on ubuntu, as everyone does nowadays, but it was just so bloody simple, I knew I wasn't learning anything. So I asked someone for a very manual linux distro, and he said "Arch or slackware."

I went with Arch, obviously.  It was pretty overwhelming at first to a total newbie, but now I'm definitely above average because of having to manually configure the system.  Sure, I may not build too many things from source (not that I don't know how, it just never gives as many features as getting it from a repo), but in Arch, one has got to manually configure most things.  From hours of googling on configuring, reading manuals, and looking up what obscure acronyms and terminology means and does, I've learned more than most of my friends could ever dream to on linux.  It's great! 

Pacman is an amazing package manager; I definitely prefer it over aptitude, AND I have fallen for yaourt. 

I hereby sincerely thank the Arch team for offering such a great clean-cut, manually configurable linux distro with fantastic documentation, as well as the community and staff who compiles all of the packages for the AUR and core/extra/community. big_smile
I soon want to learn exactly how to make a package for pacman so that I could help contribute, though it doesn't seem too hard from skimming manuals.

Soon I will wind up digging into the pkgbuilding in more depth, but for now: THANK you for making arch amazing.  It's being used more than my vista install, which is being dual-booted on this laptop.

I don't know how the staff does all of it, how they have the patience for updating and ensuring that arch is as it is now.  Good work!
The only thing I'm worried about is the future of package management.  I agree with many others that for desktop linux to truly succeed, it needs a standardized package format (.pkg, .deb, .rpm) across all platforms, that all distro-makers utilize.  However, with that I worry that .pkg would not make it, and pacman would need a big fat rewrite. tongue

Regardless, I thank you again!

Last edited by hwkiller (2009-07-21 03:08:40)

#88 2009-07-21 12:00:39

aymara
Website

I'm using Arch for about 2 years now. At first i was a little shy, and tried don't ask stupid questions... but later i noticed that every one here wants to help to those that doesn't know everything (even very basic questions!).

I want to thank every one who helped me and others to love linux, and particulary Arch. I can't imagine my days without pacman tongue

http://archlinux.me/aymara/ ----> Newbie forever...  ¬¬

#89 2009-07-21 17:28:55

lambchops468

thanks for the greatest distro!

#90 2009-07-21 18:34:29

majiq

As I boasted on #archlinux-offtopic, having used Arch gave me the knowledge to walk into my school's Linux lab, unplug a monitor from one computer and plug it into another (they all have dual-head cards), and tinker to get dual-screened Xinerama working within ten minutes - without root.

This is the power of not relying on graphical and building from the bottom up, knowing about the config files and setups. Thanks arch-devs and community members.

#91 2009-07-22 15:29:45

fh

Thanks to all Arch developers, wiki authors and Archers on the forums,! I  have been using Arch for only about two weeks and am really happy. I have a number of small issues, but I think many of them are related to the fact that I am using xfce for the first time (Ubuntu/Gnome earlier).

And I am learning a lot; yesterday I got my laptop touchpad scroll and tap working by just following wiki instructions about touchpad synaptics :--) And I thought earlier that this is some serious hardware recognition issue and it would be really unlikely that I would find help about it.

--Faraz Hussain.

Last edited by fh (2009-07-22 15:30:50)

#92 2009-07-23 02:58:13

TomWitko
Website

Thanks a bunch now I have a new toy to play with.

Ummm good work but the wiki makes installing look harder than it actually is lol.

tux-linux-t-shirt.com

#93 2009-07-31 02:01:59

chender
Website

I agree with the sentiment of this thread.  I am a linux convert since 2007, after 15 frustrating years of windows in corporate land.   After using others, mainly Ubuntu, which is a great starter, I wanted to get more control over what was installed, and just have running what I needed.  I look at "top" a lot and "uptime".  The comparison of the processor usage and number of running tasks is dramatically less in Arch, and that is what I appreciate.   I can have just the things I need and not the stuff I don't.   I might add pacman is outstanding in terms of ease of use, and management of dependencies. 

Thank you to all the people who make this distro work as well as it does, and wiki.archlinux.org is outstanding.  The Beginnners Guide was my bible getting up and running.

$ dmesg | grep Lenovo
thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo ThinkPad X60s, model 1702HFU

--
thinkpad X60s [t400s coming soon] | archlinux i686 | xmonad | dmenu |

#94 2009-08-05 19:19:43

Curly Wurly

Thank you very much Arch Developers smile.

Life in Linux: Ubuntu 8.10 > Mint 6 > Debian > Backtrack 3 > Arch Linux.

#95 2009-08-06 09:14:01

hrobeers

Thanks for splitting kde!
I used openbox for a long time, with kdemod installed to use from time to time.
Now I use the splitted kde! And it's weird that it looks like my pc is getting faster and faster!
I used openbox because I hated waiting for apps, now kde is almost as fast (ok it's stripped down, but still is kde).

Thank you guys for the first OS, I've ever tried, that get's faster over time!

BTW: my freshly booted kde uses only 95mb ram big_smile? There was a time that my openbox environment used more!

#96 2009-08-11 09:53:10

Leye

I've been using Archlinux for some time now, and lurked in the board every now and then, I think now it's the time that I really say Thank you to everyone that makes Archlinux this best Linux distro. Thank you to all the developers, TUs, and so on, thanks to the whole Arch community. smile

Before Arch, I hopped from distro to distro, always finding something that I don't like. First I used (X)Ubuntu, then Debian and Fedora, that was when I only had my Apple iBook G4 with a PowerPC. I couldn't use Arch then, but I wanted to try Archlinux PPC, even with success. Now that I have x86 notebooks, the first distribution I installed was Archlinux. After some time, I tried Foresight Linux and I was charmed because I have to admit that I'm a GNOME lover. There's something though that Archlinux taught me: that simplicity is beautiful, and even if Foresight Linux is a nice distro, it's nothing in comparison to the great joy that I have with Archlinux.

I just want to express my thankfulness to Archlinux, and please keep up the good work. From now on I'll try to give something back to the community that always had the time and sympathy to help me. I hope I'll also be part of this great community. smile

Hands down. big_smile

(Next goal: Install CRUX and try go get the latest GNOME running on it. big_smile)

#97 2009-08-11 10:40:18

dezza

Thanks alot for not making PKGBUILDs an art like Gentoo ebuilds.

#98 2009-08-30 12:49:09

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Just finished updating an old laptop I had not used in two years.  After the update, everything still worked.  3D, sound, wifi, frequency scaling.  Some things worked better, like wpa_supplicant.

The devs are awesome.

#99 2009-09-01 00:19:32

AlexFera

Big thank you to everyone involved!

#100 2009-09-01 05:36:11

ewaller
Administrator

Thanks to all of those involved in the server work this weekend.  I missed Arch while it was gone, but I thought the football foul was hilarious.

Anyway, I appreciate the effort to keep the system secure.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer