You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-13 02:44:06

Breakage
Website

Xfce UK Keymap problem

Hey, I'm having a problem with keys in Xfce everything's fine in bash and X, but in Xfce keys aren't in the right place like @ # etc. Anyone know how to fix it?

Here's my info's:

LOCALE="en_GB.utf8"
HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"
TIMEZONE="Europe/London"
KEYMAP="uk"
CONSOLEFONT="default8x16"
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"

#2 2008-02-13 03:29:13

wyvern

Re: Xfce UK Keymap problem

Hi,

Your problem is that you haven't actually got the keymap set up in X. You need to specify the settings in a different file for that.

I use a standard laptop/keyboard layout, and this is what works for me. Here's the relevant part for your '/etc/X11/xorg.conf':-

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver        "kbd"
    Option        "CoreKeyboard"
    Option        "XkbRules"    "xorg"
    Option        "XkbModel"    "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout"    "gb"
    Option        "XkbOptions"    "altwin:meta_win,lv3:ralt_switch"
EndSection

The part with 'lv3:ralt_switch' will give you the right alt's ability to create the '€' sign, for example.

Hope This Helps smile

Last edited by wyvern (2008-02-13 03:38:30)

#3 2008-02-13 04:06:38

Breakage
Website

Ahh thanks completely forgot about xorg.conf oops.
This is the first Arch install and I noticed after installing the nvidia driver that /X11/xorg.conf is now /X11/XF86Config, I suppose there the same right? Do you know if there is any difference between the two? The layout looks the same.

Also cheers for this line:

Option        "XkbOptions"    "altwin:meta_win,lv3:ralt_switch"

Never new about that. big_smile

Last edited by Breakage (2008-02-13 04:13:08)

#4 2008-02-15 16:25:47

wyvern

Sorry I took so long to reply - been a little busy lately sad

As far as I know, you can safely change the XF86Config to xorg.conf - that was the old naming convention before we switched from XFree86 to Xorg. Just check some of the headings and options - I know one or two parts (like the 'kbd' section, for instance) changed the wording slightly in the switch. I presume it's a quirk of the NVIDIA drivers that they still use the older naming convention... (I have never used the NVIDIA drivers, I use ATI sadly).

And as for the 'lv3:ralt_switch' I had to google far and wide for that one, once I realised some months ago that I couldn't use my € key, and a few other combinations I relied upon. At least it's been added to the wiki now big_smile

Speaking of the wiki, the sections in there might give you further information on the NVIDIA driver and it's odd config.

Have fun!

#5 2008-02-16 01:09:17

Breakage
Website

wyvern wrote:

Sorry I took so long to reply - been a little busy lately sad

No probs smile

As far as I know, you can safely change the XF86Config to xorg.conf - that was the old naming convention before we switched from XFree86 to Xorg. Just check some of the headings and options - I know one or two parts (like the 'kbd' section, for instance) changed the wording slightly in the switch. I presume it's a quirk of the NVIDIA drivers that they still use the older naming convention... (I have never used the NVIDIA drivers, I use ATI sadly).

Checked though the config at the headings etc and it looked ok compared to my old xorg.conf backup from an old distro, then cp'd XF86Config to a save place and then renamed it or xorg.conf and restarted X everything worked fine and is smooth! smile

Also check over /var/log/Xorg.0.log and all is fine no (WW) or (EE)'s smile

Thanks again for the help, just about to read though the Nvidia wiki.

Last edited by Breakage (2008-02-16 01:09:41)

Board footer