You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-13 21:35:17

godane
Website

arch-live cd release (20080409)

This is a new topic forum so all the new releases can go here.

Arch-live is a modular live cd/usb system based on a slax/zenlive like modular design. The goal of the project is to make a live system that will be easier to update then the current arch live system. The current live system are one big squashfs file with 2 or 3 smaller files for some change files. This is not a good modular design since you can't add a program without compressing the whole system again.   

I also want the arch kernel to be used but the initrd/initrramfs needs to be a ext2 gzip file for the linux-live scripts to work. Ext2 is not build-in the kernel so the only way to do it is somehow make the arch initramfs load the arch-live initramfs has root filesystem. So if someone can help with me making the linux-live scripts more arch initramfs compatible that would be great.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/chrisx/

This released is 20080213. I have change the some things.

* linux-live update to 6.2.0 with my custom boot options
* update firefox, mysql
* using slax kernel-2.6.24 and clipped source for module building (devices are /dev/hd* now)
* add devtools to 02-devel module
* add mplayer-plugin
* subversion was droped by mistake. Was going to be add to modules folder
* 08-xlibs module is only need for programs in the modules folder

for versions before 20080220:
user: root
pass: ZenLive

20080220 and greater:
user: ArchLinux

I hope this helps everyone.

Last edited by godane (2008-04-10 15:41:26)

I'm working on a live cds based on Archlinux. http://godane.wordpress.com/

#2 2008-02-15 13:02:56

godane
Website

Re: arch-live cd release (20080409)

i change the topic header cause new one is really try my live distro out.

I hope this will help people.

#3 2008-02-18 23:28:16

godane
Website

Does anyone want a modular live cd for archlinux? sad I hope people will reply for some ideas of what to do with it.

I hope someone will like my ideas for a livecd.

#4 2008-02-19 06:33:19

gradgrind

Hi godane,

I think you might need a little (well, actually, a lot) of patience on this one. If you enjoy working on the project, keep at it, make sure people know about the latest developments, write documentation for it, how it works, its benefits, suggestions for ways of using it. Then maybe one day someone will think, "Hey, wasn't there that modular live cd thingy? That could be just what I need." And then another one might do the same.

Bear in mind that Arch still has a relatively small user base, and only a small fraction of those will see any need for a live cd. Some of those that do will be happy with the existing options (it depends on what they want the thing for), but perhaps gradually - especially if it is clear what the advantages of a modular system like yours are - interest might grow.

Tomas M. has been working on SLAX for ages now, and even I have been working on larch for more than two years. Maybe knoppix was an overnight sensation (though I doubt even that), but in general these things take time. I started larch because it was something I wanted to have for my own use, because it was something that was not yet available for Arch (aside from archie, which was slightly different in concept and suffering from stuttering development) and also because I wanted to learn how such a thing works. It is of course great when other people start to get interested, but that takes time ...

I have always liked this modular approach to live media, so I think it's great that you're having a go at it, but at the moment I don't really have a need for it. For me the creation of the modules takes it too far away from standard Arch - more difficult to maintain, etc. I think it might be easier to base it on a distribution that is already modular in concept (gobo springs to mind), but of course Arch has other advantages.

Well, good luck anyway.

#5 2008-02-19 07:35:58

tami
Website

Hi godane,
Let's take it this way - I'm probably not the right person to help you with the project - I am just a Linux user.

But I'm very interested in this kind of ideas you have. The reason is simple - periodically I am to use different machines in different "strange" places because of my work. And  I'm not always willing to carry the (often borrowed) laptop with me. Of various reasons. So, live CD's - and even better - live systems possible to boot from USB sticks are in the center of my interests. wink

I have also the question - and sorry if you were bothered with it earlier - but - have you tried to contact raymano - the developer behind FaunOS ( http://www.faunos.com/ ) ?

Perhaps "merging" your and his approach and "joining forces" could bring amazing results...? smile I was using FaunOS on USB stick for nearly 3 months - and shortly speaking - this saved me from using other operating systems. The only thing I missed there was the possibility to save the changes I made to the system while using it (such possibility theoretically exists - but I was probably too busy or too stupid to find out how to make it work... sad ). The other thing I would be very grateful for would be the possibility to install such, a bit tweaked, system from the USB stick - gosh, I even do not know if t is possible and not just a "layman" wishful thinking...

Sorry for such a long post - I would just let you know that that there are persons like me around - not having enough programming skills but appreciating very much efforts of persons like you! So - please - don't give up - be stubborn and persistent - and your project will suceed.

Best wishes and kind regards,
tami
PS. Right now I download your ISO and will try it out. Will also try to report, as well as I can with my limited knowledge, how it went here.

"Possession means worries and luggage bags one has to drag along." Little My wink

#6 2008-02-19 07:43:52

ibendiben

godane wrote:

I hope someone will like my ideas for a livecd.

I like them a lot, but I don't need it right now and don't have real time to give it a thorough try.
As I understand it, this project aims to be a customizable life-cd too? I mean, the feature of modules makes that easier right?
Is there going to be anything installer like? ... and what about session saving? This additions would make more people try it I guess... Or is this project ever just going to be a life (ok super modular and stuff) system?

#7 2008-02-19 09:07:20

tami
Website

OK - so as promised - I have ran your LiveCD - and for the first - I have to tell you - I am very impressed!
It ran without the glitches on the following system:

DATE: 02/19/08 08:30:43 AM   MACHINE NAME: arch-live
ETHERNET CARD: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 054c (rev a2)
CPU INFO: Qty=1 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3600+
VIDEO CARD: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 053b (rev a2)
AUDIO CONTROLLER: 
RAM INFO: 899892 kB

The small problems I encountered were - having to set my keyboard map manually (terminal), and of course - as usually on live system - wrong time zone - as I prefer to use English as the system language - but am definitely not in US now tongue - this is also easy to adjust in terminal - so not "a biggie". Everything else - sound, video, keyboard, mouse, internet - was working.

What's more - you managed to "squeeze" unbelievable amount of useful applications there (whole OpenOffice, all needed multimedia applications + Avidemux, Gimp, Inkscape, even - Blender etc etc) - I'm really impressed. The Live system is also snappy here - but bear in mind that it was built (by me! wink ) with Linux in mind.

I have only one question - why the system has to be ran as root? I tried my best to add user (following the suggestions from Arch Wiki) but - hmmm - I was not able neither to switch to this added user for longer than one command in terminal nor was I able to login to XFCE as created by me user... I probably miss something.

To the good sides again - I noticed you added ISO Master there - I am unfortunately not acquainted with the application - but first short glimpse made me  curious and if I will find the time I would find out more about it. Perhaps it could be of use to write a bit how to use it? AFAIR users could create their own ISO'es - perhaps even installable ones...?

Anyway - good work! As gradgrind and ibendiben said earlier here - a bit more information could help to spread the news around.

Thank you and... as said earlier don't give up!

tami

PS. If you are interested I have the errors log and dmesg from the short session I had with your work. Don't hesitate to ask some more specific questions - if you are interested in the "layman" perspective on your job.

EDIT: Stupid mistakes.

Last edited by tami (2008-02-19 09:08:34)

"Possession means worries and luggage bags one has to drag along." Little My wink

#8 2008-02-21 05:06:30

godane
Website

I have update it for today 20080220 now.

here is what was remove for size reason:
* openoffice + jre
* tuxguitar
* blender
* inkscape
* all the server modules
* all the game modules
* deluge is replace by transmission
* abiword and gajim are added in

I also changle the password for root too. This is so the password is not ZenLive since some people had a problem with that. The iso is now under 400mb. This is still a good desktop replacement. It now has more of a zenwalk "one application" idea. There is no need for multi-apps if there is one good one to get the job done. This is to make it easier for new users.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/chrisx/

user;root
pass;ArchLinux

I hope this helps everyone

#9 2008-02-21 08:22:23

ibendiben

Cool, are you working with some kind of tgz2lzm script? Is there an easy way of making modules? Can you keep those removed modules somewhere for people to add, if they'd like. Imho the removal of jre is a drawback, it's nice to be able to browse webpages via live-cd, java is used quite often....

I believe documenting now should be the first priority... I'd like to learn how I could customize arch-live and all, and see what I can do for it.
You can point to the slax or wolvix or whatever of those modular distribution forums every time but isn't this whole thing also arch-specific...
please add some more info... what you use, how we could use it.

-> great work, keep it up!

#10 2008-02-21 17:53:39

godane
Website

here is a link to zenedu docs:
http://wiki.zenwalk.org/index.php?title … enEdu_Live

I made arch-live with the same tech has zenedu. So most of it is document. This should help you with most of the questions. You will not be able to make modules out of packages yet like in ZenEdu by right-click on the package. I have script called arch2lzm. This will download the package then make a module out of it. It doesn't add deps in in the module. This is cause i don't want 80mb modules every time for a program thats not even 1mb. Must of the common deps are in the iso so its not has be of a deal yet. Ex: 'arch2lzm geany' will download geany to cache then install it to tmp folder and then make a module name geany.lzm

I hope this helps.

PS: Also i was the one that made the iso, kernel and the more modular design for ZenEdu. I made it use more modules cause it was time consuming to rebuild all the packages. So it just rebuild the modules that would more likely change. (just the base modules for the OS)

#11 2008-02-21 19:55:49

venky80

can you also make a USB installation like slax 6?

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

#12 2008-02-21 19:57:03

venky80

Also I was wondering if KDE mod can be used in this modular fashion?

#13 2008-02-21 22:35:53

ibendiben

godane wrote:

I have script called arch2lzm. This will download the package then make a module out of it. It doesn't add deps in in the module. This is cause i don't want 80mb modules every time for a program thats not even 1mb. Must of the common deps are in the iso so its not has be of a deal yet. Ex: 'arch2lzm geany' will download geany to cache then install it to tmp folder and then make a module name geany.lzm

I hope this helps.

PS: Also i was the one that made the iso, kernel and the more modular design for ZenEdu. I made it use more modules cause it was time consuming to rebuild all the packages. So it just rebuild the modules that would more likely change. (just the base modules for the OS)

So how about sharing that nifty script you have called arch2lzm hmm
I'm getting quite interested and would like to try for myself. What are your thoughts on adding an installer option? Why not? Would it be difficult?

#14 2008-02-21 23:08:29

godane
Website

The arch2lzm script is in the iso image alright.

#15 2008-02-22 19:03:00

tami
Website

Hi godane,
I just wanted to inform you that (after reading a bit - following the links you were so kind to attach) I managed to successfully install your LiveCD to USB-stick - I am actually writing from it wink.

Big thank you for the marvelous job of yours.

I am also interested in your modular approach - started to read how to create .lzm's - very interesting - but "one step at the time" - anyway - I would be trying to make some modules of my favorite applications in the near future.

...and one thing more - I think I was not understood. I have nothing against password ZenLive - although ArchLive is nice, too - the thing which bothers me is that I am logged in as a root by default... but perhaps it should be like this... Or I do not catch something...

Anyway - thank you once again and - have a nice weekend,

tami smile

#16 2008-02-22 21:29:32

venky80

can you create a slax 6 like usb install?

#17 2008-02-22 21:34:46

tami
Website

venky80 wrote:

can you create a slax 6 like usb install?

This is what I actually made wink

tami

#18 2008-02-23 00:05:40

venky80

could you share it..;)?

#19 2008-02-23 01:35:46

godane
Website

here is a more direct link then the last one on for USB booting:
http://wiki.zenwalk.org/index.php?title … ash_Memory

I hope this helps.

#20 2008-02-23 10:32:54

tami
Website

venky80 wrote:

could you share it..;)?

...I'm sorry to be late and not being more elaborate yesterday - being tired...
Anyway, here are the steps I took to made bootable USB stick (8 GB) out of godane LiveCD which I simply like very much smile :

1. Downloaded LiveCD (link above) and tarball for liveUSB from Slax page (link given above by godane - thank you!)
2. Burned the godane LiveCD - took a look inside how it is built.
3. Took a look inside the Slax tarball -> compered Slax'es pack with godane's -> there was one important script missing in the boot directory - bootinst.sh (information found on Slax page http://www.slax.org/documentation_install_slax.php )
4. So, I copied all from godane's directory to another one, then - I copied the script bootinst.sh from Slax tarball into boot directory - and generally speaking - this was all what was needed.
5. I formatted my USB stick (two 4 GB FAT 16 partitions - just in case... I need this stick to boot from many computers and... I need to carry some stuff on it to share it with Windows' folk). Here I was following steps given on ZenEdu page (link given above by godane)
6. Copied "pre-prepared compilation" of godane's creation with "inserted" script of Slax creator to the first partition of my USB stick. (Instructions on ZenEdu page).
7. "Navigated" to boot directory of USB stick and ran script ./bootinst.sh as a root. (It was "complaining" on missing some files - but those files are needed if you use other file systems then FAT 16 - you can ignore it).
8. Checked out if this is working - booted my computer from USB stick - it was working! smile Computer booted to the system created by godane.

Now - being  relatively new to Linux - I copied "just in case" also dos directory (from Slax tarball) to the boot directory of prepared LiveCD - I am not sure if it's needed... But - just to let you know.

There is one more very important thing I would like to underline here - godane's LiveCD is full of nice tool - take a look at devel directory -> you will find devel-20080213.tar.gz there - unpack it! smile You will find lots of nice tools there -> amongst other things, the script which will let you convert Arch packs to .lzm modules. I did not try it out yet - but my plan is to do so.

So - that was it - I hope it will help - sorry if:
- it seems too detailed - but I was trying to be helpful also for the persons on my level of "Linux developement"
- it seems too general - in this case - just ask! I will try to answer if I would be able to.

tami

#21 2008-02-24 13:34:48

stingray

I downloaded this last night and gave it a try. Very impressed!  But I have got to whats happening on my HP Pavilion dv5000 laptop.  What would be the best way to take a screenshot from within arch-live?

Another wier thing is happening on both laptops I've tried it on. (HP Pavilion and Dell Vostro 1000)  Being laptops, the numberpad is kept within the regular keys on the keyboard, and you need to use the [fn] function key to use it. But with this Arch-Live, the numberpad is on by default, and you have to use the [fn] key to use regular keys.  For example: Login: r66t Password: Arch35n4x.  So it took me awhile to figure out how to login.  This only happens in X, not if I [Ctrl][Alt][F1] for to a concel. There the keyboard worked correctly.

Other than that, I'm impressed and look forward to this project maturing!

Rick

#22 2008-02-25 22:11:46

godane
Website

I have updated arch-live. The usb scripts that are in slax are in arch-live now too.

Notes:
pass: ArchLinux

Changes:
* removed gajim module
* jre and deluge back
* Added virtualbox 1.5.4
* Added all slax files for cd layout with name changed to Arch-Live in them
* Added all slax usb scripts
* Added my boot codes to cheatcodes.txt
* Changed CDLABEL to ARCH-LIVE in make_iso.sh

I hope this helps everyone.

ps I linked http://sourceforge.net/projects/chrisx has my personal website now.

#23 2008-02-27 05:53:59

syan

This might be totally incorrect, but is it possible that the live cd has the package numlockx installed?

extra/numlockx 1.1-3
    Turns on the numlock key in X11

It sounds like this is what is happening, to me.  Then again, I've never made a live cd, so what do I know?

#24 2008-02-27 15:05:19

ezzetabi

Seems a great job, managed to make my usb stick a Archlinux box in about a minute (excluding download time, of course).
But I am missing where the documentation is... Sorry, where is it?

#25 2008-02-28 06:37:33

wolfden

I ran this and it's pretty slick.  Sound, Video, Networking all working great.  Lightening fast on my amd x2 5600+

Board footer