You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-13 23:38:49

KimTjik

XFCE4 headache - could this be solved more easily?

I'm using XFCE4 because it fits my needs, not because I need a lighter DE. Anyway I made a new install of Arch not expecting any trouble, but XFCE4 spoiled that... or what now could be viewed as the real issue, since I'm not sure myself.

I did get xorg to work well. No big deal on this machine since it's a desktop using a Nvidia 7600 GT card, hence I opted as usual for the proprietary drivers. I likewise installed XFCE4.

Problem: XFCE4 would not run, and after a couple of hours wasted, I found that it had nothing to do with anything else but a file permission obstacle of /tmp. As it was it was set to just give root permissions.

Since this can happen on a clean install: could this be corrected in the installation procedure? Is it a problem with XFCE4 or does it imply that there's a universal issue with wrong permissions set for /tmp? If nothing can be done, could it be added to the XFCE4 Wiki entry here at Arch, because it looks like the it's very difficult to find such information anywhere else?

Thanks for reading this!

#2 2008-02-14 00:06:25

arctica

Re: XFCE4 headache - could this be solved more easily?

KimTjik wrote:

Is it a problem with XFCE4 or does it imply that there's a universal issue with wrong permissions set for /tmp? If nothing can be done, could it be added to the XFCE4 Wiki entry here at Arch, because it looks like the it's very difficult to find such information anywhere else?

Thanks for reading this!

I think it is a problem with installation, not xfce4. I have arch + gnome, and it happened to me too. and I'm agree with you, it's not easy to find information about how to fix this.it's in the forum, but maybe it would be a good idea to include it on wiki

anywhere, http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43842

Last edited by arctica (2008-02-14 00:18:53)

#3 2008-02-14 02:09:31

tigrmesh
IRC Op

A fix is suggested in the bug tracker (flyspray):  http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9560?str … &closedto= see the comments section.  If you create a flyspray user, you can vote on it.

#4 2008-02-14 08:23:12

KimTjik

My bad. I searched but missed that bug report, just as the thread. I didn't search for the right key words, since I was thinking that it was a xorg and xfce4 problem. I didn't notice the permission issue until I had changed and fixed a lot of other things.

For clarity: I was using the ftp-installer, so it looks to be it.

Thanks

#5 2008-02-14 18:49:17

KimTjik

I noticed while correcting these matters that file permissions for a user's home folder is a mess as well. I added my vote for "FS#9560 - (ftp) installer doesn't cope with recent changes, and gives permission problems".

Unfortunate that my first experience with the ftp-installer gave me such problems.

Board footer