You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-22 16:41:53

quarK

[solved] Missing library: libg2c.so.0

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I dumped ubuntu and gave archlinux a (second) try, and up till now I am very pleased. smile As I need the root-system, I got it through AUR and it compiled, starts and works perfectly. No problems so far. smile

Now, there's a kind of Add-On called GEANT which needs the library libg2c.so.0. Unfortunately I couldn't find this library in any repository. As I understand it, libg2c.so.0 is part of an old gcc package g77 which has been replaced by gfortran in the gcc 4.x Series. So i tried to install gcc3 and gcc34, but it didn't solve my problem.

The exact error-message is

dlopen error: libg2c.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thanks for your suggestions!!

Yours,
daniel smile

Last edited by quarK (2008-02-23 11:25:58)

#2 2008-02-22 17:14:27

bender02

Re: [solved] Missing library: libg2c.so.0

Well, there's gcc3-g77 package in the AUR, but it some comments there indicate that it doesn't compile. You can try though.

By the looks of GEANT website, they have GEANT4 compiled/sources which should work with gcc4 - have you tried those?

#3 2008-02-22 18:05:33

quarK

By the looks of GEANT website, they have GEANT4 compiled/sources which should work with gcc4 - have you tried those?

Unfortunately that is not possible for me, as the geometry data and some other stuff we are using right now is written for geant3 and is not compatible to geant4. I find this quite annoying, but I can't change it. sad

Well, there's gcc3-g77 package in the AUR, but it some comments there indicate that it doesn't compile. You can try though.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried to compile, but it aborted stating "make: *** [bootstrap] Fehler 2" ("Fehler" is German for "error" as you might have guessed) smile

This may sound mighty stupid, but would it be possible, to get the needed library from somewhere else (e.g. another distribution) and simply copy it into the /lib/ directoy? hmm I'll try this tomorrow!

Last edited by quarK (2008-02-22 18:59:39)

#4 2008-02-22 19:40:10

bender02

Yes, it's possible... well... it depends. Worth a try. I'd try to get an old redhat g77 binary package (on geany site the downloads are for scientific linux = red hat).

Let me try to explain what kind of problems you might run into: the lib you need most probably depends on other libs. Since yours is quite outdated, it is probable that the libs on which yours depends are already at newer versions, and so not available on your system. You're going to have to get all those dependencies... etc.
But, it might quite well be that libg2c.so.0 depends only on some standard gcc libraries, and so if you have gcc3 installed, it could be fine.
Most importantly, the command ldd <library_file> (or <executable>) gives you a list of libs on which the given one depends. Try it on your geant plugin... it might be that it needs more libs, but when you try to run it, it crashes on the first one that's missing.

As an aside, I think the AUR gcc3-g77 package might be failing because glibc on present systems is much newer. But that's just a guess.

#5 2008-02-23 11:24:54

quarK

Oh happy day.... wink

After some "googleing" I found the library at this site: http://www.fluvial.ch/download.html. I extracted the .tar file into /usr/lib/ and voilà! My GEANT works just fine. big_smile

About the dependencies-issue: When I used GEANT on ubuntu, the same library was missing as well, but available as a standard .deb package. When I installed it, there were no further dependencies installed. So I figure you are right saying

But, it might quite well be that libg2c.so.0 depends only on some standard gcc libraries, and so if you have gcc3 installed, it could be fine.

Well, thank you very much for your kind support,

cheers,
daniel

Board footer