You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-25 14:09:08

markc
Website

Daily KDE4 Subversion Packages

This project is now all but finished after 20 months of daily updates with perhaps only about a dozen days of total downtime. During that time about 5TB of bandwidth was provided from my shared host by the good folks at Dreamhost and at it's peak, in late 2008, about 70 people were pulling 25GB everyday. Last of the Wolves has kindly offered to occasionally update the packages and anyone is welcome to help out to continue the tradition.

# for i686 users
[kde-stephan]
Server = http://pkg.eth-os.org/kde/stephan/i686

# for x86_64 users
[kde-stephan]
Server = http://pkg.eth-os.org/kde/stephan/x86_64

The source packages are now available from...

git clone git://gitorious.org/kde-git-pkgbuilds/kde-git-pkgbuilds.git

and feel free to join the team at...

http://gitorious.org/+kde-git-pkgbuilders

Last edited by markc (2009-11-21 04:41:13)

#2 2008-02-26 01:15:02

Cimi
Website

Re: Daily KDE4 Subversion Packages

There are symbols lookups errors here, with 25 february build.

Murrine Creator - GNOME Developer

#3 2008-02-26 08:08:10

Cimi
Website

i686 (@testing @unstable):
kstartupconfig4
kdostartupconfig4: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.5: undefined symbol: _Z7qstrcmpRK10QByteArrayS1_

This is a fresh install from your packages, I haven't got any kde packages before (I'm a gnome developer smile )

Last edited by Cimi (2008-02-26 08:09:12)

#4 2008-02-26 12:23:01

Cimi
Website

ldd /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.5
    linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb7f9f000)
    libQtCore.so.4 => /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4 (0xb7bc6000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7b8e000)
    libQtNetwork.so.4 => /usr/lib/libQtNetwork.so.4 (0xb7ae0000)
    libQtDBus.so.4 => /usr/lib/libQtDBus.so.4 (0xb7a6e000)
    libQtXml.so.4 => /usr/lib/libQtXml.so.4 (0xb7a05000)
    libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0xb79f3000)
    libbz2.so.1.0 => /lib/libbz2.so.1.0 (0xb79e2000)
    libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0xb79d0000)
    libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb78e2000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb78bd000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7787000)
    libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb777c000)
    libgthread-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0 (0xb7777000)
    librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb776f000)
    libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xb76cf000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb76cb000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x80000000)
    libdbus-1.so.3 => /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0xb7679000)
    libpcre.so.0 => /lib/libpcre.so.0 (0xb7651000)

so, i reinstalled qt-copy and it worked

Last edited by Cimi (2008-02-26 15:07:13)

#5 2008-02-26 23:12:18

Kermit

When I try to install kde-svn then pacman want to install kdelibs3.5.8 and some other stuff from old KDE.

Kermit.

#6 2008-02-27 00:59:09

Cimi
Website

Kermit wrote:

When I try to install kde-svn then pacman want to install kdelibs3.5.8 and some other stuff from old KDE.

Kermit.

place the repository entry in the first place, even above testing repo.
Pacman gives more priority to the first repo it finds, so if extra is first, it will use extra

#7 2008-02-27 12:28:12

b9anders

how far has the dailies come compared to 4.0?

#8 2008-03-03 12:45:42

bearyblue

Can you provide PKGBUILDs you use? smile

#9 2008-03-03 14:54:52

Rasi
Website

markc wrote:
b9anders wrote:

how far has the dailies come compared to 4.0?

Quite a long way, mainly that they now include kdepim and kmail. 4.0.2 should be out soon and that is an updated 4.0.1 using the current qt4.3.3 (I think) and will probably be reasonably stable. These daily updates include qt4.4 and seems to suffer from quite a few basic regressions for now. I've been using these builds as my main desktop for the last week and it is a little frustrating at times. No konversation (without installing KDE3 libs) so no IRC help for now, and klauncher crashes so a logout or reboot is required to keep using konqueror, otherwise it can't launch a new process. These svn builds are only useful if anyone wants to check out how 4.1 is progressing and/or wants to develop against the latest qt4.4 and svn HEAD. If anyone wants a reasonably stable KDE4 desktop then 4.0.2 was tagged on the 27th and will be released on the 5th March so maybe KDEmod4 will be ready by then, or soon after.

http://commitfilter.kde.org/ is a good way to stay up to date with the latest commits going into what will be the next svn build available.

I had to smile reading this... However much i like KDE and also Konversation... irssi runs just fine and even has more options smile and its just a /server irc.freenode.net, i guess everyone can do this, even if its a CLI app.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#10 2008-03-04 00:52:40

markc
Website

bearyblue wrote:

Can you provide PKGBUILDs you use?

Sure, they in the "eth-os" package so a pacman -S eth-os will install them into /var/abs/local/eth-os. There is a problem with them though as they do not pull in remote packages, only tarballs already built in /home/sources (or $SRCDEST), so they are useless without using the mksrcpgks script included in the eth-os package which checks out or updates about 4Gb of KDE trunk then builds the tarballs. You can obviously hack them to use some remote tarballs, or use mkscrpkgs... ah, I forgot to include a bash function to update each pkgrel number in each PKGBUILD with the days date. I'm gradually generalizing my main build script so it would be useful on someone elses machine but it's taken me a month just to get the packages built and uploaded every night automatically, as it is, and I want to change the package layout significantly for non-kde packages, so a subset of functions in mksrcpkgs will have to do for now. I will probably start uploading the source tarballs after I reorganize the repo layout.

Send any questions, suggestions or patches to pkg@eth-os.org

bearyblue wrote:

However much i like KDE and also Konversation... irssi runs just fine and even has more options

Yes, I was tempted to try something like that but having to learn how to use yet another app kind of put me off. I found kvirc and include it for now. I think kopete will have an IRC module rsn. I haven't heard how konversation is going with it's KDE4 port.

Last edited by markc (2008-03-04 00:53:12)

#11 2008-03-06 19:22:58

miggols99

I tried loading Quanta+ but it said

quanta: error while loading shared libraries: libkdevplatformshell.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

sad

#12 2008-03-07 02:49:18

markc
Website

miggols99 wrote:

quanta: error while loading shared libraries: libkdevplatformshell.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Try pacman -S kdevplatform as that library is in that package but quanta is in kdewebdev. Thanks for the notice, I'll make kdevplatform a dependency of kdewebdev.

#13 2008-03-08 04:10:00

SoftVision

Hi. I have KDEMod (KDE3) at the moment. I saw a review of KDE 4.1 on polishlinux.org and miggols99s blog mentioned that it seemed to be more stable than KDE 4.0.1. Unfortunately I'll probably miss out on the desktop effects for now since I have Intel onboard graphics. Is there a way to run both side by side? If not then could you tell me a command to list all the packages pacman has installed so I can manually remove the KDE3 apps I don't need like Amarok, Konversation. I can do without Konversation by simply using a Firefox extension called ChatZilla for now.

Also, has anyone tried KOffice 2? Apart from a few screenshots I haven't seen much written about it really.

#14 2008-03-08 04:46:34

markc
Website

SoftVision wrote:

Is there a way to run both side by side?

KDEmod(3) installs into /opt/kde and Qt3 into /opt/qt and these KDE SVN packages install into /usr so it may be possible to mix and match both together. I haven't tried this as I want to keep a clean kde4 from trunk system for testing and to build the packages on. The safest way is to use a spare 6+Gb partition and dual boot. qtparted is pretty reliable for creating an extra partition if you don't already have one... and, fwiw, I always create a few 6Gb partitions for multiple installs and then use the rest of the drive as a common /home partition for all of the boot partitions.

If not then could you tell me a command to list all the packages pacman has installed so I can manually remove the KDE3 apps I don't need like Amarok, Konversation.

I guess you could use pacman -Q | grep kdemod or pacman -Qg kdemod (or kdemod-complete) to see what is currently onboard.

I can do without Konversation by simply using a Firefox extension called ChatZilla for now.

Ah, good point, I forgot about that extension. Kvirc does not seem to build with Qt4 so I actually have been using irssi as suggested by Rasi (thanks btw).

Also, has anyone tried KOffice 2? Apart from a few screenshots I haven't seen much written about it really.

If you are interested to try it then I'll see if the source from trunk will build over the weekend and add them to my repo.

#15 2008-03-08 08:30:28

funkyou
Website

SoftVision wrote:

Hi. I have KDEMod (KDE3) at the moment. I saw a review of KDE 4.1 on polishlinux.org and miggols99s blog mentioned that it seemed to be more stable than KDE 4.0.1. Unfortunately I'll probably miss out on the desktop effects for now since I have Intel onboard graphics. Is there a way to run both side by side? If not then could you tell me a command to list all the packages pacman has installed so I can manually remove the KDE3 apps I don't need like Amarok, Konversation. I can do without Konversation by simply using a Firefox extension called ChatZilla for now.

This isnt even an alpha, so dont expect anything and never touch a running system just for the hype wink

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#16 2008-03-08 08:54:04

SoftVision

I appreciate your concern but I have tried KDE 4.0 RC2 and KDE 4.0.1 before. Ill give the SVN a shot as well and see how long it takes for me to come back to KDEmod. I only wish there were updated Arch cds available so I wont have to keep using FTP install.

#17 2008-03-08 10:10:59

markc
Website

SoftVision wrote:

Ill give the SVN a shot as well and see how long it takes for me to come back to KDEmod. I only wish there were updated Arch cds available so I wont have to keep using FTP install.

Sounds like you are going to add these SVN packages to your current KDEmod setup and if that fails then probably reinstall KDEmod from scratch. If that is the case then consider repartitioning your drive to add another 6Gb partition and install SVN on to that new partition and leave your KDEmod installation intact and unadulterated. These SVN packages will work best without any other KDE libs around, being more stable, and obviously your KDEmod installation remains intact saving you the bother of a reinstall and re-setting up all your user preferences. This approach gives you the freedom to explore a pure KDE4 SVN install from trunk and also simply reboot back into a safe environment for those times when dealing with the bleeding edge becomes too tedious.

If you can manage to get yourself a spare partition, or even an external USB drive, then I can provide a simple script to install a fresh AL onto it if you are not sure how to do that... no install disk or liveCD needed.

Oh, and a point to consider for anyone actually interested in programming with Qt4.4, chasing down bugs and reporting them directly to bugs.kde.org, exploring how KDE4 works or perhaps just tinkering with plasmoids, then, as far as I know, these SVN builds from KDE4s official trunk are the ONLY regular and reliable daily BINARY packages available for any distribution anywhere on this planet. That's a shoutout to how good the Archlinux system is!

Last edited by markc (2008-03-08 10:23:15)

#18 2008-03-08 12:57:58

SoftVision

markc wrote:

If you can manage to get yourself a spare partition, or even an external USB drive, then I can provide a simple script to install a fresh AL onto it if you are not sure how to do that... no install disk or liveCD needed.

I can get myself a spare partition. That isn't a problem at all. But could you elaborate on this script you mentioned?

markc wrote:

Oh, and a point to consider for anyone actually interested in programming with Qt4.4, chasing down bugs and reporting them directly to bugs.kde.org, exploring how KDE4 works or perhaps just tinkering with plasmoids, then, as far as I know, these SVN builds from KDE4s official trunk are the ONLY regular and reliable daily BINARY packages available for any distribution anywhere on this planet. That's a shoutout to how good the Archlinux system is!

You make an good point there. Thanks for maintaining these packages. I hope you continue to maintain them even after KDE 4.1 is released so developers and users who wish to use bleeding-edge software have this option available.

Last edited by SoftVision (2008-03-08 13:10:06)

#19 2008-03-08 14:03:02

markc
Website

SoftVision wrote:

I can get myself a spare partition. That isn't a problem at all. But could you elaborate on this script you mentioned?

I just do it manually and have been meaning to script it up but that would take me a day or two (plus testing). I haven't used pacin before but it should work and it's worth having a look at the larch liveCD scripts anyway.

# add near the top of /etc/pacman.conf
[larch]
Server = ftp://archie.dotsrc.org/projects/archie/larch/larch4
# then
pacman -Syu && pacman -S pacin

Rough notes: mount your partition somewhere, run pacin and read it's help, install base packages to mounted partition then copy your cp -a /etc/{fstab,hosts,rc.conf,resolv.conf,X11/xorg.conf} /mnt/somwhere/etc, chroot /mnt/somewhere, edit /etc/fstab and change the / (root) line to match whatever /dev/sdaX your partition is, pacman -Syu, pacman -S xorg kde-svn and that should pull in most dependencies. Control-d out of the chroot and edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst and copy n paste the first (probably) boot stanza and replace the X in root (hd0,X) with the right number-1 of your partition, change the XXXX in "kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/XXXX ro" to your new partition. Cross fingers and try a reboot. All good learning and as long as you don't mess around with your current install settings then just reboot back to KDEmod as per normal and adjust accordingly or try again from scratch.

I hope you continue to maintain them even after KDE 4.1 is released so developers and users who wish to use bleeding-edge software have this option available.

I intend to keep this system going as long as I can manage it (no one can say forever) and in fact will keep adding more and more packages. I have a very specific KDE/Desktop and PHP/SQLite/Server vision in mind to aim for.

#20 2008-03-09 07:35:07

markc
Website

Here is a first cut at a custom script to setup a new Archlinux installation on a spare partition.

#!/bin/bash
#
# alinit v0.0.1 20080309 markc@renta.net GPL
#
#set -x

DEV=/dev/sda9
MNT=/media/sda9

PKGS="
  base
  base-devel
  gpm
  sudo
  rsync
  openssh
  xorg
  "

[ -n "$1" ] && DEV=$1
[ -n "$2" ] && MNT=$2

FROOT="$DEV $(cat /etc/fstab|grep "[ \t]/[ \t]"|sed 's/^[^ \t]*[ \t]\(.*\)/\1/')"
FSWAP=$(cat /etc/fstab|grep "[ \t]swap[ \t]"|head -n 1)
FHOME=$(cat /etc/fstab|grep "[ \t]/home[ \t]"|head -n 1)
OLDDEV=$(/bin/ls -l /dev/root|awk '{print $10}')
OLDMNT="/media/$(basename $OLDDEV)"
FOLDROOT="$OLDDEV $OLDMNT auto defaults,user,exec,dev,suid 0 2"

[ -d $MNT/var/lib/pacman ] || mkdir -p $MNT/var/lib/pacman
[ -d $MNT/var/cache/pacman/pkg ] || mkdir -p $MNT/var/cache/pacman/pkg
[ -d $MNT/dev ] || mkdir -p $MNT/dev
[ -d $MNT/sys ] || mkdir -p $MNT/sys
[ -d $MNT/proc ] || mkdir -p $MNT/proc
[ -d $MNT$OLDMNT ] || mkdir -p $MNT$OLDMNT

mount --bind /sys $MNT/sys
mount --bind /proc $MNT/proc

pacman --noconfirm -r $MNT --cachedir /var/cache/pacman/pkg -Sy $PKGS

umount $MNT/proc
umount $MNT/sys

cp -a /etc/{pacman.conf,hosts,rc.conf,resolv.conf,X11/xorg.conf} $MNT/etc
[ -f /etc/conf.d/gpm ] && cp /etc/conf.d/gpm $MNT/etc/conf.d/gpm
[ -f /root/.bashrc ] && cp /root/{.bashrc,.bash_profile} $MNT/root/
[ -f /etc/sudoers ] && cp /etc/sudoers $MNT/etc/sudoers

echo -e "$FROOT\n$FSWAP\n$FHOME\n$FOLDROOT" >> $MNT/etc/fstab

pacman -Sc --noconfirm
cp -a /var/cache/pacman/pkg/* $MNT/var/cache/pacman/pkg

if [ -z "$(grep $DEV /boot/grub/menu.lst)" ]; then
  ROOT=$(cat /boot/grub/menu.lst|grep ^root|head -n 1)
  echo "
title           Linux ($DEV)
$ROOT
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz26 root=$DEV ro quiet
initrd          /boot/kernel26-fallback.img" >> /boot/grub/menu.lst
fi

#21 2008-03-09 08:21:45

SoftVision

So where does the script import those base packages from? Your existing Arch installation?

#22 2008-03-09 13:29:05

markc
Website

SoftVision wrote:

So where does the script import those base packages from? Your existing Arch installation?

Yes, thats the --cachedir /var/cache/pacman/pkg part of the pacman command, it gets its initial packages from the current packages and then uses a cp further down to copy all those packages onto the new partition once it's set up. Saves downloading everything twice. There is also a -Sy so the latest repo databases are downloaded which means the latest packages are downloaded first then installed. As mentioned, this is a first cut at it for me and I didn't have time to fine tune it or write some notes.

The actual kde-svn packages could be downloaded after rebooting into the new partition, or you could do a "pacman -Sy kde-svn" beforehand (without a "u" update) to populate the current pkg cache before starting the script. The DEV and MNT variables need to be changed OR the same 2 variables could be passed in as "alinit /dev/xxxx /media/xxxx". No doubt it needs quite some polishing and generalizing to work on other folks systems but, once all the packages are downloaded, it takes about 2 minutes to populate my spare partition and I can immediately reboot into it after the script runs. I can then reboot back and do a "rm -rf /dev/xxxx/*" and set it all up again from scratch in another 2 minutes. Neat.

The only reason the kde-svn packages are not included at this stage is because of the libphonon conflict with qt-copy and kdelibs which requires manual intervention. A minor point is that, by convention, this system will reserve the "admin" user ID and a uid of 1000 for a default initial setup.

#23 2008-03-09 15:25:49

SoftVision

It won't work if I've used pacman -Scc before will it?

#24 2008-03-09 16:03:23

markc
Website

SoftVision wrote:

It won't work if I've used pacman -Scc before will it?

Well that completely clears the package cache but I would imagine all the packages would simply be downloaded again because of the -Sy in the pacman command.

#25 2008-03-09 18:02:40

Tigertailz

Hello, I just installed kde from your repo, for fun. Well now I want to remove all the kde packages, is there a way I can do that in one command ?

Board footer