You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-26 02:30:09

Majorix

[SOLVED] NET_PROFILES Line in rc.conf not Processed

I have WPA on a wireless connection, and after a little tinkering, I came to the conclusion that I needed Network Profiles. So I went ahead and created one for the wireless conn and one for the wired.

Everything seemed to work fine (at least on wireless, I haven't tested the wired connection) and I downloaded the updates, and a few extra packages and installed them.

After having installed a GUI and stuff, I rebooted into X. However, when I tried to go onto google on the browser, I couldn't. I tried other pages too, to no avail.

I can connect to the net fine on my desktop however, and I am posting from there.

It came to my attention that, while booting, it didn't even say "Starting the network profile" anymore. I thought it may be something wrong with the rc.conf, so I have tried setting the NET_PROFILES option there to
(wifi !wired)
(wifi)
(menu)
but it didn't work.

I have gone ahead and set the hostname to something else in the main profile (wifi) to see if it would show up (that would mean the line is processed and the profile is working fine, right?), but it went for the default hostname (ie the one in rc.conf) again.

What could be wrong? I am so totally puzzled sad

EDIT: Thought I would add some more info.

The line ISN'T commented out.

I tried moving the line to the top but it didn't work.

And as a result the wireless device isn't recognized.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by Majorix (2008-02-27 03:58:08)

#2 2008-02-26 03:11:52

bender02

Re: [SOLVED] NET_PROFILES Line in rc.conf not Processed

There are two sets of wireless configuration scripts. The usual ones, and the new ones: testing/netcfg (wiki). I'm not sure which ones are you trying to use.

Just making sure: you have 'network' (traditional scripts) or 'net-profiles' (netcfg2 scripts) in your DAEMONS array, right?

#3 2008-02-26 03:28:19

Majorix

I am using the old traditional daemon. And yes, it is in the Daemons array.

But I had never heard of the other daemon... Should I try that perhaps? Or is there any way to fix the problem with the traditional daemon?

#4 2008-02-26 03:42:39

bender02

For the traditional scripts, you can check out its wiki.

Now, from what you wrote I couldn't determine what the problem is (maybe someone more knowledgeable could?), so some general things:
1. you need to have modules for your wireless card loaded. This doesn't always happen automatically (check the wiki). You can see if the modules are loaded by running 'iwconfig' on the command line. If the modules are loaded, the device corresponding to your card should show up.
2. since you say "Starting the network profile" doesn't appear anymore, there could be some problem with the network script. Are the profile files in the right place? Does the network daemon show any output?
3. Are you using testing? More precisely, what version of initscripts do you have installed? (2007.11-2 (from core) or 2008.02-1 (from testing)?) With the newer ones, you should use netcfg2, I think the /etc/rc.d/network script doesn't support NET_PROFILES anymore.

#5 2008-02-26 03:56:00

Majorix

1. They seem to be loaded. iwconfig shows my wireless device.
2. I placed the profiles in the folder that the wiki showed to, ie /etc/network-profiles/wifi and so on. And no, I can't see any output from the Network daemon. BTW how do I see the startup log? Is that possible?
3. I am using unstable. Lol. I always liked testing the newest but unstable stuff. And did you just say network profiles aren't supported anymore? Aha! That would explain it. I think I should change to the newer daemon. I will post back.

EDIT: Nope, it didn't help. I get a "Wireless Association failed" with netcfg2 no matter what I do.

Last edited by Majorix (2008-02-26 05:10:52)

#6 2008-02-26 05:18:43

bender02

Well, it's at least trying to connect.

At this point I'd try to connect manually from command line just using iwconfig, dhcpcd, and/or wpa_supplicant (if you're using WPA), just to see if it can be done. If you can't connect, then the problem is probably not with the startup scripts, but somewhere else (driver perhaps). If you can, adjust your /etc/network.d/<someprofile> and /etc/rc.conf accordingly.

EDIT: And there are no explicit logs of the init procedure. What you can do though is to put a line with 'read' into the /etc/rc.local script. This makes the init process wait for a keypress at the end, so you can take your time reading the results of init scripts.

Last edited by bender02 (2008-02-26 05:20:36)

#7 2008-02-26 11:11:54

Harey

Another Question:

Did you enable the testing repository in /etc/pacman.conf ? There is an update to the initscripts there that caused the same behavior for me. I have to manually start my (formerly working) network via netcfg2 now. Seems to be a bug concerning initscripts in 'testing' repo.

Tell us the ouput of

pacman -Qs initscripts

If it is 'initscripts 2008.02-1' you are using the new ones.

Harvey

Linux is like a wigwam: No Gates, no Windows and an Apache inside

#8 2008-02-26 13:40:49

codemac
Website

#9 2008-02-27 03:57:39

Majorix

OK. I reinstalled Arch just to be sure, and then didn't enable testing/unstable this time. Everything went fine! Thanks guys!

Now, how do I report a bug? Or is there one filed already? I am new you see smile

#10 2008-02-27 05:00:58

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Board footer