You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-16 02:52:15

OrionFyre

[solved] configuring wlan during set up

OK. So I probably got way to in over my head here.
But i've already learned oodles from my adventures.

EDIT: I have no graphical enviroment installed yet as I'm following hte beginners guide VERBATUM which still hasn't helpped me much in the way of getting this working. In fact everything i've done so far I've stumbled through with someone telling me three commands "iwconfig, ifconfig, and iwlist".

I would assume setting up a conection through wireless to the net in the command line would be pretty straight forward but am having problems doing so.

I'm installing and am currently still working in BASH (correct term for just the command line right?) I am attempting to connect to the internet through my router.

iwlist output showing my router information:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo iwlist wlan0 scanning
wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:0D:88:A0:DC:B3
                    ESSID:"CUDE"
                    Mode:Master
                    Channel:6
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Quality=55/100  Signal level=-75 dBm  Noise level=-127 dBm
                    Encryption key:off
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
                    Extra:tsf=0000007a1773e557

I performed

iwconfig wlan0 channel 6 essid CUDE ap 00:0d:88:a0:dc:b3
ifconfig wlan0 up

dhcpcd wlan0 results in a time out. and I have tried it MULTIPLE times. (ten times in a row to be exact)

ping still does not get a response from google... nor any place INCLUDING 192.168.0.1 which IS my router's address. ifconfig shows me recieving the occasional packet (RX packets:508 the last time i checked before i booted to my Ubuntu live CD I'm on now.) but no TX... even when I specify the interface in ping -I wlan0 it still comes back with nothing.

I have looked through the wiki and found nothing that I can decipher as being instructional on how to get this set up without a manager...

I'm irked with all the extras that come with ubuntu and want something lean. but. I'm at a loss as to how to continue my installation without being able to get on the net to get the packages i need hmm

Last edited by OrionFyre (2008-03-16 22:26:11)

#2 2008-03-16 03:27:19

OrionFyre

Re: [solved] configuring wlan during set up

or is it possible to get a GUI installed to the system from the CD without the need of the network? if so how?

#3 2008-03-16 03:42:57

tigrmesh
IRC Op

No.  Have you read the beginner's guide?

This article talks about using a live cd from a graphical distro to jump-start pacman:  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … _Interface.

#4 2008-03-16 06:49:28

Sigi

I'm not sure if this one makes a difference or not (and I'm too lazy to try it out) but it could be that the ifconfig wlan up issued after iwconfig sets the settings of iwlist back. Try it the other way around:

ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid CUDE
dhcpcd wlan0

It's worth a try...

edit: typo

Last edited by Sigi (2008-03-16 06:50:18)

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#5 2008-03-16 07:37:16

ph0tios

After you assign the essid to wlan0 does it stick or when you run iwconfig does everything still look the same?

Also, did you install specific drivers for your wireless device, or are you just using it out of the box? My laptop which uses a broadcom chipset, and my desktop which uses an airforce 1, both showed up after a fresh install of Arch. However, neither were actually functional until I did some tweaking; which is why I ask.

#6 2008-03-16 22:25:41

OrionFyre

Sigi wrote:

I'm not sure if this one makes a difference or not (and I'm too lazy to try it out) but it could be that the ifconfig wlan up issued after iwconfig sets the settings of iwlist back. Try it the other way around:

ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid CUDE
dhcpcd wlan0

It's worth a try...

edit: typo

I don't know why but that works. After I logged back into Arch from the liveCD after posting and I got to playing around I did it in that order on accident and just as I was about to go "oh you dumb dumb" the dhcpcd wlan0 command completed succesfully.

I am in a gnome environment now and posting from my Arch Install.
__/|\__ peculiar indeed. but now it works. And As long as it works I'm not going to complain

A major thanks to all.

Board footer