You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-26 02:51:50

xnooby2

killed by fonts

About every month I try to switch to Arch, and every month I give up after spending hours and hours trying to get firefox to display fonts properly.  The combinations of WM, LCD vs CRT, AUR, nVidia, font packages, results in a never ending  battle to get my fonts to look right.  Arch needs something like hwd for fonts.  I end up randomly guessing at the magical combination that will make my fonts look like a screenshot from a pro's box.  but it never happens.  I end up going back to ubuntu which renders webpages perfectly after a fresh install.  There are too many combinations of things.

#2 2008-03-26 03:51:43

Divingstar

Re: killed by fonts

I had the same problem when I first came to Arch.  A quick fix for ugly fonts that I have found is to:

$pacman -S ttf-ms-fonts

Then change all fonts to sans-serif.  Some Linux purists frown on MS fonts (or MS anything for that matter:P) but it gets my system to look great with minimal fuss.  Then you can look around for other fonts etc without all the ugliness.

Good luck,
Jim

#3 2008-03-26 07:13:08

eerok

With a topic like this it's a good idea to provide screenshots of what you have and what you want, because there are many different opinions on what looks good.

noobus in perpetuus

#4 2008-03-26 07:31:01

brebs

xnooby2 wrote:

There are too many combinations of things.

Yeah, but just attack them one at a time. Get the window manager fonts looking good, *then* start tweaking firefox.

If Ubuntu's firefox is working well, then write a pkgbuild for it - example.

#5 2008-03-26 11:54:21

peets
Website

This is how I got my fonts to look pretty: from a fresh install,

pacman -S ttf-bitstream-vera

I set firefox to use  Bitstream Vera Serif or Bitstream Vera Sans.

But I know this depends on monitors and such. Here're some screenshots
verasansxh2.th.png
veraserifce3.th.png

peppy wrote:

Never give up. Trust your instincts.

But remember he did go on to say "It's a trap!"

#6 2008-03-26 12:43:19

Ramses de Norre

In gnome and kde, installing a decent font (DejaVu in my case) and using the right settings in their font-config was all it took, those dialogs aren't hard to get right. In a lighter WM you can be fiddling more, but I normally don't have to do much to get everything fine on my lcd.

#7 2008-03-27 01:46:14

xnooby2

I've been told this is too many fonts:

pacman -S ttf-ms-fonts ttf-dejavu artwiz-fonts ttf-liberation

I'm now trying ArchLinux inside VMWare on XP, so I don't have to keep reinstalling it everytime I screw up my fonts.  Ultimately my 2nd box will run Arch natively, once I get the fonts straight. 

If the fonts look weird under VMWare (which is possible), I go back to the native box and use Clonezilla to roll it back.  I try so many things I forget what i've changed, thats why I like go back to a previous image.

I'm thinking of using the tiling WM "Awesome" to test the fonts with Firefox, so I don't have any WM stuff going on.  I installed GNOME on my native box, and it made all the small fonts fuzzy.  I could also try OpenBox, FluxBox, or IceWm, but I can never figure out which one I like.  Tiling WM's solve my lack of art skills by eliminating all the eyecandy, lol.

From the responses, it looks like I should only install the bitstream-vera fonts or microsoft fonts, then tell Firefox to use them. I thought if I load a ton of fonts it would increase my chances of the webpages looking good, but I guess that is wrong thinking.

EDIT:

I got a major improvement on my native box by using an nVidia-specific tweak, by specifying the DPI in the xorg.conf to be 96x96.  I still have issues, but at least it looks a lot better than it did.  I'll post screenshots once I learn how to make them.

Last edited by xnooby2 (2008-03-27 02:23:01)

#8 2008-03-27 02:48:42

xnooby2

The font wiki says to do this:

tar xfz freetype2-lcd*.tar.gz
cd freetype2-lcd
makepkg -c

but my machine did not have 'patch' or 'make' on it, so I had to manually install them.

#9 2008-03-27 03:17:06

bender02

xnooby2 wrote:

but my machine did not have 'patch' or 'make' on it, so I had to manually install them.

Well, if you want to build packages (makepkg), you are supposed to have the packages in the group 'base-devel' installed. Both of those are there.

#10 2008-03-27 04:35:23

thayer
Fellow
Website

xnooby2 wrote:

I've been told this is too many fonts:

pacman -S ttf-ms-fonts ttf-dejavu artwiz-fonts ttf-liberation

Someone lied smile

You can install thousands of fonts if you like... as a designer I have to have a large collection on hand at all times.  I can guarantee that 3 font packages are not too many.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#11 2008-03-27 08:56:36

danielsoft

xnooby2: Type about:config into your address bar. Type dpi into the filter and change layout.css.dpi to 0.

This fixed Firefox font issues for me. It's from the Firefox Arch Wiki page.

may the Source be with you

#12 2008-03-27 14:21:08

Endperform
Website

A lot of people seem to have a lot of different ways to fix the font issue.  My advice is to try a couple of them out and see what works best.  As mentioned, get the window manager fonts looking good first, then focus on Firefox.

#13 2008-03-27 15:54:12

thayer
Fellow
Website

One of the most difficult aspects of 'fixing' someone's fonts is that we don't know what they actually want their fonts to look like.  Screenshot samples go a long way in cases like this.

A while back I took a bunch of screenshots, each with different font settings.  In case anyone else is interested, you can find the results below (each file is named after the settings used):

http://dev.archlinux.org/~thayer/misc/x-font-rendering/

These days, I typically just use autohint and antialias (with manual hinting disabled.)  For me and my LCD screen, this produces a nicely antialiased appearance for just about all fonts.  I use bitmap fonts for stuff that needs to be really crisp (e.g Openbox menus).

Last edited by thayer (2008-03-27 15:57:20)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#14 2008-03-28 12:20:26

xnooby2

72 hours later, I'm going to have to take a break again.  Setting my nVidia card to 96DPI in my xorg.conf helped a lot, but the other things just shifted around the problems. 

Ironically, one of the websites I was trying to look at properly was desktoplinux.com.  There "Most Popular Recent Stories" on the bottom right, is in a font that I can never get to look good. Also CNN.com's story headlines are too bold (the ones under the main page).

I'll have to figure out how to make and post a screen shot, so can I show exactly what I am talking about.

I still think that font settings could greatly benefit from an application like "hwd".  Even if it just puts the fonts in some "Arch-preferred way".  I never really wanted to know this much about fonts.

Last edited by xnooby2 (2008-03-28 12:22:08)

#15 2008-03-28 12:44:47

brebs

xnooby2 wrote:

too bold

Read thread. See my posts on its first page. Then read the entire rest of the thread, for lots of hints...

It would be interesting to see a screenshot of what you say Ubuntu does so well, hint hint wink

#16 2008-03-28 14:15:42

danielsoft

xnooby2 wrote:

I'll have to figure out how to make and post a screen shot, so can I show exactly what I am talking about.

install the "scrot" package

may the Source be with you

Board footer