You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-26 08:58:32

ajb

kernel panic after upgrade

I did full upgrade yesterday(previous upgrade about 2 weeks ago). Everything has looked ok until i did reboot... I can't exactly say here what error i got first... I was trying to recover my system from livecd and i know that there is something wrong with mounting root partition.

After upgrade mkinitcpio with succesful exit status, also i've run lilo.
I'm using testing repo.

Now i don't have enough time, but in the evening i put here log from pacman.

Any idea, which upgraded package may broke my system? Please, help.

#2 2008-03-27 13:00:59

ajb

Re: kernel panic after upgrade

I have totally no idea what's gone wrong in my system. So I decided that easier will be reinstall system. In this case i have possibility to test 64bit version in daily desktop use.
I think I can say "solved"...

#3 2008-04-01 00:00:51

xs1223

Hi, ajb.

Are you using old IDE harddisk as root?

I upgraded my kernel26 package yesterday and got panic at reboot too. I think I've got the same problem as yours.The message show that the OS can't find the /dev/hda1 device, even thought I solve the root fstype error by adding some kernel command line options.

Fortunately, the OS boot up with my old customized kernel. I chek the pacman.log, and then I confirm that it may be something have changed in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf which affected the post install process of kernel26 package.

In the mkinitcpio.conf, the HOOKS option is most important. Users with some old IDE drivers should set it like

HOOKS="base udev autodetect [b]ide[/b] scsi sata filesystems"

using the ide instead of pata like the comments say.

I edited this conf and reinstalled the kernel26 package, then it boot OK.

This is my solution of my own problem. May be it can help you.

#4 2008-04-03 11:28:27

Trac3R
Website

After my update yesterday it has happend with my system, too. I tried to use old kernel images (arch from 03/23 and even suspend2 from 10/12/07) that I had elsewhere, but they do not work here.

So please would anyone tell me how I reinstall the kernel26 package with a system that does not boot and why such an important file like /etc/mkinitcpio.conf is overwritten with such "sane"default? A pacnew file would have been a sane default. I also haven't seen a warning for this. But maybe I was just blind. Or It was an April fools' joke. Ha ha!

Well, I would like to keep my system and don't want to reinstall. So what should I do now?

#5 2008-04-03 15:08:30

tigrmesh
IRC Op

@Trac3R,
To reinstall your kernel, chroot into your system following the instructions here:  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_Panics.

As far as keeping certain files for being overwritten by pacman, I know there's a way you can keep specified files from being overwritten; I think it's NoUpgrade, but I'm not sure.  Have a look at the pacman.conf man page.

#6 2008-04-03 16:06:47

Echo

I had some issues yesterday and the following helped me:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fix … _subsystem

One of you all that posted had similiar output as me on boot. " can't find /dev/hda1 " or similiar.

#7 2008-04-03 16:15:41

Trac3R
Website

Alright. Sorry, I always forget about this chroot thing. My last kernel panic was with Noodle.
So it works again. But I have one last question about this:

Why has mkinitcpio.d/kernel26-fallback.conf been removed? As I see in the pacsave, it would have included the right parameters to fallback ide disks. This ugly panic and chroot could have been prevented.

What you said about NoUpgrade might be right, but than I could do that with all files in /etc. I mean, an urgent warning that always appears in pacman updates with less importent stuff or just an entry in the news about this pata/ide issue could have helped a lot.

Nevertheless. It was only a temporary problem, so far I can file this into category hoaxes. wink

#8 2008-04-06 10:37:57

ajb

Hi, ajb.

Are you using old IDE harddisk as root?

No i don't. I have /dev/sda
I also had partition named by UUID in fstab, my root filesystem was(and still is) XFS, and now I remember, that first error that I get, was "unable to find modules.dep". But this file was in right place.

After this situation I've learned that I should have any other kernel, so I've installed kernel26-ice from aur. And after building initrd for this kernel, running lilo I've got the same error... then I changed mkinitcpio to .pacnew(i think that I've nothing changed in original mkinitcpio.conf) version rebuild initrd and now it works... I will be more careful now with kernels.

Board footer