You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-27 14:23:59

d3br074

gnome clock applet doesn't show weather

For some reason, i think with the upgrade to gnome 2.22.1 from 2.22.0 the clock applet stopped showing the temperature and weather icon that it used to show.  I don't know why.  Anyone know of a reason?

#2 2008-04-27 16:04:27

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Re: gnome clock applet doesn't show weather

Check the gnome bugzilla.  Maybe someone has submitted a bug report and/or workaround/patch.  Check the bugtrackers for ubuntu and gentoo as well.  I just configured it, and it doesn't work for me either.  The standalone weather applet works, but not the weather in the clock applet.

If no one has submitted a bug report to gnome, consider doing so yourself.

#3 2008-04-27 16:49:22

azleifel

Just configured it as well - not something I've ever used before - and it worked for me.  What I did was add a location and check "Show weather" in the clock applet's Preferences dialog, closed the Preferences, clicked on the clock to bring up the calendar, clicked on Locations, hovered the mouse pointer over the location that I had added (which was under the world map) and clicked the "Set" button that appeared (which turned into a home icon).

Last edited by azleifel (2008-04-27 16:49:56)

#4 2008-04-27 16:54:33

chicha

I add the same problem as the one reported by d3br074.
Remove and add again all your locations should make things go back to normal.

#5 2008-04-27 18:57:19

d3br074

I tried what Azleifel suggested, but there was no "Set" button that I could find.  it just wasn't there!? and I have tried removing the clock and adding it again but no change.

#6 2008-04-27 19:08:00

chicha

My solution is not to remove the clock, but to remove the cities you set in the clock preferences and add them again.
Did you tried this ?

#7 2008-04-27 19:25:33

d3br074

yup i tried that... on a side note, the weather works perfectly with the actual weather applet but not with the one within the clock, so i dont know what could be wrong?  also, i don't know if this applies but before the update, I had to use openntpd to set my time correctly, but it isn't needed anymore so I uninstalled it.  I dont know if this impacted anything or not...

#8 2008-05-24 15:00:31

ninja_pt

Same here! i installed archlinux and it dont shows the wheather next to the clock.

#9 2008-06-06 06:57:46

rcorder

Turns out, the clock applet will NOT show your weather/temp unless the timezone in your location matches the TIMEZONE variable set for your system (in /etc/rc.conf).  For me, I had to change mine from 'America/Los Angeles' to 'PST8PDT', which is what I had in my rc.conf.  After that, everything worked as expected.

Here is the same bug reported in Ubuntu:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bugs … 54308.html

#10 2008-06-06 08:11:43

xbrunox
Website

rcorder wrote:

Turns out, the clock applet will NOT show your weather/temp unless the timezone in your location matches the TIMEZONE variable set for your system (in /etc/rc.conf).  For me, I had to change mine from 'America/Los Angeles' to 'PST8PDT', which is what I had in my rc.conf.  After that, everything worked as expected.

True!

Persistence, persistence, persistence!

#11 2008-07-27 16:20:25

TuxStorm
Website

rcorder wrote:

This solution worked for me as well. Thank you.

Follow me on: twitter | plurk | flickr

#12 2010-10-10 09:28:08

xCrucialDudex

azleifel wrote:

Just configured it as well - not something I've ever used before - and it worked for me.  What I did was add a location and check "Show weather" in the clock applet's Preferences dialog, closed the Preferences, clicked on the clock to bring up the calendar, clicked on Locations, hovered the mouse pointer over the location that I had added (which was under the world map) and clicked the "Set" button that appeared (which turned into a home icon).

Excellent! This worked for me and it also told me how less of a normal user that relies on GUI I am these days. Before I'd almost certainly figure this out but nowadays I feel reluctant clicking-through for solutions. Rather read and google it up. Anyway, you saved me hours for which I'm thankful!

d3br074 wrote:

I tried what Azleifel suggested, but there was no "Set" button that I could find.  it just wasn't there!? and I have tried removing the clock and adding it again but no change.

Did you actually put your mouse cursor over the big neat clock? Did you try to move it around the timezone area name, the time (all on the right side of the neat looking clock)? In my case - GNOME 2.32.0 - the button was called Edit. After I clicked it GNOME requested my user password (the one I've had a GNOME session running for) and once I entered it weather icon appeared on the far left side of the clock applet:

screenshot4.png

rcorder wrote:

Seems irrelevant. I had two different timezones and was able to get it working as described above. Nevertheless, I tried what you suggested and put a timezone I choose for weather report in clock applet and that did not show it until I clicked Set button and entered my password.

Board footer