You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-29 02:06:03

solarwind

XFCE Sub-Pixel Hinting

There are four modes in XFCE for sub-pixel hinting: RGB, BGR, Vertical RGB and Vertical BGR. Which one should I set mine to? I have an LCD monitor. Can someone point me to more information regarding this please?

#2 2008-04-29 02:17:49

ozar

Re: XFCE Sub-Pixel Hinting

For my own LCD, I always use Full hinting with RBG sub-pixel rendering.  Makes the fonts look nice, thin, and crisp!

oz

#3 2008-04-29 03:15:39

solarwind

ozar wrote:

For my own LCD, I always use Full hinting with RBG sub-pixel rendering.  Makes the fonts look nice, thin, and crisp!

Thanks! What other tips and tricks do you recommend for improving the appearance of fonts for LCD monitors?

#4 2008-04-29 04:53:19

brebs

I'd suggest wading through this thread.

#5 2008-04-29 15:21:46

dunc

solarwind wrote:

There are four modes in XFCE for sub-pixel hinting: RGB, BGR, Vertical RGB and Vertical BGR. Which one should I set mine to? I have an LCD monitor. Can someone point me to more information regarding this please?

It depends on your monitor. If you can't find any information on which layout it uses (in the manual, for instance), you could try looking at the screen through a magnifying glass. But the pixels are so small that this doesn't really work as well on LCD monitors as it did on CRT TVs - where you didn't need the information. hmm So try RGB first; it's the most likely. If you absolutely can't get it to look good with that no matter what else you do, try the others.

0 Ok, 0:1

#6 2008-04-29 19:33:04

solarwind

dunc wrote:
solarwind wrote:

It depends on your monitor. If you can't find any information on which layout it uses (in the manual, for instance), you could try looking at the screen through a magnifying glass. But the pixels are so small that this doesn't really work as well on LCD monitors as it did on CRT TVs - where you didn't need the information. hmm So try RGB first; it's the most likely. If you absolutely can't get it to look good with that no matter what else you do, try the others.

Thanks again to all for the information!

#7 2008-04-29 20:57:22

keratos

erm! its soooo easy.

select each option and decide YOURSELF which one look best.

is it not that simple !!!!!!?

#8 2008-04-29 21:00:04

solarwind

keratos wrote:

erm! its soooo easy.

Never judge a book by its cover.

#9 2008-05-03 10:47:10

keratos

solarwind wrote:
keratos wrote:

erm! its soooo easy.

Never judge a book by its cover.

Pardon? Quite what the relevance of that statement is, I cannot understand.

If the display is esthetically pleasing, then accept it, if not, change it.

What else is there to judge in respect of the subpixel hinting.

OMG!

Last edited by keratos (2008-05-03 10:47:35)

#10 2008-05-03 23:07:02

dunc

keratos wrote:

Well, that's (more or less tongue) what I said. But there is a technically correct answer, which is that you should use the same layout of subpixels as your monitor does. That's the most likely to be aesthetically pleasing, because the algorithm will be working with your monitor, not against it. But of course there's nothing to stop you using another one (or none at all) if you don't like it. It's your machine, after all. smile

0 Ok, 0:1

#11 2008-05-04 07:49:16

keratos

dunc wrote:
keratos wrote:

Well, that's (more or less tongue) what I said. But there is a technically correct answer, which is that you should use the same layout of subpixels as your monitor does. That's the most likely to be aesthetically pleasing, because the algorithm will be working with your monitor, not against it. But of course there's nothing to stop you using another one (or none at all) if you don't like it. It's your machine, after all. smile

ah-ha!! absolutely concur with that one.

Do forgive me,I  didnt fully understand your rationale.

Board footer