You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-07 00:06:46

mouly

Can I improve performance by compiling and running programs?

I installed Arch Linux two weeks. It was not a simple installation like Ubuntu. But now I have a tailored OS and a better understanding of how it works. I hope one day I can switch my primary OS to Arch Linux. I know that Arch Linux is optimized for i686 processors; I wanted to take this idea to more recent processors.

I have a Core 2Duo processor. If I download the source code (of frequently used programs like Firefox) compile it on my computer and use the program will I get a better performance than downloading the binaries? I'm assuming that I can easily find a compiler that leverages the power of more recent processors.

If the answer if yes, please provide me some references to compilers and documentation.

#2 2008-05-07 00:35:01

Ashren
Website

Re: Can I improve performance by compiling and running programs?

You can compile your own packages with PKGBUILDs, makepkg and ABS,

See these links for further reference:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS … ild_System

When you say compiler I take it you mean compile flags specific for your processor?

Look here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Safe_Cflags

You probably won't feel any significant speed increase, though.

Edit: The reason to use these tools instead of the traditional way is that the packages created with these tools can be managed by pacman.

Last edited by Ashren (2008-05-07 00:38:05)

#3 2008-05-07 03:15:59

Allan
Pacman
Website

There are several thread discussing the benefits of compiling your own optimized packages.  Try searching the forum...

I'll summarize them for you.  It is probably not worth it for the small benefit.  You will spend more time compiling than you will ever save.

Then again, no-one here has really given good benchmarks.  If you want to try it out then report differences in speed, then that would solve this dilemma.

#4 2008-05-07 03:23:48

toofishes
Developer
Website

If you have a Core 2 Duo and you are worried about performance, shouldn't you look into using the x86_64 rather than i686 packages? These are more optimized than i686 for more current processors.

Of course, with that said, I second Allan's post- I don't think its really worth it.

#5 2008-05-07 03:30:01

bangkok_manouel

Optimizing CFLAGS may not bring a significant change, however, you may also have a close look at all the configure options of each package you want to build, you may add/remove some stuff that may help.

Board footer