You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-25 17:04:30

pelle.k

Confusion about a few packages marked explicitly vs dependency install

This is just _one_ example of what i'm asking about;
On my machine, "binutils"  is installed because it's a dependency on another package, and "attr" is apparently explicitly installed.
Both belong to the "base" package group and since i have "base" (who doesn't) installed, why do the install reasons differ?

I mean, if i install "base" shouldn't every package in base be marked as explicitly installed?

Last edited by pelle.k (2008-05-25 17:05:13)

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#2 2008-05-25 18:49:39

dolby

Re: Confusion about a few packages marked explicitly vs dependency install

Hmm you are right its the same here. Weird, moreover since the only package that requires binutils is gcc.

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2008-05-25 21:52:28

dolby

which iso did you use to install?

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#4 2008-05-25 21:59:39

shining
Pacman Developer

pelle.k wrote:

I mean, if i install "base" shouldn't every package in base be marked as explicitly installed?

Yes if you do pacman -S base the first time. But usually you don't do that, you just use the iso, so it depends on what list of packages the iso explicitly installs.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#5 2008-05-25 22:05:39

dolby

#6 2008-05-26 06:46:49

pelle.k

Yeah, i used the latest 2008.04-RC.
Ok, thanks for confirming this. I'll continue this on the bugtracker (thanks dolby!)

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

Board footer